Miami Heat hold players-only meeting after (latest) disappointing loss

8 Comments

The Heat will have to forgive us, the Heat-seeking public, if we’re not overly impressed by this latest overture. It’s not that it wasn’t, that it isn’t, needed, it was and is. It’s a good sign. But it’s just one lost among so many other bad, bad signs.

After Saturday night’s 95-106 loss to the Mavericks, one in which they had pulled to within 6 with five minutes to go, only to see the Mavericks calmly and deliberately blast them back into a double-digit deficit, Yahoo! Sports reports the Heat held a players-only  meeting. The tried and true measure of how bad things can get when the players decide to boot the coaches to talk amongst themselves in an effort to obtain some measure of accountability and refocus.

Again, pardon us if we’re not overly impressed.

This is a gesture, and gestures simultaneously mean something and nothing at all. Were the Heat to now get themselves “right” (whatever that is since we haven’t seen it yet in their existence during this incarnation’s 17 games), then the gesture was the start of their coming together, of pulling together and reaching at least some measure of their lofty goals they set for themselves. However, if the Heat go out versus the Wizards on Monday and Detroit on Tuesday, in preparation of “Bring Your Own Molotov Cocktail” night at the Q, then it’s simply another in a long line of indications that this team is all hype and no hope, the trend which it has exemplified through the first near-fifth of the season.

One problem with this team can easily be identified in their quotes:

From Bosh:

“We were just looking at each other and being honest, that’s what it’s all about,” Bosh told Yahoo! Sports about the meeting. “I think when you’re in situations like these and around guys all the time, you need to be honest with each other. Just talk and put our foot down about the season and put it in minds that we’re better than this, and we’re going to do better than this.”

To Wade:

“This is a new team, a new group of guys,” Wade said. “Guys need to understand and know each other and get to hear each other talk. And I think we all feel better after the talk we have.”

To James:

“This is a team that is new to each other,” James said. “It’s going to take time. But the thing we can do right now is just go out and just play, play harder, don’t have any lapses. I think the fact that we know we are so talented individually, we feel we can have lapses at times.”

Notice how in every instance it’s about “we” and not “I?”

Now, this is a tricky thing. If the three were all talking about themselves and what they need to do better, the media would no doubt be slamming the door on their hands about being selfish and thinking me-first. The Heat have every justification for saying they can’t win in this situation, and that they’re just trying to make it clear they think of themselves as a team, and not individuals.

The problem?

Responsibility can be shared but leadership needs to be expressed by the individual taking hold of his own shortcomings and setting an example to the rest that “this has to start with me.” There’s not enough among the three of talking about how they need to improve their own performance. There’s not enough about how they need to start leading, taking charge, and being the stars that they are.

In a crucial possession last night, Dwyane Wade did what he’s done a million times this season, seemingly. He drove past his defender. He reached the paint. He found the defender closing in to make contact and… jump passed to James Jones who badly bricked a three.

That’s not going to cut it. The Big 3 should make it easier on one-another to produce points with the attention they draw, not James Jones or Eddie House or Joel Anthony or Zydrunas Ilgauskas or whatever retread player they’ve filled the gaps in with. It starts and ends with the Big 3. And so far they’ve been a lot of talk, in front of and behind closed doors, and very little action.

We’ll see if they can capitalize on whatever it is they sorted out last night in the locker room or if this situation only continues to disintegrate, in this, the Big Letdown so far.

Spurs disbanding all-female dance team in favor of co-ed hype team

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Is this the wave of the future?

Since then newly-minted owner Jerry Buss started the Laker Girls’ in 1979, all-female dance teams have become standard around the NBA. However, with how things are now viewed through the prism of the #metoo movement, and reports on how NFL cheerleaders were treated in places such as Washington and Miami, a lot of professional sports teams are re-thinking the concept of female dance teams.

The Spurs are apparently doing away with theirs, to be replaced by a 35-person co-ed “hype team.”

The Spurs have not said officially that this is the end of the Silver Dancers. “Lack of interest” is an odd reason to give — is there suddenly less interest now than there was five years ago? A number of teams have both female dance teams and co-ed “spirit” or “hype” teams.

Far more likely, this is about perception in what is a conservative state and marketplace.

The question is will this become a trend, both around the NBA and professional sports. As the teams try to evolve and make more dynamic their in-arena experiences, are the dance teams going to fade from view?

Just something to keep and eye on going forward.

Just a reminder: Spurs hope to repair relationship with Kawhi Leonard, offer-him $219 million

Associated Press
Leave a comment

It’s everyone’s favorite parlor game around the NBA: Where will Kawhi Leonard play next season? Philadelphia? Los Angeles? Somewhere else? Fans of 29 teams are posting their trade scenarios online, while GMs of 29 teams privately have tried to come up with offers that could tempt San Antonio.

The most likely answer: San Antonio.

While the relationship between Leonard and the Spurs is frayed — and with the people close to Leonard and in his ear seemingly trying to push him out the door — the Spurs would rather keep one of the five best players in the NBA (when healthy) in-house. From Tom Osbourne of the San Antonio Express-News.

