Winderman: NBA should bring order to free agency chaos

3 Comments

If the NBA was smart, it would swoop collectively upon Dallas, claim the already-booked hotel space and tell Major League Baseball that, at this moment, they need winter meetings far more than any other sport.

In 2010, when the NBA actually had time to conduct an orderly free-agent process, most of the league found itself camped in Chicago. That’s where the Heat, Nets, Knicks, Bulls and other teams wined and dined Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and other prime free agents, while also having planes at the ready for the quick flight to Cleveland for the LeBron-a-thon.

This time around, order has given way to bedlam. And while the Free Agent Class of 2011 pales in comparison to what 2010 had to offer, it is likely that there will be more than a few sight-unseen dollars spent Friday when free agency and camps open.

If they open.

As of the weekend, a pair of agents said they weren’t sold that the Friday would be the definitive starting point of the process, with a final collective-bargaining agreement still being completed and votes by the owners and players not scheduled until Thursday.

One of the agents said he has been told that if he wants to get his players in front of general managers and to work at the various sessions being conducted at NBA arenas, that the athletes or agents would have to pay such travel expenses out of pocket.

Considering how much has been done on the fly since an agreement in principle was reached Nov. 26, each day along the path to a lockout resolution seemingly has brought its own rules.

“Last week they said nothing is starting until Dec. 9 and all of a sudden they said, ‘Oh, at 9 a.m. tomorrow we’re open for business,’ ” the agent said of last Tuesday’s NBA change of heart when it came to free-agent negotiations. “I think the same thing is going to happen. I think they’re going to say you can fly guys there on the seventh and things are going to change. I think they’re going to give us direction.”

Some of that direction came with word that contact between coaches, executives and players could resume Monday. But, even then, workouts alongside coaches or in front of team executives remain off-limits until Friday.

In other words, players coming off injury, such as Dallas Mavericks free-agent forward Caron Butler or Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden, would have to be signed off medical records. For now, there can be no eye test before Friday.

With signings on hold until Friday, some teams are planning to drain D-League rosters for what effectively could be considered training-camp “seat fillers,” players who will work for $1,500 a week during camp for the opportunity for some face time in front of NBA coaches.

What the NBA truly needs is its own version of the winter meetings, a high-priced whirlwind job fair to create a greater sense of order at week’s end.

That, of course, is not happening. Bud Selig isn’t giving up that Dallas hotel space.

“It’s going to be chaotic,” an agent said.

Ira Winderman writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers the Heat and the NBA for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. You can follow him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat.

Report: Dewayne Dedmon opts in for $6.3 million with Hawks

AP Photo/Todd Kirkland
Leave a comment

The Hawks’ rebuild got going with big John Collins. Though they’re reportedly eying Luka Doncic with the No. 3 pick, they could easily draft another big – Jaren Jackson Jr., Mohamed Bamba, Marvin Bagley or Wendell Carter.

And then there’s veteran center Dewayne Dedmon.

He no longer fits in Atlanta (never did, really). But he’s not bypassing a chance to earn $6.3 million.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

There just wasn’t going to be that much money for the 28-year-old Dedmon in a tight market this summer.

Dedmon is a good defender, and he developed his ball skills – as a 3-point shooter and passer – in Atlanta last season. The Hawks could look to trade him. Maybe, in a deal primarily about his expiring contract, he adds extra value to the other team due to his playing ability.

If Atlanta doesn’t move him, Dedmon will be a fine player on a likely tanking team. At least he’s not good enough to subvert the Hawks’ tank, especially with the new lottery format.

Nick Young says ‘everybody needs to do cocaine,’ later insists he was joking

AP Photo/Mary Altaffer
1 Comment

Nick Young will say and do nearly anything for attention.

Empowered by the Warriors’ championship, he swung for the fences when asked about Canada passing marijuana legalization.

Young, via TMZ:

“I want people to pass cocaine,” the NBA star told TMZ Sports outside 1 OAK on Tuesday night … “Everybody needs to do cocaine!”

Predictably, that caused a bit of an uproar. Then, Young backtracked:

Chill. You know I was just joking

A post shared by Nick Young (@swaggyp1) on

Too late, Nick. People are already asking questions you don’t want asked.

Report: 76ers trade No. 39 pick to Lakers

AP Photo/Chris Szagola
2 Comments

The 76ers have too many 2018 draft picks – Nos. 10, 26, 38, 39, 56 and 60.

Philadelphia already has 11 players under contract for next season. Plus, the 76ers have the space to add premier players. There just isn’t room for everyone on the roster.

So, Philadelphia unloaded one of those selections.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

This is good return for the 76ers, who everyone knew had to trade a draft pick. The rebuilding Bulls could easily land a higher second-round pick than No. 39 next year.

Why do the Lakers want an extra second-rounder this year? Second-round picks don’t count against the cap until signed, and they can always slightly sweeten a trade offer. They’re helpful for a team with big plans and little wiggle room.

Kyle O’Quinn opts out of Knicks contract

AP Photo/Tony Dejak
1 Comment

The Knicks have the No. 8 pick, and tomorrow’s draft will be the most important part of their offseason.

Will they also have cap space to add talent in free agency? That hinges on Enes Kanter‘s player option.

If Kanter opts out, New York will have even more room to operate thanks to Kyle O'Quinn declining his $4,256,250 player option.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

The Knicks expected this for a while, and they’re probably not disappointed. Steve Mills and Scott Perry want to put their stamp on the franchise. O’Quinn is a leftover from the Phil Jackson era and a reminder of the recent tumult in New York.

O’Quinn’s combination of block percentage (6.1) and defensive-rebounding percentage (27.8) was unmatched last season. He just really struck a nice balance between contesting shots and remaining in position on the glass. He’s also a smooth mid-range shooter with an improved ability to distribute.

How much is that player worth?

It’ll be a tight market, especially for bigs. For his sake, I hope the 28-year-old O’Quinn already has assurances from other teams. He might get a similar salary or, more likely, a larger overall guarantee on a multi-year deal. But it’s also possible he comes out behind by testing free agency.