Pacers' head coach Frank Vogel talks with player Paul George in the second half of Game 3 of the NBA Eastern Conference final basketball playoff series against the Heat in Indianapolis

Tired legs may be to blame for Paul George’s recent shooting slump

29 Comments

Paul George logged a triple-double in the Pacers’ win over the Bulls on Friday by finishing with 10 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists, but had another rough shooting night at the same time.

George managed to hit just three of his 13 attempts from the field, and went 1-of-5 from three-point distance — numbers that have been more consistent recently than he or his team would like to see.

When Indiana was in New York to face the Knicks on Wednesday, I asked Pacers head coach Frank Vogel about George’s offensive struggles that night, when he shot just 4-of-17 as his team took the loss.

“They tried to pack it in and give him threes, and I’d say probably seven or eight of them were open looks,” Vogel said. “Just a tough shooting night. If they’re going to give Paul George open threes, I’ll live with that.”

The thing is, it wasn’t an isolated incident. I immediately pointed out that George was just 4-of-21 from beyond the arc over his last three games, before hitting one late against the Knicks once things had already been decided. Was it just a mini-slump, or did Vogel need to begin to look elsewhere for some offense?

“Paul George open looks, I’m 100 percent good with that,” he said.

Over his last three games, George is shooting 11-of-44 from the field — 25 percent. And over his last four, he’s gone just 6-of-27 from beyond the arc — 22.2 percent.

Vogel may be right in wanting to stick with his star, and he might not have any other choice. But George’s numbers over his last four games would appear to indicate that something is going on, and it may just be simply that fatigue has set in more than usual during this recent stretch.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com pointed out that George had run the fourth-longest distance in the league this season — 172.4 miles. And this week was particularly rough, with Indiana finishing a stretch of playing five games in eight nights.

Rest might be in order before the playoffs begin, and Vogel said on Wednesday that he’s a believer in getting guys some time off if he feels it’s necessary.

“We keep an eye on our guys, how they’re looking with their rest, and manage it appropriately,” Vogel said. “We’ve got a pretty young team, and the veterans wouldn’t sit out if you held a gun to their heads.

“I agree with [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich’s] approach to managing guys,” he continued. “I think there’s a compound effect, because you get some of your key players rest, but the other guys, (a) you get them work, and (b) you see when they rest guys, the other guys usually win games. And that’s because they’re excited about the opportunity to play extended minutes.

“I think it’s a very, very strong philosophy. We just haven’t crossed a bridge where it’s necessary for us yet.”

Indiana has won five of its last six, and still desperately wants that number one seed for the playoffs. But with the team’s best offensive player clearly struggling, the time to put that philosophy into action appears to be upon us.

NBA suspends Hassan Whiteside for elbowing Boban Marjanovic’s head

Leave a comment

Hassan Whiteside lost his cool and elbowed Boban Marjanovic in the head Tuesday.

The Heat center received a flagrant 2 and an ejection, and now he’s getting the rest of his punishment.

NBA release:

Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside has been suspended one game without pay for throwing an elbow and making contact with the head of San Antonio Spurs center Boban Marjanovic, it was announced today by Kiki VanDeWeghe, Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

The incident, for which Whiteside was assessed a Flagrant 2 and ejected, occurred with 9:35 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Spurs’ 119-101 win over the Heat at AmericanAirlines Arena on Feb. 9.

Whiteside will serve his suspension when Miami plays the Atlanta Hawks on Feb. 19 at Philips Arena.

The suspension will cost Whiteside $8,921. As a result, the Heat – in line to become the first team in NBA history to pay the repeater luxury-tax rate – trim their impending tax bill by $24,534.

More importantly for Whiteside, this will be a strike against him for teams considering offering him a big contract in free agency this summer.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist tears labrum

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Getty Images
Leave a comment

October:

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist‘s shoulder injury?

It’s bad.

Now:

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist‘s shoulder injury?

It’s bad.

