Blake Griffin on the Dunk Contest: ‘It’s something I would never do again’

42 Comments

Blake Griffin won the 2011 Dunk Contest by doing something that had never been done previously, and won’t be duplicated again.

The man jumped over a car.

While we can debate whether or not that sounds a lot more impressive than it actually was, the vibe at Staples Center was electric when the car was brought onto the court, and the perfect pass from Baron Davis that he threw from inside the vehicle was an underrated part that contributed to the overall spectacle.

We’ll have to cherish that singular moment from Griffin as far as All-Star weekend goes, however, because he says that his participation in those types of events will forever be a thing of the past.

From Arash Markazi of ESPN Los Angeles:

“I wouldn’t say it was a mistake [in 2011] because it was a great experience, but it’s something I would never do again,” said Griffin, who won the dunk contest that year.

“For me, All-Star Weekend is about getting a chance to rest as much as anything. With the All-Star Game alone you still have obligations almost all day Friday and you have some kind of an event Friday night and Saturday’s practice and appearances. Saturday night for me now has become the time where I hang out with my family and hang out with my friends and take it easy.”

Many players feel the same way, and it’s part of the reason the Dunk Contest has lacked star power in recent seasons. Paul George and John Wall aim to change that in New Orleans next weekend.

There’s nothing at all wrong with Griffin’s decision. He gave his considerable contribution to Dunk Contest lore, and did so in spectacular fashion.