It’s been a turbulent year for Andrew Wiggins — being selected No. 1 overall by the Cavs, then being traded to Minnesota for Kevin Love before having played a single NBA game, then excelling on a Timberwolves team that finished with the NBA’s worst record. Now, Wiggins has one positive for the season: he’s won Rookie of the Year. Not much of a surprise to anyone, but the league made it official on Thursday afternoon.
Wiggins received 110 of the 130 available first-place votes, with Nikola Mirotic also receiving 14 first-place votes and Nerlens Noel and Elfrid Payton each getting three. Marcus Smart, Jusuf Nurkic and Jordan Clarkson also got votes.
Here’s the complete voting breakdown:
1. Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota Timberwolves (110 first-place votes, 17 second-place votes, 3 third-place votes)
2. Nikola Mirotic, Chicago Bulls (14 first-place votes, 81 second-place votes, 22 third-place votes)
3. Nerlens Noel, Philadelphia 76ers (3 first-place votes, 22 second-place votes, 60 third-place votes)
4. Elfrid Payton, Orlando Magic (3 first-place votes, 8 second-place votes, 40 third-place votes)
5. Marcus Smart, Boston Celtics (1 second-place vote, 3 third-place votes)
6. Jusuf Nurkic, Denver Nuggets (1 second-place vote)
7. Jordan Clarkson, Los Angeles Lakers (2 third-place votes)