Indiana Pacers v New York Knicks - Game Five

Carmelo Anthony expects the Knicks to be better than they were last year

31 Comments

The Knicks had a great regular season in 2013, finishing with the second-best record in the East behind only the defending champion Miami Heat.

Carmelo Anthony leading the league in scoring was a big part of that, as was J.R. Smith putting together a season worthy of him bringing home the league’s Sixth Man of the Year honor.

But despite the competition stiffening this offseason, the Knicks star believes that his team will be even better next season.

From Marc Berman of the New York Post:

“We were the top two seed last year,’’ Anthony said. “I think nobody expected that. This year we expect to do the same thing. I actually see this team be better than last year’s team. I won’t get into all the details [why]. But we feel that. We feel we have improved as a unit.”

The Knicks went 54-28, winning the Atlantic Division, but petered out in the second round, losing in six games to the Pacers. The Knicks drafted Tim Hardaway Jr. and added Metta World Peace, Andrea Bargnani and point guard Beno Udrih. Their losses were Jason Kidd, Steve Novak and Marcus Camby, all three of whom barely played in the playoffs. Still, some are predicting the Knicks to drop to fifth in the East.

Those who are expecting a drop off for the Knicks next year are doing so largely based on what’s going on with other teams, as opposed to focusing on whether New York improved, stayed the same, or got worse from a talent perspective.

Most expect the Heat to be near the top of the Conference once again, and the Pacers, coming off of a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals, added depth to their bench which (along with that experience) have many favoring them to make a regular season leap this season.

Then there are the Bulls, who expect to have Derrick Rose ready for the first day of training camp. His addition alone would appear to make Chicago formidable all season long.

Finally, we have the Nets, who added Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to round out what will now be a stacked starting five along with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Brook Lopez.

The way the others in the East’s upper echelon bulked up, the Knicks are going to have their hands full. Anthony’s comments aren’t a surprise, but he may have a tougher time than he did a season ago in leading his team to as high as a two-seed for the second straight season.

Al Horford shows he still has hops dunking on Solomon Hill (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

That’s just nasty.

Atlanta’s Al Horford gets the ball out high, but within his range, so when he pump fakes Indiana’s Lavoy Allen goes flying by. That opens up the lane and Horford attacks it, Solomon Hill tries to cut him off, but Horford just finishes threw him.

Pacers and Hawks played an entertaining, close game Friday night.

Dwyane Wade shows he still has hops with dunk on Hornets (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade still has some springs.

In what may be his best dunk in recent memory, he shoulders Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to create space in transition, then gets up and throws it down before Nicolas Batum can get there for the block.

Not sure even Wade saw that one coming.

Reigning dunk champ LaVine: ‘I’ve got tricks up my sleeve’

Leave a comment

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves guard Zach LaVine is heading back to All-Star weekend to defend his slam dunk title. And he says he has “a few tricks up my sleeve” after dominating the event last year.

LaVine will compete against Detroit center Andre Drummond, Denver swingman Will Barton and Orlando forward Aaron Gordon in Toronto next weekend.

LaVine was one of the breakout stars of All-Star weekend last year with his electric performance in the dunk contest. He says he debated about coming back and made his decision after strong encouragement from his fans.

If LaVine wins, he will become the fourth player in the 31-year history of the event to repeat as champion. Michael Jordan, Jason Richardson and Nate Robinson are the others.

Report: Blake Griffin has second procedure on hand, timeline remains unchanged

Blake Griffin
Leave a comment

Blake Griffin will still return to the Clippers some time in March (barring any setbacks).

That said, he had a second procedure this week to repair the boxer’s fracture in his right hand, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.

Clippers forward Blake Griffin underwent a second procedure this week on his broke right hand, sources told ESPN. The procedure was a part of the original surgery last week, so sources said the 4-6 week timeframe for his return remains unchanged.

This might help explain why Griffin’s hand looked so swollen and scarred this week. But to be clear, this was a planned second procedure, not a setback.

Griffin suffered the fracture punching a Clippers’ equipment manager while everyone was out to dinner in Toronto recently, while Griffin was still sidelined with a quadricep injury. The Clippers have moved on, but it is likely the league will tack on a couple of game suspension for Griffin upon his return to health.

And no, the Clippers are not looking to trade Griffin in spite of this. So stop asking.