nick young

Lakers coach D’Antoni believes Nick Young could win Sixth Man of the Year


Nick Young has historically had an offensive-minded, streaky game as a shooter that made him a logical choice to play in Mike D’Antoni’s system, especially on a contract near the veteran’s minimum salary for two years at most.

But his play with the Lakers has been surprisingly consistent to this point in the season, and Young has even shown flashes on the defensive end of the floor, taking a charge with the game on the line in L.A.’s most recent win over the Pistons.

D’Antoni believes Young’s play off the bench (should it continue) might make him a strong candidate for Sixth Man of the Year, as long as the Lakers as a team achieve some measure of success.

From Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News:

“He should. If we can get our record [good],” D’Antoni said. “That’s going to be the product of the team. He’s playing well enough. But if we surprise people, get in the playoffs and do really well, yeah, he’ll have a really good chance at it.” …

“I’m loving it with his concentration and ability not to take a play off,” D’Antoni said. “We have a few guys who have home run trots and were not engaged. But for the most part, most guys have gotten that out of their game. They’re engaged. A lot of that is due to the chemistry of the team and how they feel about themselves. We can keep getting better. He’s playing both ends of the floor. He’s playing phenomenally.”

Young is averaging 14 points while shooting 43.6 percent in 25.2 minutes per game so far this season. He’s started six of the Lakers’ 17 games, but that was due to other guys being injured more than it was D’Antoni’s preference.

J.R. Smith took home the Sixth Man award last year by averaging 18.1 points per game for the Knicks, albeit in a much larger, 33.1 minutes per game role. James Harden won it the year before that in his final season in Oklahoma City with a 19.3 points per game average in 31.4 minutes per contest.

It would seem to be a stretch for Young to win it based on his current numbers, but who knows? If he continues to play meaningful minutes consistently with the occasional burst and the Lakers find themselves in the playoffs at the end of the season, it’s a possibility if nothing else.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.