Not a lot of people have been in Carmelo Anthony’s shoes — a legitimate NBA superstar pushing his way to a new team at the peak of his career.
One guy who did — LeBron James. Anthony told the media Wednesday he and LeBron have spoken recently, but added the situations are very different (via the twitter of Chris Tomasson of FanHouse).
I wouldn’t compare my situation to (James’). It’s kind of different for me because I’m actually playing through it whereas for him he dealt with it in the offseason. (LeBron) just tells me to stay strong and keep doing what I’m doing and keep going out there and playing the way I’m playing.
Both players have been accused of having a massive ego driving their decisions. But I would argue that what Anthony has done with the Nuggets is infinitely fairer to the franchise — he has essentially given them notice he is gone. Like you would to your boss (if you liked your job). He is giving them a chance to get some value for him and jumpstart the rebuilding process. You may not like the process or how it’s been done, but in two years the Nuggets will be in a better place than the Cavaliers because Anthony essentially gave them notice.
Anthony and James can talk about it face-to-face Thursday, when the Heat take on the Nuggets in Denver.
The Miami Heat said no. The Milwaukee Bucks signed someone else. There has been no deal with the Houston Rockets.
Erick Dampier is a man without a team. Which is a little odd — as a minimum-salary backup center he should be a good fit, but teams are not jumping on board. For whatever reason.
Thursday Dampier stopped in on the Toronto Raptors and met with them during training camp, although no deal was reached, according to The Fan 590 Radio in Toronto.
It’s not an easy fit, the Raptors already have 15 guys under contract. They’d have to buy somebody out to get Dampier. That may or may not happen.
Dampier may have visits with another team. But right now he remains a man without a team.
It’s a testament to the desperate state of NBA centers that Kyrylo Fesenko is relevant news with training camp starting this weekend in some places, but them’s the breaks.
Marc Stein of ESPN reports via Twitter that Fesenko has decided to pass on an offer from the Houston Rockets and accept a one-year, $1 million offer from the Jazz to re-sign.
It brings to a close the kind of frustrating summer some promising free agents go through, where they’ve shown they can contribute, but not enough to get bidders lunging for their checkbooks. Fesenko received interest from several teams but if Stein’s report is on target, nothing materialized to match Utah’s offer. In Utah he’ll find himself in a similar situation as he would have in Houston, buried relatively deep in the depth chart, but not so far down he can’t see minutes.
Fesenko showed some life in the playoffs and gives every indication that he can contribute at this level. The big questions have been about his maturity, but they haven’t been the kind to stick with a player for years, just the little things he needs to grow out of. Now Jerry Sloan may have a chance to see if he can grow the kiddo up a bit more, while getting some frontcourt depth out of him.
The Rockets decision to not up the ante for Fesenko could be in part due to several factors, including their interest in Erick Dampier, or their rumored discussions in the Melo trade talks. Or, you know, they could just be insanely deep and not willing to go ga-ga over a kid that’s shown only potential when they’re trying to win now.