Defending dunk-contest champion Terrence Ross names his desired challengers: Tony Mitchell, Andre Drummond and Victor Oladipo

5 Comments

If Paul George can stump for his desired dunk-contest field – even if he likely has no real intention of participating – the event’s defending champion should have a say, too.

The man who can do this probably knows a little something about dunking:

So, Terrence Ross, who should join you in the dunk contest this season? Mike Ganter of the Toronto Sun:

Specifically though, the first name that Ross came up with in terms of guys he would like to see challenge him was Detroit’s Tony Mitchell.Now Mitchell isn’t exactly a household name in the NBA yet, but then again neither was Ross a year ago when he won.“In my opinion, if he gets in it he’ll be in the position I was in last year,” Ross said. “Nobody kind of knows he can dunk, I mean they know he can dunk, but they don’t know what he can do. I know he’s a freak athlete from what I’ve heard.”

Ross also named Detroit’s Andre Drummond and Orlando’s Victor Oladipo as guys he would like to see before running out of ideas.

That would be a pretty fun dunk contest.

Mitchell has played just 37 minutes during his rookie year, but he proved his dunking bona fides before the season even started:

Drummond is more of a, relatively, questionable choice. He’s mostly a no-nonsense dunker in games. His biggest highlight – an off-the-backboard finish on a lob from Brandon Jennings – was more impressive due to Jennings’ pass than Drummond’s finish, and that was before an (unscientific) increase in off-the-backboard lobs this season became apparent. Drummond also dunked on Chris Brown once, so I guess there’s that.

Perhaps lacking slightly in resume, Drummond has incredible size and athleticism. The potential is definitely there for a fantastic dunk-contest showing.

Oladipo is probably the best choice of the bunch.

He’s shown the requisite style:

And power:

Marcus Smart announces he recovered, cleared of coronavirus

Omar Rawlings/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Marcus Smart stepped forward and self-identified as having tested positive for the coronavirus. He wasn’t showing any symptoms and went into self-quarantine, and last we heard was doing well.

Sunday, Smart said that two days ago he was cleared and has fully recovered from the virus.

Most importantly, this is excellent news for Smart and his friends and family (and, by extension, the Celtics). His health is the most important thing in this story.

The NBA has asked recovered players to donate plasma because scientists are hoping to use the blood — which has developed immunities — to help create a vaccine or medicine to slow COVID-19. It’s optional, but the league is encouraging players to help.

There have been 10 players and five NBA off-court staff — including Knicks owner James Dolan — who have tested positive for the disease. Fortunately, none of them have shown any advanced symptoms that required hospitalization.

Colorado junior forward Tyler Bey declares for NBA Draft

(Photo by Soobum Im/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

University of Colorado forward Tyler Bey has declared for the 2020 NBA Draft:

The junior averaged 13.8 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game for the Buffaloes. Bey shot 53% from the field overall and 74.3% at the free throw line.

Bey also extended his range a bit in his third year at Colorado. He knocked down 13-of-31 three-pointers (41.9%) on the season. At just six-foot-seven, he’ll need to be able to score from behind the arc to find a place in the NBA.

Most draft analysts have Bey pegged as an early second-round pick. Some thought he could play his way into the back-end of the first-round with strong pre-draft workouts. With the pre-draft process up in the air, NBA front offices may have to make their decisions based on what they’ve already seen in person and on tape.

Stephon Marbury has arrangement to procure 10 million medical masks for New York

(STR/AFP/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Former NBA player Stephon Marbury told The New York Post that he’s arranged a deal to deliver 10 million N95 medical masks to New York. These masks are much-needed among healthcare workers battling the COVID-19 pandemic.

Marbury is having the masks produced at cost in China, where he played the last seven years of his career.

Although Marbury currently lives in Beijing, China, he said “At the end of the day, I am from Brooklyn. This is something that is close and dear to my heart as far as being able to help New York.”

While growing up, Marbury starred at Abraham Lincoln High School in Brooklyn and on New York City’s famed playgrounds. After one year at Georgia Tech, Marbury left for the NBA. The high-scoring guard played for five teams during his 13-year NBA career, including his hometown New York Knicks.

After sitting out for two seasons, Marbury signed to play for the Beijing Ducks in 2011. The move was initially seen as a way for Marbury to prove he could still play at an NBA level. Instead, Beijing became home-away-from home for the New Yorker.

Marbury averaged 21.6 points per game in 271 contests spread over seven seasons with the Ducks.

Georgetown sophomore Mac McClung declares for 2020 NBA Draft

(Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Georgetown sophomore Mac McClung told ESPN Jonathan Givony that he’s declaring for the 2020 NBA Draft.

McClung first came to national prominence when his high school highlights blew up on YouTube:

In his second season at Georgetown, McClung averaged 15.7 points and 1.4 steals per game. A foot injury in late-January kept McClung out of the lineup for nearly a month. He returned for one game in late-February, but played just eight minutes off the Hoyas’ bench.

The six-foot-two guard is known for his deep shooting range and his highlight dunks. McClung’s shot is inconsistent however, as he shot under 40% in each of his first two seasons at Georgetown. McClung’s defense also needs work.

McClung projects to be a point guard in the NBA, due to his size. To make it as a lead guard, he’ll need to work on his ballhandling and playmaking. With those question marks, McClung is seen as a stretch to be drafted in the second round.

McClung stated he’s signing with an NBA/NCAA approved agent. That will allow him to keep his college eligibility as he goes through the pre-draft process.