Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Five

Mark Jackson after being fired as Warriors coach: ‘Now the pressure’s on for them to get a championship’


Mark Jackson was fired as head coach of the Warriors on Tuesday, a move that was only partially related to the team’s performance in terms of wins and losses.

Jackson had poor relationships with members of the front office that included ownership, and that more than anything is what ultimately caused the team to decide to go in a different direction.

The Warriors may have underachieved this year based on preseason expectations. But taking the Clippers to seven games without their best defensive player in Andrew Bogut was overachieving in most people’s eyes, even when taking into account the distraction L.A. endured in the middle of the series by having to deal with the Donald Sterling nonsense.

MORE FROM CSN BAY AREA: Lacob explains rationale for firing Jackson

But again, this year’s first round exit played only a small role in Jackson’s termination, and the expectations placed on the team moving forward will be someone else’s problem. With Jackson now gone, he said the pressure is now on the front office to deliver something better.

From Tim Kawakami of the Contra Costa Times:

JACKSON: I want to thank the Warriors organization for giving me a chance and thank the incredible fans in the area. And thank my players who I love and appreciate.

We accomplished a lot in three years and we should be proud. I wish them nothing but the best.

But to me, now the pressure’s on for them to get a championship. It’s not the time for them to be patient any more. This is a championship-caliber team. We were in the playoffs without David last year, and we were without Bogut this year.

When this team is healthy, it is a legit contender. That’s something that we’re all looking at going forward.

There were rumblings that Jackson was much more of a motivator than he was an Xs and Os genius, and the question this season isn’t whether or not the Warriors should be satisfied with the result, but whether or not another head coach could have done better.

The pressure on the front office to make a hire which will propel the organization forward is immense, and Jackson had no trouble verbalizing that following his dismissal.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.