Author: Matt Moore

Andrew Bogut

Andrew Bogut is on schedule, but there’s still no timetable for his return


As the Warriors shut down Stephen Curry for the preseason, they have another concern on their hands. Andrew Bogut has not played. He has not scrimmaged. He has not participated in a basketball game since surgery. And while he’s spoken of making it back for the regular season opener, the Warriors have not given a timeline. They released an update Saturday night (courtesy of and the news is… no news, good or bad.

Warriors center Andrew Bogut met with Dr. Richard Ferkel at the team’s practice in Los Angeles earlier today (October 20) for a scheduled follow-up consultation on Bogut’s surgically repaired left ankle.

Following the examination, Dr. Ferkel concluded that Andrew is continuing to make progress on the rehabilitation schedule that was outlined immediately following his surgery (performed by Ferkel on April 27, 2012) and that there have been no setbacks. While the results of today’s examination were positive and Bogut remains on his rehab schedule, the exact date of his return to full basketball activity has not been determined.

Bogut and the team are not setting any deadlines or time tables and the plan remains as it has been from the outset: Bogut will return to action when his ankle is 100%.

via Sam Amick’s post on Basketball | Latest updates on Sulia.

Bogut is the unquestioned key to this season for the Warriors. Their wing defenders are playing tight to ball pressure, but the result is still that if that fails, Bogut has to defend at the rim. They have outside shooters galore, but if they want something to run the system around, a sun for their solar system, it has to be Bogut.

And he’s still not back on the court.

Things are not scary for the Warriors, not yet. But if this were a horror film, and in this case a sequel we’ve seen too many times, the ominous music just started playing with the shot of the sun going down.


Ray Allen wants to do more than shoot threes for Miami

Ray Allen

Ray Allen is known for threes. This is not going to shock you. I mean, that’s what he does. He shoots, and makes, a ton of threes. Lots of threes. “ALL OF THE THREES” as the kids might say. But if you’ve watched the Celtics closely, you’ve seen that when teams over-commit to stopping Allen on the inside, he burns them on the cut driving inside. He’s still got remnants of the all-around player he was back in 2005.

And he wants to use more of that with the Heat. From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:

“In practice, I always posted up,” Allen said. “I just could never convince my coach to allow me go down in the post. He was always telling me he wanted different matchups. I’ve had so many matchups in the post throughout the years. It gives me a different scoring angle. It takes pressure off having always to shoot 3s.”

“What teams try to do is when they want a guy to chase me they bring a small guy that’s quick,” Allen said. “So you roll to your next stunt and you post them and get them out of the game. The way we play here just creates so many different opportunities. You put the other team in so many complicated situations that it forces their defenses to play more uncomfortable.”

via Miami Heat: Although labeled a 3-point shooter, guard Ray Allen feels he can bring more to offense. – Sun Sentinel.

Of the millions of ways the Heat are difficult to defend, this just adds another wrinkle. Neither Shane Battier nor Mike Miller, two of their better wing contributors had the ability last year to post or drive inside consistently. Allen can do that, if healthy and in limited spurts. It means the Heat can survive without having Wade or James on the floor for a few minutes. It means they can use those guys to provide Allen one-on-one opportunities.

But then again, Allen’s ankle is still bothering him and his skills are drastically eroded. He has to pick his spots. That outside shot is still the bread and butter. But anything else he can give them? Absolute gravy on a team already covered in it like Thanksgiving.

Still no timetable for Nene’s return

Nene Hilario
Leave a comment

Nene was traded from Denver for a number of reasons. Among them, his injuries which held him out constantly, and a perceived lack of effort. In Washington, he’s a huge part of what the Wizards want to do. They’re banking on him, especially with John Wall out two months.

Problem is, there’s no telling when he’s going to be back. Nene is dealing with plantar fasciitis, a very painful condition that can hamper a player for over a year. He’s been held out the entire preseason and in the beginning, it was “Oh, but he’ll be back for the season opener.” Now, of course, that’s not as much of a certainty but still a possibility. From the Washington Post:

“I was a little behind, than I thought,” Nene said, when explaining the reason for the treatment. “It’s still inflamed. I just want to take care of it the right way. But all the exercises, I’ve been doing fine. I’ve been listening. I’ve been obedient.”

But that doesn’t mean he will be available when the Wizards open the regular season  Oct. 30 in Cleveland. When asked if that remained a possibility, Nene refused to make a commitment either way.

“I’m not going to say,” Nene said. “That’s the reason I don’t say. I don’t know. I want to, but sometimes it does not go the way you want. I just want to make sure I’m healthy to help my team because if I sit down again, that’s not good.”

via Nene remains uncertain about return.

The Wizards are paying Nene $13 million and have to have him contribute. He’s a huge part of this offense. But the problem with plantar fasciitis, we’ve been told, is that the only way to heal it is to stay off of it. For a long time. That’s exceptionally hard to do when, you know, you’re a basketball player. Maybe he’ll get it straight and start on opening night and all will be right with the world.

But on October 20th, it’s a worrisome situation for a franchise with enough to worry about.