Report: Details of Kings sale to Seattle laid out for relocation committee

12 Comments

While many people in Sacramento continue to work to put together a package that can help keep the Kings in in the California capital, the machinery of a sale of the team to a Seattle group planning to move the franchise north continue to move forward.

It’s reached the point that members of the NBA Board of Governor’s relocation committee were briefed on the “non-binding deal points” of a potential sale of the Kings to the Chris Hansen/Steve Ballmer group of Seattle, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.

The call took place on (January 8) – one day before Yahoo! Sports reported the finalizing of a deal – and informed several league owners that the Hansen-Ballmer Seattle group would purchase 65 percent of the Kings, sources said. The league office told members of the relocation committee that the non-binding agreement would constitute 53 percent of the franchise owned by the Maloof family and an additional 12 percent from minority owner Bob Hernreich….

It is unclear if the selling of 53 percent of the Maloof’s share would leave them with any future stake in the franchise, but sources have told Yahoo! Sports that there’s no circumstance where which the Maloofs would keep any real input or governance over day-to-day team operations.

The timeline here is really March 1 — that is when a new ownership group would have to apply for relocation (that could be pushed back a couple weeks, not much more). What everyone wants to avoid is another lame-duck year with the team in Sacramento owned by the Maloofs.

That this went so far as to be laid out for the relocation committee shows it is being taken seriously. The relocation committee — ironically headed by Oklahoma City owner Clay Bennett, the guy that moved the former Sonics out of town — would delve into the details of a request to move the team and make a recommendation to the full Board of Governors (all the owners).

That said, the deal is not done. And complex deals like this one — the Kings owe $77 million to the city of Sacramento if the franchise moves plus at least $125 million to the league’s credit program — can easily fall apart over the details.

What is new here is the $525 million is how much the franchise is being valued at, but if the new owners only get a controlling interest of the team at 65 percent they would only have to pay less than $350 million. Which for a group led by Hansen (a hedge fund guy), Ballmer (the current head of Microsoft and worth $14.7 billion) and with supporting players like the Nordstrom family is no problem.

In Sacramento, mayor Kevin Johnson is working hard to put together a group and plan looking for the right to match any reasonable Seattle offer to keep the team — they are talking to people who could buy the team as well as plan for a new arena in town (which would be done now were it not for the Maloofs in the first place). Johnson wants to make his pitch to NBA ownership when they meet All-Star weekend in Houston.

While both sides push ahead, the Maloofs remain the wild card. Nobody knows what their next move might be. It would be easier to guess what Jodie Foster might say at before the Golden Globes than to guess what the Maloof family will do next.

Laker fan drains halfcourt shot… but security shuts down celebration with team

Via Twitter
Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES — It was a great night for Ali Sabbouri.

The 26-year-old was selected to take the half-court shot at the end of the third quarter of the Laker game Monday night, and the Anaheim resident walked up and drained it. He was instantly $30,000 richer.

Then he ran around and celebrated as the crowd goes nuts, he gets a high-5 from the Laker girls — but watch security waive him off when he wants to get high-5s from the Lakers’ players.

That is hysterical. I’d feel sorry for Ali not getting a dap from LeBron James… but $30,000 will more than make up for that.

Lakers coach Luke Walton rips officiating: ‘I wasn’t going to say anything. I was going to save my money, but I just can’t anymore’

Harry How/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Lakers are 0-3 with LeBron James, and pressure is mounting.

One way to release it: Venting about officiating.

Lakers coach Walton via Kurt Helin:

“Let me start here. … I wasn’t going to say anything, because I was going to save my money. But I just can’t anymore.”

“It’s 70-something points in the paint to 50-something (74 to 50), again they outshoot us from the free throw line, 38 free throws (the Lakers had 26),” Walton ranted after the game. “Watch the play — watch the play where I got a technical, watch what happens to LeBron James’ arm. It’s the same thing that James Harden and Chris Paul shot 30 free throws on us the night before. Then LeBron pulls up on a screen and somebody’s trying to fight over it, same thing they shot free throws on. Same thing.

