Report: Nets ‘done with’ Jason Kidd, discussing compensation with Bucks for hiring him away

46 Comments

Jason Kidd appears to be on his way out of Brooklyn, after a stunning failed power play to gain more control within the organization.

Kidd apparently came hard at management for a more executive role, one that would include player personnel decision-making responsibilities. He had already lined up a similar opportunity with the Bucks, it seems, thanks to a past personal and financial relationship with one of the team’s new owners.

But Nets ownership wasn’t feeling it, and were so taken aback by this turn of events that they reportedly have already decided that Kidd won’t be coming back.

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Kidd made a failed coup to Brooklyn’s Russian ownership to usurp the power of Nets general manager Billy King – and failed spectacularly. The Nets and Bucks are discussing compensation for Milwaukee hiring Kidd away, which will likely include second-round draft picks, sources told Yahoo Sports.

“The Russians are done with Kidd,” one high-ranking league source told Yahoo Sports on Saturday night. …

Kidd isn’t angling to immediately take over as president and coach, sources said, but is intrigued with the higher-paying, lower-workload life of an executive, sources said.

There’s plenty more in that report, including details on Kidd’s many missteps in his personal and professional life. Most recently, Kidd was suspended for his first two games as Nets head coach for a DWI guilty plea, and begged the front office to make Lawrence Frank an extremely well-paid assistant coach with a six-year, $7 million deal, only to have Kidd banish him less than six weeks into the regular season.

Kidd was also reportedly annoyed that Steve Kerr and Derek Fisher received higher-dollar deals this summer to similarly coach without any prior experience, which (if true) would be completely ego-driven, considering he has over $187 million in career earnings as a player, without including any money received from endorsements.

The executive life may be what Kidd is ultimately seeking, but he’ll find out quickly that it won’t be easy in Milwaukee. Free agents historically haven’t come willingly to that market, and no matter how enthusiastic the new ownership group may be, you’ll never see the Bucks match the $190 million payroll and luxury tax bill that the Nets billionaire owner signed off on last season.

Rumor: Patrick Beverley may meet with five teams before Clippers

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Los Angeles Clippers want to bring Patrick Beverley back next season, his spark was at the heart of why this team made the playoffs and impressed with their potential.

First, however, the Clippers are going big game hunting for the likes of Kawhi Leonard and/or Kevin Durant (even with the Achilles injury). Beverley isn’t just going to sit around and wait for them, reports longtime NBA reporter Sean Deveney Tweeted.

The Bulls need a point guard and Beverley — a Chicago native — has said he is interested.

The Lakers also are reportedly big game hunting, but Beverley is the kind of guard they could use around LeBron James and Anthony Davis. Phoenix and other teams have been mentioned.

Beverley is going to have options, but he loved his time with the Clippers last season, and that means something.

Pelicans reportedly pick up option year on coach Alvin Gentry

Associated Press
Leave a comment

David Griffin, the guy with the hammer in New Orleans, likes Alvin Gentry. They have a relationship that goes back to Phoenix, where Gentry was the coach and Griffin was in the front office (and was eventually GM).

Gentry also has a style of play — he wants to run and be up-tempo. That should fit very well with soon-to-be No. 1 draft pick Zion Williamson.

So it shouldn’t be a surprise the Griffin and the Pelicans want to keep Gentry around, as reported by Malika Andrews of ESPN.

This is another smart, stabilizing move by Griffin. The Pelicans want to build an athletic, fast-paced team and Gentry is the right coach for that style.  Maybe it doesn’t pan out, maybe the Pelicans ultimately need to go another direction with their coach, but right now this seems a good fit.

Report: Utah “frontrunner” to land Mike Conley Jr. if Memphis trades him this week

Getty Images
1 Comment

Utah feels like it is close — a 50-win team two seasons in a row, an elite defense, an All-NBA center in Rudy Gobert and an elite shot creator in Donovan Michell. They look at the West next season, with a depleted Warriors team, and see an opening.

Yet when Utah fell to Houston 4-1 in the first round of the playoffs this year, it was reminded of what is keeping the team from being truly elite, and another shot creator and shooter is at the top of that list.

Enter Mike Conley Jr. He averaged 21.1 points and 6.4 assists per game last season, shot 36.4 percent from three, and plays strong defense. Conley would be an upgrade over Ricky Rubio at the spot.

The almost All-Star point guard out of Memphis is available via trade. He’s the kind of veteran floor general, shooter, and shot creator Utah could use. The Jazz and Grizzlies talked but couldn’t come to an agreement at the trade deadline, but the sides are talking again and conversations are “intensifying” in the run-up to the NBA Draft Thursday, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The Grizzlies are intensifying talks to potentially move franchise cornerstone Mike Conley Jr., league sources told The Athletic. Memphis has been in conversations with the Jazz and Utah is a frontrunner to acquire Conley should the Grizzlies trade the point guard during draft week, league sources said.

What would be in a trade package? Certainly the No. 23 pick in this draft, plus some young players the Grizzlies like (maybe Grayson Allen, Royce O’Neal, and even someone like Jae Crowder. Reports say Derick Favors is not part of the discussion.

While anything can happen the week of the draft — and things change quickly — don’t be surprised if some version of this trade gets done.

Kawhi Leonard wins day with last laugh — his viral laugh — at end of speech

1 Comment

Kawhi Leonard just won again.

He won his second NBA title leading the Toronto Raptors to the franchise’s first crown. He earned his second Finals MVP in the process.

Then on Monday he had the last laugh and won the Raptors’ championship parade in Toronto by ending his speech with his laugh, the same one that went viral at the start of the season.

Of course, what Leonard will do on July 1 was a cloud hanging over the parade, Leonard is a free agent this summer. Kyle Lowry at one point started a “five more years” chant during the parade, which is the maximum number of years Toronto can re-sign Leonard for.

Leonard, exactly as we all should have expected, dodged the question, while praising his time in Toronto.

Unfortunately, this was a parade marred by more serious concerns.