It’s official: Carmelo Anthony announces he will remain face of New York Knicks

55 Comments

“At the end of the day that’s my first priority, to stay. That’s my first priority. My priority is to figure it out, let’s figure it out together… I came to New York, and I said it before, I wanted to retire a Knick. That’s not something I would bull—- with, I said it, I meant it.”
—Carmelo Anthony, speaking to PBT at All-Star Game

A lot happened since Anthony said that back in February: The Knicks stacked up losses like a child does legos and missed the playoffs, the Knicks turned the franchise keys over to Phil Jackson, and then Anthony met with Jackson as well as representatives from the Lakers, Bulls, Rockets and Mavericks to be recruited as a free agent.

But in the end Carmelo Anthony came back to the Knicks, making it official on his Web site Sunday morning. Here is the statement from his Web site.

“A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality. This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.

“During this journey I met with some quality organizations who have amazing talent and leadership. I thank them for their consideration, belief in my talent, and opportunity to imagine the possibilities.

“I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.”

Anthony was always able to get more money in New York and that was going to be part of the attraction. The Bulls certainly offered a better chance to win right now, but Anthony would have had to leave more than $40 million on the table to do it.

What Anthony wanted from the Knicks was a plan, a path to contending. They gave him Phil Jackson. That was enough (and if Jackson can keep James Dolan away from basketball decisions he’s worth the $12 million a year).

More than that, it was New York that Anthony could not leave.

He grew up a Knicks fans and he fought to get traded here. His wife loves New York. He likes raising his children there.

And he likes being the face of the Knicks — it is a passionate and smart fan base that gets the game and appreciates effort and skill. They can be harsh, they want to win and be entertained, but they are a special group. The energy in Madison Square Garden before a Knicks game is unlike anything else in basketball.

For likely the rest of his career, Anthony will be the face of that. Which has always been what he wanted most.

Serge Ibaka gets dunked on by Enes Kanter, hit in face by ball (video)

Leave a comment

Is Enes Kanter mad Serge Ibaka rifted with his family?

(No, not this family. That family.)

LeBron James blows wide-open dunk (video)

1 Comment

J.R. Smith (slightly out of context): “We don’t start paying attention until after All-Star break.”

Report: Raptors’ Delon Wright out a month

Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Raptors guard Delon Wright dislocated his shoulder, but at least he won’t need surgery.

Raptors media relations:

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

The Raptors (11-5), off to a surprisingly strong start, are second in the Eastern Conference. They’ve bought themselves margin for error. All in all, a month-long absence for Wright isn’t so bad.

Wright had been a key part of an excellent all-bench unit that included Fred VanVleet, O.G. Anunoby, C.J. Miles and Jakob Poeltl. Two-way player Lorenzo Brown has assumed Wright’s role, and Norman Powell – returning from his own injury – will provide a boost. Toronto can also stagger Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan more.

The chemistry of the bench mob was something to behold, but the Raptors should withstand this.

Report: Clippers PG Patrick Beverley out rest of season

AP Photo/Michael Owen Baker
3 Comments

Clippers point guard Patrick Beverley underwent knee surgery – never a great sign.

The prognosis is about as bad as could be expected.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

This injury isn’t just a setback for this season. It could derail the Clippers’ long-term plan.

They’ve already lost nine straight, and Danilo Gallinari and Milos Teodosic are injured. If they fall further out of playoff position, they could become sellers before the trade deadline, especially with DeAndre Jordan ($24,119,025 player option for next season) and Lou Williams ($7 million salary on expiring contract).

Health was always the major question with this team, and it won’t soften as Blake Griffin and Danilo Gallinari age through lucrative contracts.

The final year of Beverley’s contract is guaranteed for just $5,027,028 next season, and the 29-year-old will spend most of the summer recovering from this injury. That salary is probably low enough that the Clippers will keep him without hesitation.

Until then, down a couple point guards, the Clippers have no choice but to continue leaning more on Austin Rivers. That also means greater roles for second-round rookies Jawun Evans and Sindarius Thornwell. That’s just too many players facing outsized responsibility.

The Pelicans, Grizzlies, Jazz and any other team competing for the final playoff spots in the Western Conference ought to feel better about their chances. They’re still competing with each other, and it’s doubtful all three make it. But Beverley’s injury helps clear the way.

The Clippers, who didn’t want to take a major step back after Chris Paul‘s departure, must confront an even more uneasy reality.