Kurt Helin

DALLAS, TX - MARCH 03:  Dirk Nowitzki #41 of the Dallas Mavericks during the first half at American Airlines Center on March 3, 2016 in Dallas, Texas.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Report: Mavericks up final deal with Dirk Nowitzki to two-years, $50 million

23 Comments

After a few years of Dirk Nowitzki giving Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks major financial concessions to help pay for a better team, the Mavericks are paying him back.

Dallas is signing Nowitzki to a larger-than-expected two-year, $50 million contract, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

The Dallas Mavericks and face of the franchise Dirk Nowitzki have finalized their expected new deal with another bump in pay that sets the star forward up to earn $50 million over the next two seasons and play until age 40, league sources told ESPN.

Sources said Friday that the Mavericks have tacked an additional $10 million onto the original two-year, $40 million contract that the sides, as ESPN first reported, agreed to earlier this month.

While it’s $25 million a season, only $5 million of the second year is guaranteed.

Good on Dallas for rewarding the greatest Maverick ever.

Draymond Green reaches plea deal: $560 fine, no charges

OAKLAND, CA - JUNE 19:  Draymond Green #23 of the Golden State Warriors speaks to members of the media after being defeated by the Cleveland Cavaliers in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals at ORACLE Arena on June 19, 2016 in Oakland, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Getty Images
4 Comments

The more details that came out about Draymond Green‘s “altercation” or whatever one wanted to call it, the incident sounded more and more like something police and prosecutors probably shouldn’t spend a lot of time on. There are more serious crimes in Lansing than one guy slapping another in a bar.

The case is now going away with a plea deal, according to Christopher Haxel of the Lansing State Journal.

NBA star Draymond Green has reached a plea agreement that will allow him to avoid jail time and reduce the charges he faced for allegedly slapping a Michigan State University football player to a noise violation, officials announced Friday.

The former MSU All-American will pay a $500 fine and $60 restitution fee. He had faced a charge of misdemeanor assault or misdemeanor assault and battery. A noise violation is a civil infraction.

Because it’s a civil infraction, there is no “guilty” or “not guilty” plea entered. It just goes away. Also, Green cannot contact Jermaine Edmondson — the victim in the case — for a year. Which is probably just fine with Green.

Green’s attorney said they would have gone to trial over the incident, but it would have taken time out of his NBA schedule. Which is good, do we need to clog a courtroom with this?

Edmondson allegedly taunted Green at the club, which led to their parties getting in some kind of relatively mild altercation. While the incident itself between Green and a former Michigan State football player Edmondson (Green attended Michigan State) was not a big deal, it did cause waves. Green apologized to his USA Basketball Olympic teammates for the distraction.

“We were talking about the things that are important to us as a team, that are really strong principles, and being able to maintain your composure is one of them,” USA coach Mike Krzyzewski said of the apology. “He knows that’s not what happened and what should have happened. He had a chance to share with the players.”

Green said he learned not to put himself in these situations. Makes sense. Or, just ignore the fools taunting you in a bar.

Cavaliers officially sign free agent Chris “Birdman” Andersen to one-year contract

DENVER, CO - FEBRUARY 29:  Chris Andersen #7 of the Memphis Grizzlies grabs a rebound against the Denver Nuggets at Pepsi Center on February 29, 2016 in Denver, Colorado. The Grizzlies defeated the Nuggets 103-96. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
2 Comments

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cavaliers have officially signed veteran forward Chris “Birdman” Andersen to a one-year contract.

The NBA champions needed a backup center after losing Timofey Mozgov in free agency and are hoping the 38-year-old Andersen can fill that role. A 14-year veteran, Andersen, known for his multiple tattoos and toughness on the boards, split last season with Miami and Memphis.

In Cleveland, he will be reunited with former Heat teammate LeBron James. They won an NBA title together in 2013.

Andersen has averaged 5.5 points and 5.1 rebounds in his career, which began with Denver. He will wear jersey No. 00 with Cleveland.

James remains unsigned for next season, but he has informed the Cavs he will re-sign with them at some point this summer. James is expected to sign another one-year deal. Also, the Cavs are likely to re-sign forward J.R. Smith.

Players’ union, North Carolina native Chris Paul both support move of All-Star Game

Chris Paul
4 Comments

The NBA rightfully yanking the 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte because of the HB2 “bathroom bill” has pissed off some North Carolina right-wing politicians and other blowhards. But people that actually matter continue to rally to support of the move.

That includes the National Basketball Players’ Association (the players’ union), which released this statement.

“The National Basketball Players Association supports the league’s decision to relocate the 2017 NBA All-Star Game from Charlotte. North Carolina is home to a sizable number of current and former NBPA members. They and our entire membership looked forward to participating in the All-Star week activities in the Charlotte community. However, the enactment of legislation that challenges the right of all Americans from discrimination threatened the ability of every attendee to enjoy the All-Star festivities. We join the NBA in the hope that the annual celebration of our game will one day, soon, be held in Charlotte.”

One of the most prominent North Carolina natives who stars in the NBA — Clippers point guard Chris Paul — summed up his frustration well, saying essentially it sucks but had to be done.

The deal is done. The game is on the move, likely to New Orleans. Maybe the 2019 All-Star will go to Charlotte (modifications of HB2 were always more likely after the November election, not before), but the NBA did the right thing following through on its threat.

Now, about the transgender bathroom laws in Louisiana….

Manu Ginobili says talks with Philadelphia were serious, but didn’t want to leave San Antonio

PHOENIX, AZ - JANUARY 21:  Manu Ginobili #20 of the San Antonio Spurs during the NBA game against the Phoenix Suns at Talking Stick Resort Arena on January 21, 2016 in Phoenix, Arizona.  The Spurs defeated the Suns 117-89.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
Getty Images
4 Comments

Manu Ginobili was willing to give his beloved San Antonio Spurs a discount. Now, when that discount was $13 million — the Sixers offered $16 million, the Spurs first offer was $3 million — he balked and started having serious conversations with the Sixers. But the Spurs cut the gap down with a $14 million, one-year offer and Ginobili took it.

Ginobili told Michael Lee of The Vertical at Yahoo Sports that he really was a Spur at heart.

“It was not my main option. I never wanted to leave San Antonio,” Ginobili told The Vertical. “But I had to listen to all the options that are there….

“The fact that Philadelphia had a great coach and a person I appreciate so much as Brett Brown, made it more appealing in the case the Spurs didn’t happen,” Ginobili told The Vertical. “But the Spurs happened and they always had the priority.”

Just a quick translation: $13 million is a lot of money to turn down. I love Brett Brown, but really $13 million. When the Spurs cut that to $2 million, I came home.

Gregg Popovich said the Spurs didn’t want to lose Ginobili and Tim Duncan in the same season.

“Losing Tim made it absolutely imperative that we keep him,” Popovich told The Vertical Thursday of Ginobili. “To lose them both at the same time, it would’ve been like death by a thousand cuts. It would’ve been awful.”

Ginobili will play one more season — right after one more Olympic run with Argentina — then walk away from the game. Having always been a Spur. Because that’s what he really wanted.