Tom Izzo

Tom Izzo says he’s never met Pistons owner Tom Gores, blames media


The Pistons owner Tom Gores is reportedly interested in hiring Tom Izzo. Izzo, for his part, didn’t deny his interest.

And that’s the extent of it – at least in reality.

In Izzo’s world…

Izzo on 1130 The Fan:

I’m upset with the media, because somebody’s sitting in the basement making up stuff. And it’s embarrassing to me. It’s embarrassing to me for the Detroit Pistons. When it comes on a across a headline “Tom Izzo says he has no interest” or whatever, that wasn’t even the case. The problem is nobody’s even talked to me. I get all these things. “I know you’ve talked to this person.” “I know you’ve talked to that person.” Because that makes it look embarrassing, like the Pistons have called me, and said something, and I’ve said I had no interest. First of all, nobody has contacted me in any way, shape or form. I don’t have an agent, so they can’t go through my agent. It’s just so ridiculous. Somebody can just make it up. And that’s the Twitter generation. You wonder why I don’t like it.

First of all, to media out there that started that thing, shame on you.

I’ve never met or talked to Tom Gores. I have a great respect has done. I pull for the Pistons every day. I feel for what Joe Dumars is going through. Never once met or talked to him. So, all the all the people who tell me how many times I’ve talked to him or done this, to be very blunt about it, Matt, it gets sickening.

First of all, it’s mother’s basement. If you’re going to say someone is writing from their basement, just go all the way and say mother’s basement.

Second of all, as far as I saw, no credible outlet (using the loosest standard possible) reported the Pistons have contacted Izzo.

Sam Amick of USA Today reported yesterday Gores is expected to pursue Izzo, which set off the latest round of Izzo-to-Pistons analysis. That echoes a report by Stephen A. Smith of ESPN last month, when he said Gores was interested in Izzo.

But neither said the Pistons have contacted Izzo.

The Pistons are surely plotting how they’ll handle their coaching position this offseason. With no permanent head coach in place – John Loyer is serving as interim coach following Maurice Cheeks’ firing – they must take take some type of action. They probably have multiple potential hires in mind, maybe even a favorite. Maybe that favorite is Izzo.

And if it is, that doesn’t mean they’ve contacted him.

The Pistons are the only team to fire their coaching during this season. They have the biggest head start on this process. At the latest, Michigan State’s season will end April 7. There’s no reason the Pistons, even if he’s by far their top choice, can’t wait until then to contact him.

Aside from Izzo tearing down a straw man, the interview yielded some useful information, namely that Izzo hasn’t met Gores.

It will take a special situation for Izzo to leave Michigan State, where he reiterated – truthfully, I’m sure – he’s happy. Maybe the hometown Pistons, whom he says he pulls for, can provide that. But if Izzo hasn’t met the owner, that might reduce the draw for Izzo.

Then again, he can get to know Gores in April, when this will actually pick up steam if it’s going anywhere.

Update: Izzo spoke with Dan Patrick about this issue, saying “I have no interest in coaching the Detroit Pistons right now.” Those last two words make all the difference.

Mark Cuban suggests supplemental draft for undrafted free agents

Mark Cuban
Leave a comment

A lot of people around the NBA have ideas to improve the draft, free agency and the D-League, and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has never been shy about sharing his. His latest idea seems pretty logical: a supplemental draft for undrafted free agents.

Via Hoops Rumors:

“I would have a supplemental draft every summer for undrafted free agents of the current and previous 3 years,” Cuban wrote in an email to Hoops Rumors. “If you are more than 3 years out you are not eligible and just a free agent.”

The supplemental draft would have two rounds, and teams would hold the rights to the players they select for two years, Cuban added. Players can opt out and choose not to make themselves eligible, but those who get picked would receive fully guaranteed minimum-salary contracts when they sign, according to Cuban’s proposal.

“That would make it fun a few weeks after the draft and pre-summer league,” Cuban wrote. “It would prevent some of the insanity that goes on to build summer league rosters.”

It’s an interesting proposition. Most undrafted players who sign during the summer don’t get guaranteed contracts, so when deciding to enter this supplemental draft, they would have to weigh the value of having guaranteed money versus getting to decide where they sign. It’s unlikely that anything like this could happen anytime soon, because of all the hoops to jump through to get the league and the players’ union to sign off on it, but it’s a worthwhile idea that deserves some consideration in the next CBA negotiations.