Still, the Spurs hope to meet with Leonard and his representatives soon in a bid to mend fences and pave the way for Leonard to come to terms on a five-year $219 million supermax contract that he will be eligible to receive starting July 1. If attempts to patch up the relationship fail, the Spurs will be forced to explore trading a player coach Gregg Popovich once labeled “the future face of the franchise.”

The timing of that meeting has been slowed in part because of the death of Popovich’s wife and everyone involved understandably giving him all the space wants. It will happen.

Can the relationship be salvaged? Maybe, $219 million can mend a lot of fences. There are things the Spurs can and would be willing to do to promote Leonard more (although that all starts with him getting out of his comfort zone and building his brand, starting with speaking more in public). Also, Gregg Popovich was able to sooth LaMarcus Aldridge‘s ego when the big man demanded a trade, and not only did the player stay he had an All-NBA level season. Popovich and Leonard still have a strong relationship.

Is that enough? Time will tell, but people around the league think at best it’s a coin flip. Things are not good right now. However, the Spurs will get the first crack at fixing this before they are forced to consider a trade.

Julius Randle’s camp not convinced he’s a Laker priority

Getty Images
4 Comments

Last November, Julius Randle walked into Staples Center wearing a sweatshirt that said: “pay me.”

Yet he and the Lakers could not come to terms on a rookie contract extension — the Lakers could have had him starting at $12.4 million a year, but wanted to keep their cap space and options open. Now, it’s going to cost a lot more to keep the restricted free agent who averaged 16.1 points per game on 55.8 percent shooting with eight rebounds a game. There are rumors that the previous contract negotiations left a bad taste in Randle’s mouth and he wants out.

Lakers’ fans want Randle back. The Lakers still have rights to match any offer and the front office has said Randle is a priority. Randle’s camp is not so sure about that last part, they haven’t seen the evidence, reports Tania Ganguli at The Los Angeles Times.

Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka told The Times on Friday that the Lakers’ front office is constantly in touch with Julius Randle’s representatives, and there has been “a mutual exchange of interest and hoping that we can work something out for both sides.”

Randle’s camp is unsure of how mutual the interest has been.

“We still have no indication of where Julius stands among the Lakers’ priorities, or if he is a priority at all,” Randle’s agent Aaron Mintz said Saturday in response to Pelinka’s comments. “We are looking forward to the marketplace in July, when we will get a clear picture of Julius’ future.”

That is negotiation posturing by Mintz, no doubt. He might as well have said, “show me the money.”

Don’t expect other teams to wait around on Randle offers while the Lakers figure out their free agent possibilities — Paul George, LeBron James (probably not him) — come July 1. Other teams are interested (Dallas among them) and are going to try to move quickly to force the Lakers’ hand.

Once those other offers are on the table, we’ll see where the Lakers’ priorities really are.

Rumor: Dallas to target big men — Cousins, Jordan, Randle — in free agency

Getty Images
3 Comments

The Dallas Mavericks have been hunting for a center ever since they thought they had DeAndre Jordan, right before the Clippers locked him in a house and forced him to change his mind (that’s not really how it went down, but it makes a better story than the truth). It’s why Dallas has been linked to Mohamed Bamba in the draft — a big, defensive-minded, rim runner who could develop into a great pick-and-roll partner with Dennis Smith Jr.

However, the Mavericks may not want to wait for Bamba — or any other young big — to develop.

Expect the Mavericks to go after one of the name big men on the market in free agency this summer, reports Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer from the NBA Combine in Chicago.

Ever since word spread in league circles in March that Dirk Nowitzki would return to the Mavericks for his 21st season, there have also been rumblings that the Dallas front office will look to make additions this summer that can put the team back on a winning track. The Mavericks can create space to sign a max free agent, and multiple league sources expect them to pursue a trio of big men: DeAndre Jordan, DeMarcus Cousins, and restricted free agent Julius Randle.

Jordan has not yet officially opted out of the $24.1 million he is owed next season by the Los Angeles Clippers (although most observers expect him to). It is possible Dallas and other teams are not going to offer that much per season for Jordan, but if he can get three years starting at closer to $20 million per that’s a lot more guaranteed money. Also, does he want out of Los Angeles now that Blake Griffin and Chris Paul are gone and will he take a little less per year to get to a new team?

We know Dallas likes him and Jordan has a relationship with Mark Cuban and Rick Carlisle from the last go around.

How much money and how many years would Dallas be willing to risk on Cousins coming off a torn Achilles? More than the Pelicans (who don’t have the money to replace Cousins with anywhere near that level player if he bolts)?

Randle showed a lot of promise as a bully inside who can run some pick-and-roll with Smith, but do the Mavericks want to try to outbid the Lakers (which leads to the question of what other free agents Los Angeles might get and how much they are willing to pay to keep Randle)?

We know this, Mark Cuban does not sit quietly on the sidelines of free agency. Expect the Mavericks to be aggressive players this summer.