Reports: Wizards talking to their No. 1 priority, Martell Webster, also pursuing Antawn Jamison

12 Comments

The Wizards got their backup point guard, a much-needed addition that will come in the form of Eric Maynor.

But Washington has bigger goals in free agency, mainly retaining small forward Martell Webster.

Webster, 26, had a breakout season last year, his first with the Wizards. He posted career highs in points per game (11.4), 3-point percentage (42.2), rebounds per game (3.9) and assists per game (1.9).

Washington just drafted Otto Porter, a seemingly NBA-ready small forward, but that doesn’t mean Webster will be cast aside.

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:

Webster is Washington’s “No. 1” priority, the source said, in free agency.

Ben Standig of CSN Washington:

With the league-wide financial frenzy set to commence, those interested welcome any clues indicating what will transpire. Webster returning to Washington at this exact moment is not one, so says the player himself. At the same time, Webster acknowledges there is a potential silver lining within the trip itself.

“Nah, I’m just coming to here to meet with the trainers,” Webster told CSNwashington after arriving at Reagan International Airport.

J. Michael of CSN Washington:

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld and forward Martell Webster “are talking” as of Monday afternoon, the opening of free agency, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CSN Washington.

Webster would set a nice bar for Porter. If Porter is immediately better, Webster isn’t too good to come off the bench. If Porter needs time, Webster can hold his own as a starter.

Attempting to build even more depth, the Wizards are also looking at Antawn Jamison. Spears:

The Wizards also texted their former forward Antawn Jamison, expressing interest Sunday night and would “love” to have him back, a source said. Jamison also is interested in returning to D.C., where he played for from 2004-10.

Jamison hasn’t hidden his unhappiness with how his season with the Lakers went, I think that’s more a product of him being 37 years old and less able to produce than Mike D’Antoni’s system not fitting him. Jamison won’t get any younger in Washington, but it’s a place he once had success.

If he’s hoping to recreate that magic, I think he’s just setting up himself for disappointment. But if Jamison is content with a lesser role in a place he’s comfortable, this could work. The Wizards, who have more-traditional bigs Emeka Okafor and Nene, could use Jamison as the stretch four who adds another element.

Former NBA player OJ Mayo to sign in China

(Photo by Gene Wang/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

When the Liaoning Flying Leopards of the Chinese Basketball Association return to play, they’ll have a familiar face to NBA fans suiting up for them. Liaoning announced they are signing former NBA player O.J. Mayo to a contract for the remainder of this season.

Mayo has been out of the NBA since the end of the 2015-16 season. The scoring guard was banned from the NBA due to a violation of the league’s anti-drug policy. He was eligible for reinstatement at the start of the 2018-19 season.

Since being banned from the NBA, Mayo has signed to play with various clubs in Puerto Rico, Taiwan and with a team in China’s second division.

During his eight-year NBA career, Mayo played for the Memphis Grizzlies, Dallas Mavericks and Milwaukee Bucks. The 32-year old guard holds a career average of 13.8 points per game on 43/37/82 shooting splits.

With Liaoning, Mayo may suit up alongside former NBA players Lance Stephenson and Brandon Bass. The club announced that Mayo will undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine, after which they expect him to back up Stephenson.

Neither Stephenson nor Bass have returned to China following the COVID-19 outbreak. It’s unclear when either player will return, as the CBA has delayed their return to play until May.

Alabama’s Herbert Jones declares for 2020 NBA Draft

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

University of Alabama junior forward Herbert Jones announced via Instagram that he’s declaring for the 2020 NBA Draft:

View this post on Instagram

All Glory to God 🙏🏽

A post shared by Herb Jones 🛸 (@yung.ch0) on

Jones says he’s declaring while maintaining his eligibility.

In his third campaign with the Crimson Tide, Jones turned his best collegiate season. The six-foot-seven forward scored 7.9 points on 48.4% shooting. He also grabbed 6.4 rebounds per game. Jones was also one of Alabama’s best defensive players.

Alabama has also seen starting guard Kira Lewis and John Petty Jr. declare for the draft.

Lewis is expected to be a first-round pick, while Petty and Jones are considered to be late second-round talents.

Arizona’s Zeke Nnaji, DePaul’s Paul Reed declare for NBA draft

Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nobody knows when the NBA Draft is going to take place — like everything with the NBA calendar, it is up in the air — but for college players whose season has ended now is the time to declare and throw their hats in the ring.

Two possible draftees did that Saturday.

Arizona center Zeke Nnaji was one.

The 6’11” Nnaji averaged 16.1 points per game on 57 percent shooting, plus grabbed 8.6 rebounds a game his freshman season at Arizona. In a good sign, he shot 76% from the free throw line, meaning he should be able to space the floor and hit midrangers (and maybe someday threes). He brings a lot of energy to the court, but is considered raw still on both ends of the floor and not an elite defender.

Nnaji is a bubble first-round pick.

The other player coming out is DePaul forward Paul Reed.

A projected first-rounder is a generous description by Charania, Reed is seen more as a second-round pick (and without a Draft Combine or workouts with teams it will be difficult to move up). He’s a 6’9″ power forward who averaged 15.1 points and 10.7 rebounds a game this season. Reed shot the three well as a sophomore (40 percent) but regressed this past season. He’s athletic but needs to get stronger, and he needs to be able to fit into a role at the NBA level to last.

That said, he will likely get a chance somewhere to prove he belongs.

Knicks owner James Dolan tests positive for coronavirus

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The good news is he remains healthy and shows few symptoms.

Knicks owner James Dolan has tested positive for the coronavirus, the team has announced.

Dolan, 64, lives in New York, which has become the epicenter of COVID-19 cases in the United States. New York State alone has more than 52,000 cases and more than 700 deaths tied to the coronavirus.

Earlier in the day on Saturday, the Dolan Family Foundation announced it would donate $1 million to Madison Square Garden’s event staff who have not been able to work because the coronavirus has shut down events at MSG.

There have been 10 current NBA players and four members of team support staff that have tested positive for the coronavirus. Dolan is the first owner to test positive.

Our thoughts are with him and his family and hopefully he can stay healthy through this.