Kobe says he’s “probably weeks” away from returning, talks new contract

17 Comments

Kobe Bryant was in a good mood — of course if you just signed a new $48.5 million contract you would be too.

Bryant spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday since signing his new contract (the press conference was broadcast on Time Warner Sportsnet in Los Angeles). Kobe was in Washington with the Lakers, where they will take on the Wizards.

But even with the new deal he’s not getting back on the court immediately. Kobe said he feels strong but it will be “probably weeks” before his returns, adding he hasn’t felt he has his explosiveness back to where he wants it. The Lakers have a lighter schedule next week with three practices and he said that will give him a better idea of his timetable.

“I need more practices to measure it, test it, (to see if) some of the limitations I had in the first couple of practices come back and see if they are still there,” Bryant said. “If not, go from there.”

Kobe also knows he’s going to be on a bit of a minutes limit when he returns, and he’s good with that.

As for his contract, Kobe talked about his personal relationship with the Buss family and his loyalty to the Lakers organization. He reiterated that from his end there were no negotiations.

“We had no conversation whatsoever,” Bryant said. “The only number I saw was the one that I agreed to.”

Criticism of the deal from fans and media has been that it is too large — at $23.5 million next year and $25 million the final year it will cut into the ability of the Lakers to lure enough elite talent to play with Kobe to win him the sixth ring he so covets.

Not surprisingly, Bryant agrees with Lakers’ GM Mitch Kupchak that there is enough flexibility to make a deal.

“From what I saw absolutely (they can build a contender),” Bryant said. “I think the fans are, God bless them, they are fans and they have good intentions and a good spirit about it, but I don’t think they understand the cap, or strategically what the Lakers are trying to do better than the Lakers do. I think we’ll be alright.”

Kobe admitted that it would not likely have been a two-year extension if he hadn’t ruptured his Achilles, putting a new obstacle in his path and motivating him to keep going.

So is this his last contract?

“Probably.”

Report: Mavericks will decline $25 million option for Dirk Nowitzki, sign him to new deal

AP
Leave a comment

Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki had a huge $25 million team option on his contract for the upcoming 2017-18 NBA season. It now appears that the team will not exercise that option, and will instead try to re-sign their star player for an additional few years.

Given the context of the Mavericks roster, it makes sense that the team would want to allocate its resources as the NBA salary cap goes even further up the scale. Nowitzki’s salary would have remained a huge chunk of change as the Mavericks yet again try to go after free agents this summer.

While a restructuring of his contract to, say, half the amount it would have been originally would not give Dallas room for a max-level free agent, it could at least give them the capacity to go after mid-level exception type of players.

Meanwhile, it’s not clear what kind of contract the Mavericks will try to sign Nowitzki to. Reports at this point say that a two-year deal for Nowitzki Is one of the options are being considered.

The question now will be what kind of deal will Mark Cuban offer his favorite player, And how low Nowitzki Is willing to go.

Via ESPN:

Nowitzki’s advanced statistics were down from prior seasons, particularly affecting his offensive efficiency thanks to dips in both field goal percentage and free-throw rate. He also only played and 54 games last year, a real concern as the Dallas roster looks to be carried by a player going into his age 39 season.

Paul George disputes the idea that he’s already moved out of his house in Indiana

1 Comment

Rumors spread on social media this week as moving trucks were found outside of Indiana Pacers star forward Paul George‘s house. But were they really his?

The user posted photos of giant moving trucks outside of a house in George’s neighborhood to Snapchat. People began speculating wildly that George, the subject of trade rumors for the last few weeks, could be on the move.

Now, the Pacers start has taken to Twitter to dispute the moving trucks as his. So whose were they?

According to George, they were there to move his neighbors.

Via Twitter:

Well I guess that settles that.

The other obvious answer is that they were George’s and NBA players simply move to new locations during the summer. Half of the NBA it seems lives in the Los Angeles area come the off-season, or at least train there, so seeing moving trucks outside of his house would not have been an anomaly if you ask me.

We are past the 2017 NBA Draft and still we have no deal for George. But the NBA off-season is long, and free agency is just around the corner. I am sure that we will see a new landing spot for George in the coming months.

Then we can send somebody on over to see if there are moving trucks at his house.

Hornets’ GM slips up, introduces Dwayne Bacon as Dwyane Wade

5 Comments

It’s a slip that would have made Freud proud.

Charlotte had a good draft night. In the first round, Kentucky shooter Malik Monk fell to them at 11 and they grabbed him. In the second round, they took a smart risk with Florida State wing Dwayne Bacon.

Friday came the usual team press conference with the GM introducing his players and Charlotte GM Rich Cho made a mistake, introducing Bacon as “Dwyane Wade.”

I love Bacon’s reaction.

Cho instantly realized his mistake and laughed it off, then later said: “Actually, I think they have some similarities.” Hornets fans can only hope.

Kevin Durant trolls Westbrook, haters with cupcake hat — now topped with a ring

10 Comments

Back when Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook were breaking into the NBA together and learning how to win together, one of their veteran mentors was tough guy Kendrick Perkins. When Perkins thought someone was acting soft, he called that player a “cupcake.”

When news broke on the Fourth of July last summer that Durant was leaving OKC for Golden State, the NBA world freaked out. Except for Westbrook. He just posted one Instagram photo that day — a tiered tray of red, white, and blue cupcakes. It was meant as a subtle jab at Durant, but when word got out (via Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated) what it meant, Thunder fans embraced it and had cupcake signs and clothing made for Durant’s return to Oklahoma City.

Durant had the last laugh — he’s got a new hat with a cupcake on it, topped by a ring.

Well played Durant. Well played.