Classy move, WNBA.
Before the league’s social distancing, remote Draft started, the league honored Gianna Bryant, Kobe’s daughter, as well as two of her teammates — Alyssa Altobelli and Payton Chester — by honorarily drafting them. The three, along with Kobe and five others, died in a tragic helicopter crash back on Jan. 26.
— WNBA (@WNBA) April 17, 2020
Well done, WNBA.
After that the Draft got underway and, as expected, Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu was taken first by the New York Liberty. Here are the women selected in the first round this year:
1. New York Liberty: Sabrina Ionescu (guard, Oregon)
2. Dallas Wings: Satou Sabally (forward, Oregon)
3. Indiana Fever: Lauren Cox (forward, Baylor)
4. Atlanta Dream: Chennedy Carter (guard, Texas A&M)
5. Dallas Wings: Bella Alarie (forward, Princeton)
6. Minnesota Lynx: Mikiah Herbert Harrigan (forward, South Carolina)
7. Dallas Wings: Tyasha Harris (guard, South Carolina)
8. Chicago Sky: Ruthy Hebard (forward, Oregon)
9. New York Liberty: Megan Walker (forward, UConn)
10. Phoenix Mercury: Jocelyn Willoughby (forward, Virginia)
11. Seattle Storm: Kitija Laksa (guard, Latvia)
12. New York Liberty: Jazmine Jones (guard, Louisville)
Congratulations to all the women. Hopefully, we will get to see them on the court soon.