Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• LeBron James has his own flavor of Sprite — Sprite 6 Mix by LeBron James. This is the first time Sprite has worked with a celebrity to form their own flavor, but Sprite (owned by Coca-Cola) has a long history with LeBron and with the NBA.
“Growing up drinking Sprite, I never imagined I would have my own flavor someday,” James said in a released statement. “I had a great time working with the Sprite team to turn my favorite flavors into a pretty cool variation of one of my favorite brands.”
The drink has a little cherry and orange flavors added to a regular Sprite taste. Don’t worry, if you want to try it you will see it everywhere you shop soon enough.
• While we are talking Heat, here’s a great look by Ethan Skolnick at Bleacher Report on everything that has been behind the successful Dwyane Wade knee maintainance program.
• Speaking of great reads, check out this one on what Andre Iguodala has brought to Golden State.
• How the NBA is tapping into South Korean pop culture to grow its popularity.
• Speaking of pop culture, Lorde was at a recent Bulls game and was tweeting.
• No Kobe Bryant, no wins and not surprisingly Lakers television ratings in Los Angeles are down by almost 50 percent. A year or two of that happens, but if they stay low for an extended period Time Warner is going to want to renegotiate that monster deal they signed with the Lakers.
• Deadspin‘s Drew Magary took over the Atlanta Hawks’ official twitter feed for a while on Tuesday.
• Chris Paul responds to the criticism of the NBA players’ union’s search for a new executive director. That’s a very polite response, likely not what CP3 was saying under his breath.
• I love this: In Toronto some fans are trying to get the team to do away with the “if your team scores 100 points you get free pizza” promotion because they want fans cheering for the team at the end of the game not booing the guy who missed the shot to get them pizza. We’ve all heard the “we want tacos” or whatever chant from fans at the ends of game. There needs to be a better promotion for food than this, some of which Kelly Dwyer lists in the above link.
• A look at the complexity of fixing the NBA’s lottery system.
• Scoop Jackson does a Q&A with Tom Thibodeau. That is a must click.
• Lakers’ co-owner Jeanie Buss tears up talking about how Kobe Bryant deserves the two-year, $48 million contract extension he got and how he deserves the farewell tour basically coming up for the next couple of years.
• Rajon Rondo needs a lot of patience to help grow these Boston Celtics.
• If you want to know what the life of an NBA beat writer is like, this sums it up pretty well I think.