Carmelo Anthony

Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony

19 Comments

The Knicks have won two straight in blowout fashion, looking a little like last year’s club with the hot three-point shooting and briefly returning some sense of sanity to the team and its fan base.

The media has yet to catch up, however, as the reports and rumors continue to fly about Carmelo Anthony’s future in New York, and whether or not he’ll leave the team as a free agent next summer.

Anthony denied a report on Thursday that his mind was already made up to leave the team for greener pastures, and with so much time left in this current season, it’s easy to believe that he hasn’t made any such plans just yet.

If things continue to take a turn for the worst in New York, however, and Anthony decides mid-season that he wants out, he’ll have to wait until the year is finished. Because the Knicks, this latest report says, are not going to trade Anthony even if he tells them emphatically that he’s not coming back.

From Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com:

If the Knicks do not turn around their season when Tyson Chandler returns from injury, you can expect the Anthony issue to become a monster heading toward the February trade deadline. Because if Anthony doesn’t think the Knicks are best for him over the next five years, he will make it an issue and possibly force a trade again if he thinks that would be best for him.

The Knicks, sources say, have zero intention of trading Anthony no matter what he says about next summer. Not only did owner Jim Dolan personally seal the deal to bring Anthony to New York, but the front office realizes it has one of the most talented players in the league and won’t be able to get fair value in return.

The report goes on to discuss Anthony’s history of making decisions based solely on maximizing his earning potential, and forcing a trade out of Denver to the league’s biggest market, as well as taking a max contract extension the moment he was eligible back in 2006 certainly do nothing to refute that assertion.

In free agency next summer, Anthony will be facing the same decision that Dwight Howard faced in the one that just passed: Stay in a less than ideal situation for five years and an extra $30 million or so, or go play in a better one for four years and leave that money on the table.

I said it before Howard left Los Angeles, and I believe the same holds true for Anthony now. In Carmelo’s case, we’re talking about someone who already has earned north of $135 million in career salary, and that’s before we get into any endorsement dollars.

That extra year in a terrible situation becomes less enticing when you have more money than you know what to do with, and the scrutiny that comes in New York (and Los Angeles) when the losses are piling up might not be worth it when it’s time to make that decision.

Richard Jefferson wears crazy Snapchat glasses for POV look at dunking (VIDEO)

richard jefferson
Getty
Leave a comment

Cleveland Cavaliers veteran Richard Jefferson has a legendary Snapchat account, and I think it just got even better.

During a video posted to Jefferson’s account on Saturday, viewers were able to see a point-of-view account of what it’s like to be an NBA player practicing 3-pointers and dunking down lob passes.

Thanks to a pair of Snapchat Spectacles — a video camera in a set of glasses and paired with the social application — Jefferson gave us a taste of what it’s like to be an NBA player, if only for a moment.

I think it’s pretty cool to see from his perspective. Thanks to the evolution of wearable technology and 3D viewing equipment this is probably just a very small preview of what our viewing experience for the NBA is going to be like in 10-15 years.

LeBron James Jr. easily drops halfcourt shot on dad’s Instagram (VIDEO)

lebron james jr bronny
Instagram
Leave a comment

Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James likes to throw in a couple of halfcourt shots before games, just as a little warmup. It looks like his son, LeBron James Jr. is following in his footsteps.

On Friday, James posted a video to his Instagram of Jr. — known as “Bronny” — casually tossing in a halfcourt shot at Quicken Loans Arena.

Via Instagram:

Bronny showing the range post game!! Something lite. #JamesGang🔥 #StriveForGreatness🚀

A video posted by LeBron James (@kingjames) on

That’s one talented 12-year-old kid.

Liquor company Jägermeister says Bucks’ new logo is too similar to their own

buckjagerlogo
4 Comments

MILWAUKEE (AP) A German company that makes a popular liqueur is not raising a shot glass to the Milwaukee Bucks’ redesigned logo.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Jägermeister has filed formal opposition with an appeal board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office about the registration of the logo.

The company contends it “has established exclusive rights in the DEER HEAD Marks through use in commerce in the United States” going back to 1968. It cites numerous reasons to oppose registration for the NBA team, including the possibility that people might confuse the two companies or believe they are connected or affiliated.

Both logos feature forward-looking deer with large antlers inside a circle or partial circle in about the same proportions.

Neither the Bucks nor Jägermeister returned messages seeking comment.

Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, http://www.jsonline.com

Carmelo on NBA CBA opt-out deadline: “I’m skeptical of something getting done”

Celebrity Sightings In New York City - May 07, 2015
GC
5 Comments

After months of reports that the NBA and the NBAPA would be able to reach an agreement on a new CBA, it appears the two sides have hit a snag.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN is reporting that the league and the player’s union are unlikely to agree to terms before Thursday’s deadline for the players to opt-out of the current CBA.

Via ESPN:

“I’m skeptical of something getting done,” Anthony, who is the vice president of the NBPA told ESPN after the New York Knicks practiced Saturday in Los Angeles. “Do I think something could happen by the 15th? Yeah I think something could happen. But I think this kind of put a dent in conversations.

“We had something so close. We were supposed to have a deal done weeks ago, and for this to happen at the 25th hour is tough.”

This is not good news for the talks, which have reportedly gone smoothly thus far and for good reason: money.

There’s more of it to be had all around for both sides, and as Basketball Related Income (or BRI) rises, so has the NBA salary cap.

Despite this unfortunate news, it’s not all doom and gloom for NBA fans hoping to avoid a lockout. While Dec. 15 is the opt-out date for the players and they will almost certainly take it, the current CBA doesn’t expire until June of 2017.

That means there won’t be any kind of work stoppage for the 2016-17 NBA season, but both sides would have a hard date of June 30 before ostensibly triggering one.

The good news is, hopefully, that since the two sides have already been working hard on a deal that they would be close on the terms they need to settle over the following six months.

A big question is apparently whether they can still make Thursday’s deadline, as Anthony has reportedly said it would take significant discussion time and constant work to finish the deal as it stands.

No word yet on what the issue is between the league and the players, as Anthony declined to elaborate.