Russell Westbrook has a way of getting under an opponent’s skin.
Monday night it was the Bulls’ Kris Dunn‘s turn.
While moving over in position on the strong side, Westbrook and Dunn made contact, and after the whistle blew for a foul (with the ball handler), Westbrook made a grand gesture of pushing Dunn off him. Dunn responded with an outsized shove. And then it was on.
There’s more stuff to break down here than the Zapruder film.
• Jeremi Grant of the Thunder came in and tried to go at Dunn a little, in front of Westbrook (protect the star).
• Bobby Portis tried to slide Grant out of the way, but…
• Robin Lopez came in and went at Grant getting in his face, so Grant basically throws Lopez into the first row.
• Which just made Lopez even madder, leading to a meme-worthy angry face.
• Bulls’ coach Jim Boylen gets Grant in a headlock and pulls him out of the situation.
• Steven Adams calmly makes sure Portis is out of the picture, then walks back over to Lopez and then Adams and Lopez get separated.
• In the end, the officials handed out for technicals: Westbrook, Dunn, Grant, and Lopez.
A few minutes later, Lopez blocked a Grant shot, decided to taunt him, and that got Lopez a second technical and he was tossed (Lopez is a veteran, he has to know the officials are going to call everything tight at that point). Watch Adams pat Lopez on the back as the Bulls’ big man makes the walk to the locker room.