Kobe does not want to play in All-Star Game, may not have choice

30 Comments

Kobe Bryant asked you to vote for Damian Lillard or other young, rising stars of the NBA. You — and by you I mean NBA fans around the globe — voted Kobe in as an All-Star Game starter anyway. For Kobe it would be All-Star Game No. 16.

His reaction? He doesn’t want to play.

Here is his quote, via ESPNLosAngeles.com’s Dave McMenamin.

“With all due respect to the fans that voted me in, I certainly appreciate that, they know how much I appreciate that, but you got to do the right thing as well,” Bryant said before the Lakers’ 109-102 loss to the Miami Heat on Thursday night. “My fans know you got to reward these young guys for the work that they’ve been putting in….

“I think it’s important for them to go in and perform,” Bryant said. “They’ve been playing all season. They deserve to be in there. They deserve to play. So, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be out there doing their thing.”

Sorry Kobe, it doesn’t work that way. Nice try though, spinning it to be about the young players getting their chance.

The NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement says that if a player is voted in by the fans or is selected by the coaches as a reserve, he has to play. If said player is injured the Commissioner can excuse him from the game, but if guys have played for their teams before or after the All-Star Game that permission has not been granted.

Kobe is expected to return from his knee injury prior to the All-Star Game (between that and his Achilles he has played just six games this season so far). There doesn’t seem to be a set rule about repercussions if the All-Star Game is skipped, but the conventional wisdom is he would have to sit out the Lakers’ first two games after the All-Star Game, too.

For Kobe to skip the game in New Orleans, he would need to get special permission from the commissioner. It doesn’t have to be for medical reasons, the commissioner (David Stern now, Adam Silver as of Feb. 2) can excuse a player at his discretion.

Kobe can ask out, but he’s not likely to get permission. This would be a slippery slope for the league — Dwyane Wade has missed more than a quarter of the Heat’s games this season to rest his knees, you know he would love the time off. If the league lets Kobe sit, Wade will want to sit, other veterans such as Carmelo Anthony may want to sit, and every year from now until they finally host the All-Star Game in London (which is a long, long, long way off, if it ever happens) veteran players will beg out of the game for one reason or another.

The league most likely isn’t going to go down that road — this is a huge marketing event for the NBA worldwide, and they are going to give the people what they want. And they want Kobe.

Which brings us to 2008, when Kobe was playing through his broken fingers, was voted an All-Star starter. He played the first 2:52 of that game then sat the rest of the way. We could see something similar in New Orleans. Kobe admitted as much.

“If I played [for the Lakers] before [the All-Star Game], the rule is you got to go in there and play or miss the next two games,” said Bryant. “So, that just means somebody would have to lose a spot, unfortunately and the back-ups would be playing a lot, because I’d go in there and do my two minutes and sit out.”

Those backups are likely going to include younger guards like Lillard and James Harden, plus maybe deserving guys like Goran Dragic and Mike Conley (depending on who the coaches select as reserves, if Chris Paul is healthy and other factors). Which is what Kobe wants anyway.

Victor Oladipo’s practice dunk better than anything he – or maybe anyone – did in dunk contest (video)

Leave a comment

Victor Oladipo has grown into far more than just a dunker.

In fact, in Saturday’s dunk contest, he didn’t look like a dunker at all.

The Pacers star missed all three attempts of his first dunk, and a Black Panther mask was by far the biggest draw of his second. Oladipo was eliminated after the first round.

Maybe Dennis Smith Jr. wasn’t the only eliminated dunker who left something in his bag. This Oladipo dunk – 180 degrees, throwing ball off the backboard with his left hand while in mid-air, dunking with his right hand – while preparing in Los Angeles was awesome.

Larry Nance Jr. had the contest’s best dunk. This would have rivaled it.

Pelicans owner Tom Benson hospitalized with flu symptoms

Sean Gardner/Getty Images
Leave a comment

METAIRIE, La. (AP) — New Orleans Saints and Pelicans Owner Tom Benson has been hospitalized with flu symptoms.

A statement released Wednesday by the NFL and NBA clubs says their 90-year-old owner is resting comfortably at Ochsner Medical Center, a hospital which also serves as a major sponsor and which owns naming rights to the teams’ training headquarters.

Benson has owned the New Orleans Saints since 1985 and bought the New Orleans Pelicans in 2012.

In recent years, Benson has overhauled his estate plan so that his third wife, Gayle, would be first in line to inherit control of the two major professional franchises.

 

Report: Seattle hosting Kings-Warriors preseason game

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
1 Comment

Kevin Durant spent his rookie season in Seattle, before the SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City and became the Thunder. He has said Seattle fans deserved to see him grow up in the NBA after supporting his promising start.

They’ll get their chance.

Ailene Voisin of The Sacramento Bee:

The Kings and Golden State Warriors have scheduled a preseason game next season in Seattle, according to multiple league sources.

The Oct. 6 meeting between Northern California teams will be the first NBA game in the Key Arena since the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City after the 2007-08 season and became the Thunder.

This game will be loaded with storylines. Not only Durant, but the Kings considered moving to Seattle a few years ago. And of course, the return of NBA basketball to Seattle.

At some point, Seattle will get its own team again. For now, this preseason game creates intrigue there.

Report: Kawhi Leonard cleared medically, seeking second opinion

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
8 Comments

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he’d be surprised if Kawhi Leonard played again this season, a stark reversal from just a month ago. Back then, even while announcing Leonard was out indefinitely with a quad injury, the San Antonio coach said Leonard wouldn’t miss the rest of the season.

What’s going on?

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

After spending 10 days before the All-Star break in New York consulting with a specialist to gather a second opinion on his right quad injury, All-NBA forward Kawhi Leonard bears the burden of determining when he’s prepared to play again, sources told ESPN.

Leonard has been medically cleared to return from the right quad tendinopathy injury, but since shutting down a nine-game return to the Spurs that ended Jan. 13, he has elected against returning to the active roster, sources said.

The uncertainty surrounding this season — and Leonard’s future which could include free agency in the summer of 2019 — has inspired a palpable stress around the organization, league sources said.

At first glance, this sounds like Derrick Rose five years ago. Even after he was cleared to play following a torn ACL, the then-Bulls star remained mysterious about when he’d suit up. His confidence in his physical abilities seemed to be a major issue, and he was never the same player since (suffering more leg injuries).

But the Spurs famously favor resting players to preserve long-term health. They seem unlikely to rush back Leonard. They might even sit players who want to play more often. And Leonard isn’t Rose.

Still, it’s clear something is amiss in San Antonio. Maybe not amiss enough to end Leonard’s tenure there, but the longer this lingers, the more time for tension to percolate.