Paul George

Report: Paul George, Pacers finalizing five-year max contract

28 Comments

Of the 15 players who made the All-NBA first, second or third team last season, Paul George was the youngest.

On a related note, the 23-year-old is also arguably the most raw star in the league. Even though he just won Most Improved Player, George can become a a more-polished ball-handler and take his game to an even higher level.

That’s what the Pacers, whom George already led within a game of the NBA Finals, are apparently banking on.

Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports:

All-Star forward Paul George and the Indiana Pacers are finalizing a five-year, $90 million-plus maximum contract extension, league sources told Yahoo Sports.A deal is expected to be signed this week, league sources told Yahoo.For the Pacers and George, who was voted the 2013 NBA Most Improved Player, the five-year deal will cement the gifted young forward as Indiana’s designated franchise player.

George joins Derrick Rose, James Harden, Blake Griffin and Russell Westbrook as the only players to receive the “designated” player tag. The distinction, created in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, allows teams to give one player a five-year extension rather than a four-year extension.Because George made the All-NBA third team last season, he could be eligible for even more money than otherwise allowable. Most players with six or fewer seasons of experience can make only up to 25 percent of the salary cap. But George, if he makes another All-NBA team (first, second or third), would be eligible to receive up to 30 percent of the salary cap. Because the extension will be signed before the season’s award votes are tallied, George and the Pacers will agree to stipulations based for both scenarios.

No matter how the final details shake out, George will earn a lot of money, and Indiana is happy to pay him. It had been clear a deal was coming, both sides committed to each other.

The Heat are aging, and as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh show their wear and tear (or leave in free agency), the East becomes more wide open. The Pacers are in the mix, but George was integral to that.

With George to be locked up, Indiana ensures it will contend next season and maybe even play favorite down the road if George improves as hoped. If he doesn’t, it’s still possible this is a decent deal for the Pacers. He’s that good.

Richard Jefferson wears crazy Snapchat glasses for POV look at dunking (VIDEO)

richard jefferson
Getty
Leave a comment

Cleveland Cavaliers veteran Richard Jefferson has a legendary Snapchat account, and I think it just got even better.

During a video posted to Jefferson’s account on Saturday, viewers were able to see a point-of-view account of what it’s like to be an NBA player practicing 3-pointers and dunking down lob passes.

Thanks to a pair of Snapchat Spectacles — a video camera in a set of glasses and paired with the social application — Jefferson gave us a taste of what it’s like to be an NBA player, if only for a moment.

I think it’s pretty cool to see from his perspective. Thanks to the evolution of wearable technology and 3D viewing equipment this is probably just a very small preview of what our viewing experience for the NBA is going to be like in 10-15 years.

LeBron James Jr. easily drops halfcourt shot on dad’s Instagram (VIDEO)

lebron james jr bronny
Instagram
Leave a comment

Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James likes to throw in a couple of halfcourt shots before games, just as a little warmup. It looks like his son, LeBron James Jr. is following in his footsteps.

On Friday, James posted a video to his Instagram of Jr. — known as “Bronny” — casually tossing in a halfcourt shot at Quicken Loans Arena.

Via Instagram:

Bronny showing the range post game!! Something lite. #JamesGang🔥 #StriveForGreatness🚀

A video posted by LeBron James (@kingjames) on

That’s one talented 12-year-old kid.

Liquor company Jägermeister says Bucks’ new logo is too similar to their own

buckjagerlogo
4 Comments

MILWAUKEE (AP) A German company that makes a popular liqueur is not raising a shot glass to the Milwaukee Bucks’ redesigned logo.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Jägermeister has filed formal opposition with an appeal board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office about the registration of the logo.

The company contends it “has established exclusive rights in the DEER HEAD Marks through use in commerce in the United States” going back to 1968. It cites numerous reasons to oppose registration for the NBA team, including the possibility that people might confuse the two companies or believe they are connected or affiliated.

Both logos feature forward-looking deer with large antlers inside a circle or partial circle in about the same proportions.

Neither the Bucks nor Jägermeister returned messages seeking comment.

Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, http://www.jsonline.com

Carmelo on NBA CBA opt-out deadline: “I’m skeptical of something getting done”

Celebrity Sightings In New York City - May 07, 2015
GC
5 Comments

After months of reports that the NBA and the NBAPA would be able to reach an agreement on a new CBA, it appears the two sides have hit a snag.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN is reporting that the league and the player’s union are unlikely to agree to terms before Thursday’s deadline for the players to opt-out of the current CBA.

Via ESPN:

“I’m skeptical of something getting done,” Anthony, who is the vice president of the NBPA told ESPN after the New York Knicks practiced Saturday in Los Angeles. “Do I think something could happen by the 15th? Yeah I think something could happen. But I think this kind of put a dent in conversations.

“We had something so close. We were supposed to have a deal done weeks ago, and for this to happen at the 25th hour is tough.”

This is not good news for the talks, which have reportedly gone smoothly thus far and for good reason: money.

There’s more of it to be had all around for both sides, and as Basketball Related Income (or BRI) rises, so has the NBA salary cap.

Despite this unfortunate news, it’s not all doom and gloom for NBA fans hoping to avoid a lockout. While Dec. 15 is the opt-out date for the players and they will almost certainly take it, the current CBA doesn’t expire until June of 2017.

That means there won’t be any kind of work stoppage for the 2016-17 NBA season, but both sides would have a hard date of June 30 before ostensibly triggering one.

The good news is, hopefully, that since the two sides have already been working hard on a deal that they would be close on the terms they need to settle over the following six months.

A big question is apparently whether they can still make Thursday’s deadline, as Anthony has reportedly said it would take significant discussion time and constant work to finish the deal as it stands.

No word yet on what the issue is between the league and the players, as Anthony declined to elaborate.