In an inspiring follow to his Rookie of the Year award, Morant scored 44 points last night, including the above alley-oop to himself off the backboard. Though the Grizzlies lost to the Spurs (131-119), Morant showed why the future is bright in Memphis.
Terry Rozier also scored 42 points in the Hornets’ 121-114 loss to the Cavaliers yesterday.
This is just the third year in NBA history two players scored more than 40 points in their season openers:
- Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies): 44 points
- Terry Rozier (Charlotte Hornets): 42 points
- Tiny Archibald (Kansas City-Omaha Kings): 42 points
- Lou Hudson (Atlanta Hawks): 41 points
- Wilt Chamberlain (San Francisco Warriors): 56 points
- Walt Bellamy (Chicago Zephyrs): 43 points