The New Orleans Pelicans are struggling yet again. Their 2016-17 campaign has them outside of the current playoff picture in the Western Conference at just 22-34. But star forward Anthony Davis doesn’t have any plans to jump ship just yet.
Speaking to media during a conference call on Tuesday, Davis was to the point with reporters, “I don’t plan on leaving, so make sure you write that down.”
Davis, 23, is having a career year while averaging 27.9 points and 12.1 rebounds per-game. His advanced numbers, including true shooting percentage, rebounding percentage, and block rate, are all up from last year. That’s to say nothing of the fact Davis has played the largest portion of his minutes at center, more than any season of his career.
New Orleans has had issues with the roster around Davis, particularly when it comes to injuries. But Davis said he isn’t jonesing for management to add new players according to his timeline.
“Whatever the front office tries to to do they come to me and ask me my opinion. But right now I’m just trying to help the team win and do my job,” said Davis.
The Pelicans were picked by many to end up near the bottom of the playoff race this season, and they’re still within range. The teams above them — particularly Denver, Portland, Dallas, and Sacramento — don’t inspire much confidence. It’s unlikely, but not insane to think the Pelicans could make a run for the last playoff spot with Tyreke Evans working his way back into the lineup.
Despite all the uncertainty, and the unfulfilled expectations on the court, it appears Davis is at least publicly drawing a line in the sand. He’s got until the 2020-21 season to play with New Orleans on his current contract, with no options or outs. Pelicans fans will be glad to see him stay in the Smoothie King Center until then.