Hornets:

Kidd-Gilchrist tore his labrum in the preseason, and the injury was expected to sideline him for the year. But he returned a couple weeks ago and helped Charlotte go 5-2.

Now, another setback. This is just awful news for Kidd-Gilchrist and the Hornets. He had worked so hard to get back.

Hopefully, this injury isn’t as severe and Kidd-Gilchrist can play again this season.

Report: Rockets working with Dwight Howard’s agent on trade

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - JANUARY 29: Dwight Howard #12 of the Houston Rockets leaves the game after he was ejected during the third quarter of a NBA game against the Oklahoma City Thunder at the Chesapeake Energy Arena on January 29, 2016 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by J Pat Carter/Getty Images)
J Pat Carter/Getty Images
6 Comments

The Rockets have a lot of problems.

One of them is Dwight Howard.

Howard plans to opt out this summer, and he could command a max contract. Does Houston want to pay the 30-year-old center that much?

That question has become increasingly essential as Houston – losers of three straight and six of eight – has sunk out of playoff position. If Howard can’t help the Rockets achieve anything of note this season, determining his place past this season takes priority.

On that note…

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

The Houston Rockets have started contacting teams about trading eight-time All-Star Dwight Howard, league sources told The Vertical.

The Rockets are working with Howard’s agent, Dan Fegan, on possible destinations, league executives told The Vertical.

Working with Fegan is imperative. Because Howard can become an unrestricted free agent, teams will fear him walking in free agency and propose trades to the Rockets accordingly. That could sink Howard’s value below the threshold where Houston would trade him.

But Howard and Fegan can assure certain teams Howard would re-sign, which would make Howard more valuable to them – and boost their trade offers. The NBA forbids under-the-table agreements, but these discussions happen.

Teams could also look at Howard as a rest-of-season rental, but it’s tough to find win-now teams that need a center. And again, it’s less likely a team would value Howard as a rental enough to appease the Rockets’ trade demands.

For Howard, this could be a chance to secure a larger contract. His max projects to be about $170 million over five years if he re-signs or $128 million over four years elsewhere. Ideally for him, he’ll finish the season with a team he wants to re-sign with.

Is that Houston? He’s reportedly unhappy taking a backseat to James Harden, though he denies it. The Rockets’ dismal record certainly doesn’t engender confidence from anyone.

The Celtics and Rockets reportedly talked Howard trade, and the notion Houston won’t trade Howard looks outdated.

It’ll still take multiple sides to make a deal happen – the Rockets, a trade partner and, depending on the details, probably Howard. Those are a lot of hurdles.

But it seems Houston is ready to try clearing them.

Report: Patrick Beverley to drop from All-Star Saturday Skills Challenge title

Patrick Beverley
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Last season, the Rockets’ Patrick Beverley won the NBA All-Star Saturday skills challenge because of his jump shot. In head-to-head battles with the Hawks’ Jeff Teague and the Bucks (now a Sun) Brandon Knight, Beverley fell behind on the passing part of the competition but made up the ground by knocking down his jump shot at the end.

He was set to come to Toronto to defend his skills title but has been forced to back out due to injury, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical at Yahoo Sports.

After tweaking his ankle Wednesday night in a loss to Portland, Houston Rockets guard Patrick Beverley will not travel to Toronto to defend his skills competition title at All-Star Weekend, league sources told The Vertical.

Beverley wants to rest the ankle over the All-Star break for the Rockets’ final push to make the Western Conference playoffs.

This has yet to be confirmed by the NBA, nor has a replacement been named, but no doubt Woj is accurate on this. No player would risk further injury for a skills competition.

The Rockets have lost six-of-eight, and with the loss to the Blazers Wednesday night have fallen out of the playoffs in the Western Conference. They will need all their players healthy, including Beverley, but they will also need a lot more than that to climb back in the race — they need to start playing defense, they need to stop becoming disinterested for large stretches of the game, and they need someone in that locker room to step up and be a serious leader of men.