Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers


It was already all but over — no judge was ever going to undo the $2 billion sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer once the sale was enacted.

But nobody expected Donald Sterling to go quietly, either.

He’s not — he has multiple lawsuits still pending against the NBA — but he is not going to continue his legal quest to regain control of the Clippers. He did not appeal to the California Supreme Court to block the sale, reports Michael Mann at Sports Illustrated.

In a development that makes Donald Sterling reacquiring the Los Angeles Clippers virtually impossible, court records indicate that Sterling failed to petition the California Supreme Court for review by Monday’s deadline. The failure means that Sterling has run out of legal options in California to force former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to return the franchise to him.

Under California law, Sterling had 10 business days from Aug. 13 – the date an intermediate appellate court summarily rejected Sterling’s two petitions for the $2 billion sale of the Clippers be halted or reversed — to petition the California Supreme Court with the same request. It would have been a long shot request, to be sure, but Sterling was entitled to give it a try.

It would have been very Sterling to have tried, but he has apparently thrown in the towel on owning the Clippers again. His legal appeal to the appellate court was for a “stay” to block the sale — not to undo the sale — and that court said there was nothing to stay because the sale had already gone through. The Supreme Court would not have ruled differently.

All Donald’s other legal moves basically are just to get money from the NBA — which is kind of futile because as part of the sale to Ballmer Shelly Sterling (Donald’s wife of 59 years) indemnified the NBA against any damages from Donald Sterling lawsuits. Put simply, any money awarded by a judge has to be paid out of the proceeds of the sale not from the NBA itself — he has to pay himself any legal winnings. And him winning these cases are long shot anyway.

What Donald likely will do is try to make life difficult and embarrassing for the NBA. That is really all he has left. And he has the money and attorneys to do it. It’s the move of a bitter old man, but if the shoe fits…

Fortunately for the Clippers, the days of the Donald Sterling’s ownership are gone. (Shelly Sterling hanging around the fringes of the team was the price for that.)

Looks like Donovan to keep Andre Roberson, Steven Adams as starters

Los Angeles Clippers v Oklahoma City Thunder
Leave a comment

Billy Donovan was given the head coaching job in Oklahoma City to bring their offense into modern times — and it seems to be working, Russell Westbrook said he feels a lot more space in the system.

But if the Thunder are going to contend for a title, they need a top 10 defense as well — and to do that Donovan is going to keep a Scott Brooks move and continue to start  Andre Roberson and Steven Adams. Check out the starting lineup for their first preseason game Wednesday.

There also was this report via Anthony Slater in the Oklahoman yesterday about a scrimmage at practice.

Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Andre Roberson all started for the White team. Nick Collison joined them, but that was only because Steven Adams sat out with back soreness….

Donovan said the teams weren’t split by accident. That’s how they’ve been divided in practice. So at this point, it seems Roberson is this team’s starting shooting guard and Adams is the team’s starting center.

This is the smart move. Last season the lineup of Westbrook, Roberson, Durant, Ibaka and Adams was +13.4 points per 100 possessions over their opponents. Roberson and Adams are there for defense — neither brings much offensive game to the floor, but when you have Westbrook and Durant and only one ball between them, you don’t need more offensive threats. You’re going to get plenty of points.

If they can just stay healthy, Oklahoma City is a team to be feared.

Knicks’ legend Harry Gallatin passes away at age 88

Harry Gallatin
Leave a comment

The Hall of Fame player behind the original iron man streak is with us no more.

Knicks’ legend Harry Gallatin passes away at age 88, the team confirmed Wednesday.

Gallatin led the Knicks of the late 1940s and into the 1950s, when he set a then record playing in 610 consecutive games. Nicknamed “The Horse,” he was a beast on the boards who averaged 15.3 rebounds a game one season and averaged 11.9 boards and 13 points per game over the course of his 10-year career. He’s still fourth all time in total rebounds in Knicks franchise history.

Gallatin was a seven-time All-Star and twice All-NBA selection. After his playing days, he spent many years as the athletic director at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends.