Gasol-Bynum trade talks update: Talks reportedly on hold as Lakers, Cavaliers can’t make deal work

11 Comments

Don’t be shocked if word comes down Monday at that Andrew Bynum is on his way to the Utah Jazz. Or maybe the Cavaliers just decide to hold on to Bynum for a day then waive him themselves on Tuesday.

That’s because the much-discussed Bynum to the Los Angeles Lakers for Pau Gasol talks have stalled out on the same issues that have hung them up for days. The two sides will keep talking but with a real deadline here of Monday (if you are going to waive Bynum by Tuesday) a deal seems unlikely. Brian Windhorst and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN have the details.

Though the discussions have been varied and both sides considered numerous possibilities, the central issue never wavered, sources said.

The Lakers wanted more than just salary savings that trading for Bynum and waiving him would bring, primarily a young player or valuable draft pick. Trading for and cutting Bynum had the potential to save the Lakers more than $20 million in salary and luxury taxes. The Cavs, who stood to add millions to their own payroll with the deal, have resisted meeting the price because Gasol will be a free agent at the end of the season.

The two sides just see the value of Gasol differently. For the Lakers, they see themselves moving a former All-Star and NBA champion who is skilled in the post and can really help a team, and they want to be compensated as such. The Cavaliers want Gasol for those skills to help make a playoff run, but they expect he is a half-season rental and they wisely shouldn’t give up long-term rebuilding assets to make the playoffs this season.

Cleveland had been in talks with the Utah Jazz for a deal that would send Bynum to Utah for veteran swingman Richard Jefferson. That deal could still come together.

Or the Cavaliers could just waive Bynum themselves. Whoever waives Bynum on Jan. 7 will not have to pay the second $6.2 million he is owed for this season (or the $12.5 million he is owed next season).

Once Bynum does clear waivers there will be a few teams looking to bring in the big man with the bad knees to be a reserve for them. Teams like Miami and maybe the Clippers will have interest — but only on a minimum contract.

Report: Clippers hiring ex-Cavaliers executive Trent Redden

AP Photo/Mark Duncan
Leave a comment

The power dynamics within the Clippers are shifting, and the ground apparently hasn’t settled yet.

Doc Rivers has been stripped of his presidency. Jerry West became a consultant. Lawrence Frank now holds the most prestigious title in the front office, and newly hired Michael Winger will report to him. Also falling under Frank in the organizational chart? Trent Redden.

Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN:

Longtime Cleveland Cavaliers executive Trent Redden will join the LA Clippers’ front-office staff as assistant general manager, league sources said on Monday.

Redden was ousted in Cleveland with David Griffin. He’ll help the Clippers simply by providing another capable executive. They’ve long needed to add front-office employees (and pay for them).

But Redden also exacerbates the issue of Frank’s underlings having far more front-office experience than him. As the Clippers try to establish their new setup, we’ll see whether that creates complications.

Warriors’ Steve Kerr: I expect to coach all season and for many years ahead

AP Photo/Jeff Chiu
3 Comments

Warriors coach Steve Kerr has missed significant time the last two seasons due to complications from back surgery.

Could those issues derail his career?

Kerr, via Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle:

“I fully expect to coach all year,” Kerr says in a no-nonsense tone. “That’s my expectation. And for many years to come.”

On the most basic level, it’d be good if Kerr feels well enough to coach. The headaches sound miserable, regardless of his job.

But it’d also be ideal if the NBA didn’t lose one of its best coaches just as he’s getting started. The 51-year-old Kerr might wind up the greatest coach of all time. Obviously that’s a long way off, but he has that potential – health permitting.

Quinn Cook signing two-year contract with Hawks

Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for TNT
1 Comment

The Hawks began last season with just two point guards, one fewer than most teams – especially notable because neither starter Dennis Schroder nor backup Malcolm Delaney was experienced for his role.

Schroder and Delaney return, but Atlanta is adding another option – Quinn Cook.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

Cook is a borderline NBA player. He might not make the regular-season roster. He also might supplant Delaney for a rotation spot.

A 24-year-old who has spent most of the last two years in the D-League (also getting stints with the Mavericks and Pelicans), Cook is a good outside shooter. He’s also steady, if unspectacular, in his lead-guard duties.

This is a solid flier at a position the Hawks could use depth.

Knicks sign Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Jamel Artis

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Knicks signing Nigel Hayes leaked first.

But New York didn’t stop there.

Knicks release:

The New York Knickerbockers announced today that the team has signed forwards Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes and guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

Like Hayes, Artis (Pittsburgh) and Rathan-Mayes (Florida State) went undrafted this year – making them eligible to be waived and assigned to the Knicks’ minor-league affiliate. That’s likely all three’s fate.

But first, each will have an opportunity to make the regular-season roster. The Knicks have just 14 players with guaranteed salaries, leaving one roster spot for someone on a standard contract. Chasson Randle (unguaranteed) is the incumbent choice, but these three could supplant him.