Mark Cuban is not buying DeAndre Jordan’s twitter apology

28 Comments

In the wake of DeAndre Jordan changing his mind and backing out of what he told the Dallas Mavericks to re-sign with the Los Angeles Clippers — and doing it in an unprofessional way, not taking calls from or meeting with Mavs owner Mark Cuban — Jordan took to Twitter to apologize.

This did not involve Jordan directly calling and speaking to Cuban (reportedly Jordan’s mother did, however).

Cuban took to the Cyber Dust app (he’s a primary investor and driver of the app, a Snap Chat competitor) to answer DeAndre and posted this, via Sam Amick of the USA Today.

Did Jordan write his own apology? No way to know for sure, but let’s say that it’s very rare for an athlete do to that and not a PR pro working for him.

Previously on Cyber Dust, Cuban explained his side of what happened when he tried to meet with Jordan (hat tip to the Sporting News for transcribing).

“Through all of Monday we were texting back and forth discussing players available, the amount of cap room we had left. Who our staff liked. Who he liked. How excited he was.

“Then on Tuesday the communications basically stopped and we started hearing rumblings from multiple people that something was up.

“So I flew down to Houston and got a room at the galleria, which is just a few minutes from his house I had my driver take me to his house. It’s inside a small gated community but the gate was wide open. So we drove in and I literally walked up to his door.

“There was no one home. So I texted him saying that I was there. I know something is up. Let’s talk. He texted me that he was on a date.

“I told him to have fun. I wasn’t in a rush, that I was happy to come by there and say hi or if he wanted to make the date fun, take them to Dallas for a night out.

“He didn’t respond.

“After about 10 mintues I went back to the hotel. I wasn’t going to sit in front of his house. I didn’t think that was right.

“When I got back to the hotel I texted him that I wasn’t in front of his house. Have fun on his date and we will talk.

“He hit me back immediately saying thanks.

“He knew I was in town. He knew I was close by. I knew something was up. I was getting the same reports everyone else was.

“I also knew his agents were coming to town. It made sense that he would talk to them and worst case, even if he was having second thoughts the agent would be able to give me updates.

“Like any big career move it’s natural to have second thoughts. So while I was concerned, I still wasn’t worried. SO I went to bed.”

Jayson Tatum throws down thunderous dunk on Paul George (VIDEO)

Getty
Leave a comment

The Boston Celtics are struggling on offense this season, a curiosity given that the NBA as a whole has been a high-scoring group this year.

Still, Boston is a favorite in the Eastern Conference and at their showdown on Thursday night with the Oklahoma City Thunder pitted their young players against Russell Westbrook and Paul George.

Celtics star sophomore Jayson Tatum was on display at the end of the first quarter. While out on the break, Tatum threw down a thunderous dunk over George that rocked the rim and the crowd at Chesapeake Energy Arena.

Via Twitter:

The Celtics got back on track with a 40-point third quarter after a rough first half and beat Oklahoma City, 101-95.

So what was going on with the scoreboard in that Blazers-Magic game?

AP
Leave a comment

The logistics nightmare that is putting together an NBA broadcast too mind-boggling to conceive as one person. Still, most teams have their game plan in this area down pat, and things usually go smoothly.

Usually.

During Thursday night’s game between the Portland Trail Blazers, things weren’t as flawless as you would expect for the Fox Sports Orlando broadcast. At different points in the game, the scoreboard looked a little wonky.

And by little, I mean a lot.

Pretty shocking that the Blazers were able to come back after being down by 68 points with just five minutes to go in the 4th quarter, right?

I’m kidding, of course. Somebody’s fingers were just a little bit slippery on Thursday in the broadcast truck. For your own edification, the Blazers did not score 98 points in the first 15 minutes, nor did Orlando score 183 points.

They eventually corrected the scoreboard, and Portland beat the Magic, 128-114.

Tickets to Cavaliers games are selling for $2 on third party sites

AP
Leave a comment

With LeBron James now a member of the Los Angeles Lakers, you knew it was going to be a down year in Cleveland for the Cavaliers. However, nobody thought the team was going to take this much of a dip.

According to TMZ, Cavaliers tickets were reselling on third-party sites for Wednesday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets for $2.

Seriously.

Cleveland got hammered by the Nets, 102-86, but that’s not even the worst part. Looking at reseller websites, there are several games for the Cavaliers that fans could purchase for single-digit figures.

In fact, for a game next week against the Atlanta Hawks, parking is four (4!) times the cost of a ticket.

The reality is that teams don’t make as much money as you might think off of getting people in the door. The NBA machine is based on TV deals, concessions, apparel, and corporate suite sales. Teams also have complex algorithms that determine the price of tickets throughout the course of the day.

Nevertheless, if you are in Northeast Ohio and want to head out for a game, apparently you’ll get some change back from you $20 at Quicken Loans Arena.

JaVale McGee says incorrect asthma concerns may have lowered his value

AP
Leave a comment

You may have heard about Los Angeles Lakers big man JaVale McGee struggling with asthma. On its face, it seems like a fairly surprising condition for a professional athlete to have, especially in a sport which requires so much running.

Pace is faster than ever this year, and the Lakers themselves are trying to outrun opponents. What does that mean for McGee?

The answer is more complicated than you think.

In a recent article on ESPN, McGee said that his asthma is not as bad as folks have made it out to be, and the rumored severity of his condition may have actualy hurt him over the course of his career.

Via ESPN:

“This is what I want to say about the asthma,” McGee said when asked about it after the game. “Stop bringing that up like I’m out here wheezing and having asthma attacks. I’ve never had an asthma attack in my life. I feel like that’s definitely lowered my value as a basketball player.

“People say, ‘Oh he only can play 20 minutes because he has asthma.’ No. there’s a lot of people with asthma in the league. I feel like somebody stamped that excuse on me like, ‘Cool, we can play him low minutes because he has asthma.'”

Well there you have it. No doubt we will continue to hear mentions of McGee’s asthma as the season goes on, particularly on national broadcasts when these sorts of things get trotted out as details for color commentators to mention.

But from McGee himself, apparently his asthma isn’t something we should be concerned about. He’s made more than $55 million over the course of his career according to Basketball Reference, so he’s not hurting too bad.