In NBA history, there have been eight players with at least a 15-character last name (including spaces):
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (16)
- Butch van Breda Kolff (15)
- Jan van Breda Kolff (15)
- Martynas Andriuskevicius (15)
- Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje (15)
- Chris Douglas-Roberts (15)
- Michael Carter-Williams (15)
- Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot (15)
They’re no match for Clippers rookie Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who has an 18-character last name.
The Clippers had to go to extreme angles to get Gilgeous-Alexander’s name onto the back of his jersey. We already saw this humorous setup when Gilgeous-Alexander held up a jersey in his post-draft press conference (see above), but the jersey looks even more absurd on his back.
Darren Rovell of ESPN:
It doesn’t help that Gilgeous-Alexander is so lanky. As he bulks up, maybe this won’t stand out quite so much.