We’ve been bringing you report after report from around the Lakers and Kobe Bryant himself where everyone says he ahead of schedule and doing well in his recover from Achilles tendon surgery — but nobody will put an official timeline on it. Kobe said he doesn’t know if he will be ready to go when the season starts.
Now comes another report he is still doing well but this one comes with a more realistic timeline — he may miss the entire Lakers preseason slate.
That comes from Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
“He’s progressing well and has met all the targets and milestones of his rehab, and we expect him to make a full recovery,” Lakers spokesman John Black told The Times on Monday. “One of the key issues is to make sure he builds up strength and endurance not only in his Achilles but also in his legs, knees, back and core.”
Bryant’s initial timetable called for at least six to nine months of recovery after he was injured April 12 against Golden State. The more optimistic part would put him in play for two Lakers exhibition games in China next month, though Bryant is expected to miss the Lakers’ entire eight-game preseason schedule that ends Oct. 25.
The Lakers open the season Oct. 29 against the Clippers at Staples Center (the front end of a back-to-back where they travel up to Golden State).
Kobe is still not running with his full weight on his legs (he is doing his workouts on an anti-gravity machine), and until he is the Lakers’ Black said they are not going to look at timetables. Which makes sense because after that still comes all the steps of running and cutting that comes with being in a basketball game.
The Lakers don’t want to rush Kobe back — and Kobe shouldn’t rush himself back faster than his body wants to go. If he wants to play a few more years (as he now says he does) he needs to get right, not rush it and risk setbacks. Few athletes are as in tune with their body as Kobe yet few will push themselves like he will, there is a balance to be struck there.
Honestly, is this a Lakers roster worth risking himself to race back for? That’s not how Kobe thinks, but this is not a title year for the Lakers so he should make sure he is right for the ones that could potentially be down the line.
The Hawks began last season with just two point guards, one fewer than most teams – especially notable because neither starter Dennis Schroder nor backup Malcolm Delaney was experienced for his role.
Schroder and Delaney return, but Atlanta is adding another option – Quinn Cook.
Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:
Cook is a borderline NBA player. He might not make the regular-season roster. He also might supplant Delaney for a rotation spot.
A 24-year-old who has spent most of the last two years in the D-League (also getting stints with the Mavericks and Pelicans), Cook is a good outside shooter. He’s also steady, if unspectacular, in his lead-guard duties.
This is a solid flier at a position the Hawks could use depth.
The Knicks signing Nigel Hayes leaked first.
But New York didn’t stop there.
The New York Knickerbockers announced today that the team has signed forwards Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes and guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes.
Like Hayes, Artis (Pittsburgh) and Rathan-Mayes (Florida State) went undrafted this year – making them eligible to be waived and assigned to the Knicks’ minor-league affiliate. That’s likely all three’s fate.
But first, each will have an opportunity to make the regular-season roster. The Knicks have just 14 players with guaranteed salaries, leaving one roster spot for someone on a standard contract. Chasson Randle (unguaranteed) is the incumbent choice, but these three could supplant him.
Last year, O.J. Mayo was banned from the NBA for at least two years due to a drug violation. Aside from stating a plan to come back, Mayo didn’t say much publicly.
Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated:
He acknowledged smoking marijuana and abusing a prescription pain medication that triggered his two-year ban because it is on the NBA’s “drugs of abuse” list. (He emphatically denied testing positive for hard drugs like cocaine.)
Mayo also concluded that he had been “overwhelmed” by a string of difficult life events: his father, high school basketball star Kenny Ziegler, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for distributing crack cocaine, his brother was placed in juvenile lock-up, a close friend went to jail, and another was killed. “I was bred to play basketball and I thought I could balance everything,” he said. “I couldn’t.”
That’s part of an interesting feature on Mayo, who’s training for his come back. Golliver’s story makes it easy to pull for Mayo.
But the guard will be 30 when he’s eligible to apply for reinstatement, and he played lousily in his last three seasons with the Bucks.
Hopefully, Mayo has and keeps his personal life in order. But returning to the NBA will be an uphill battle.
What chemistry problem?
There are legitimate questions about how Chris Paul and James Harden will share the backcourt and ball with the Rockets, but none of those were on display on Sunday. That’s when CP3 joined his new teammate in Harden’s charity game (raising money for Harden’s charity, which helps children from single-family homes get a higher education), a kind of pro-am with some names thrown in to draw a crowd.
Harden and CP3 put on a show for the fans.
This is a charity event, not every team is going to defend like this or the Phoenix Suns. It’s going to be harder when the games matter.
But the Rockets are going to be entertaining to watch this season. No doubt.