John Wall leaning toward declining dunk contest invite, but if other stars join he may change his mind

14 Comments

The NBA solicits its star players to compete in All-Star weekend’s dunk contest on a regular basis, but most don’t want to be the biggest name associated with the event.

There’s no upside for someone like LeBron James to enter the dunk contest against a field of mostly lesser-known, non-star players. Win it, and that was what you were supposed to do; lose, and it becomes an unnecessary source of embarrassment.

That’s the situation that John Wall finds himself in as he mulls his invite to participate. There is also an injury concern, but that would seem to disappear rather quickly should other star players decide to enter the contest.

From J. Michael of CSN Washington:

When John Wall was named an All-Star for the first time last week, he told CSN Washington that he was considering invitations from the NBA to participate in the dunk contest and skills competition. He’ll make up his mind Monday, but it appears he’s learning towards the latter because of injury concerns.

Wall is dealing with soreness on the heel of his feet and is worried about the extra pounding, though if the competition involves superstars maybe — just maybe — he could change his mind. …

But make no mistake, the dunk contest is tempting. When Paul George of the Indiana Pacers threw down a 360-windmill dunk two weeks ago, in the locker room after the Wizards played, Wall got word of the feat. After seeing the video of it, Wall insisted that he could’ve done it better.

That’s a bold statement there, Mr. Wall, considering the Paul George dunk is a candidate for the best we’ve seen in a game all season.

Wall was dealing with back spasms earlier in the year, so that combined with the heel thing may in fact be a legitimate reason to not try to do too much. But since he may choose to participate based on who else decides to do the same, the injury concerns likely aren’t all that serious.

Warriors respond to Trump, say trip to D.C. will “celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion”

Getty Images
6 Comments

Last spring during the NBA playoffs, Warriors coach Steve Kerr did not hesitate to criticize President Donald Trump. Stephen Curry also has taken issue with the president and some of his policies.

Saturday, the Warriors were going to discuss an invitation to Trump’s White House — a tradition in many sports where the champion is invited to meet the president and do a photo-op — but on Friday Curry said he would vote no. With that, Trump pulled his invitation.

Saturday the Warriors released a statement.

“While we intended to meet as a team at the first opportunity we had this morning to collaboratively discuss a potential visit to the White House, we accept that President Trump has made it clear that we are not invited. We believe there is nothing more American than our citizens having the right to express themselves freely on matters important to them. We’re disappointed that we did not have an opportunity during this process to share our views or have open dialogue on issues impacting our communities that we felt would be important to raise.

“In lieu of a visit to the White House, we have decided that we’ll constructively use our trip to the nation’s capital in February to celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion — the values that we embrace as an organization.”

That’s classier than some of the responses from others around the NBA to Trump.

The Warriors’ David West explained why the team was leaning toward backing out of going to the White House, and the players’ opposition to Trump.

There would be a number of charitable things the Warriors could do in the area, and the team’s high-profile would draw attention to whatever they choose to focus on. It’s a good move. Try to rise above this silly fracas over a photo-op and do some good.

Report: Suns’ Alan Williams suffers torn meniscus, will miss time

Associated Press
2 Comments

Alan Williams is a guy who worked hard for his spot in the NBA. The UCSB alum started with a 10-day contract, then parlayed that into a Summer League deal where he shined. That evolved into a full season contract with the Suns last year, and they liked what they saw enough to give him a three-year deal this summer (for $17.4 million total).

But now the fan favorite is going to miss at least the start of the season due to a knee injury, reports Chris Haynes and Marc Spears of ESPN.

How much time Williams will miss will depend on the degree of the tear and the course of treatment, but he’s going to be out for training camp and the start of the season.

Williams was already going to be in a fight for minutes on a team fairly deep in the frontcourt with Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender, Alex Len, Tyson Chandler, Anthony Bennett, and Jared Dudley. This setback does not help his cause.

Enes Kanter thanks Thunder fans in video, urges team to beat Warriors

Getty Images
5 Comments

Enes Kanter loved playing in Oklahoma City.

Which made the fact he was traded to the Knicks for Carmelo Anthony difficult. Kanter had been through a lot, his political stance against the ruling party in his native Turkey led to his family being forced to publicly disown him (and his father being arrested and questioned multiple times), plus his passport being revoked while he was in Europe as Turkey tried to force him to return (where he would have been instantly arrested). He has said on multiple occasions that the people of Oklahoma City, and the Thunder organization, provided him a home when his native one was yanked away from him.

He said that again in a thank you and goodbye video to the people of Oklahoma City.

Kanter said he had “no hard feelings. I understand it’s a business.”

He also urged the now-stacked Thunder to go out and beat the Warriors.

NBA Twitter flips out over Carmelo Anthony trade to Thunder

Getty Images
6 Comments

Well, that escalated quickly.

Carmelo Anthony wanted away from the Knicks badly enough that he relented in recently and added Cleveland and Oklahoma City to Houston as places he would waive his no-trade clause for. From there, it took almost no time for Oklahoma City and New York to work out a trade that sent Anthony to the Thunder for Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott, and a second-round pick.

NBA Twitter flipped out on the news. And that started with one of ‘Melo’s new teammates.

Or, is it…