“We are scoring 70 points a night in the paint. We’re putting pressure on. Josh Hart, watch how plays the game, played 40 minutes tonight, all he does is attack the rim — zero free throws tonight. Zero. I know they’re young, but if we’re going to play a certain way then let’s not reward people for flopping 30 feet from the hole on plays that have nothing to do with that possession. They’re just flopping to see if they can get a foul call. And then not reward players who are physically going to the basket and getting hit. That’s not right.”

I’m not certain Walton will get fined. These comments are borderline. But he asked for it, and the league might abide.

The numbers Walton cites are not convincing. Sometimes, one team deserves more free throws than the other. Maybe the Lakers outscored the Spurs by so much in the paint because the Spurs kept ceding baskets inside rather than fouling and the Lakers kept sending San Antonio to the line for free throws, which don’t count as points in the paint. Also keep in mind: Los Angeles outscored the Spurs 41-7 in transition. Many of the Lakers’ paint points came against a defense not positioned to contest shots, with or without contact.

But Walton is fighting bigger battles – taking heat off his team for losing, showing his players he has their back, making referees think twice on foul calls. If Walton achieves those objectives, a fine will be well worth it.

LeBron James appears to call for timeout with Lakers out of them (video)

2 Comments

David Blatt infamously tried to call a timeout while the Cavaliers were out of them. Though he was stopped before receiving a technical foul, that was seen as evidence Blatt didn’t have the basketball intelligence to coach LeBron James.

Somewhere, Blatt is quietly smiling. (Or let’s be real, loudly telling everyone how smart he is.)

LeBron had his biggest moment as a Laker, making a game-tying 3-pointer to force overtime in Los Angeles’ eventual loss to the Spurs last night. But LeBron probably shouldn’t have had the opportunity to take the shot.

Once the Lakers secured possession, LeBron appeared to call for a timeout despite the Lakers having none remaining. If referees granted the timeout, it also would have come with a technical foul that gave the Spurs a chance to put the game out of reach in regulation.

Instead, Josh Hart incidentally made a big play by passing to LeBron. LeBron had to drop his T-signaling hands to catch the pass. Then, he brought the ball up court and drilled a 3-pointer.

LeBron said he wasn’t trying to call timeout, but his smiling denial isn’t exactly convincing. Laker coach Luke Walton was more honest.

“When I saw LeBron calling for the timeout I was yelling and I think [Kyle Kuzma] was too, I’ve got to watch the tape,” Walton said after the game. “But once he realized that we didn’t have any there wasn’t an action we ran, LeBron just dribbled up and made a three, which is what makes him special.”

This isn’t the first time LeBron lost track of timeouts at the end of a game, anyway.

Ostensibly on bench, Markieff Morris steps onto court and tugs Seth Curry’s shorts during play (video)

Patrick Smith/Getty Images
1 Comment

Markieff Morris (28 points and nine rebounds) came up big in the Wizards’ overtime win over the Trail Blazers last night.

He didn’t even need to be in the game to help Washington stop Portland on the final possession of regulation.

CJ Fogler:

There should be no place for that. None. Games should be decided by the 10 players on the court. Anyone not in the game should do nothing to encroach on the space of players in the game. Stepping over the sideline is an egregious violation. Touching a player or his uniform is beyond outrageous.

The NBA has occasionally fined coaches (including former Wizards assistant Sidney Lowe) and players, but the league hasn’t gone far enough. This type of conduct, though usually not this flagrant, occurs far too often. It’s past time to crack down. Fines, suspensions, whatever it takes to ensure this stops.

After years of neglecting to deter these antics, the NBA shouldn’t put all the weight of the problem on Morris. Fine him what has been the standard amount, but make clear to everyone this was the last straw before more severe penalties.

Morris’ shorts tug might have decided the game. We’ll never know whether that would have been the difference between the Trail Blazers scoring on the possession or not. Probably not. Damian Lillard missed on a drive, but maybe he would kicked to Seth Curry if Curry weren’t flailing his arms, exasperated by Morris contact. Or maybe Otto Porter would have stuck just a little closer to Curry without “help” defense from Morris, leaving more room for Lillard.

But it’s only a matter of time until the NBA has a more controversial ending involving someone on the bench getting involved in the play.