Cuttino Mobley dropped MSG suit in hopes of NBA comeback


Cuttino Mobley is hoping that dropping a lawsuit against the New York Knicks allows him to finally realize his goal of making an NBA comeback. Mobley sued Knicks’ owner MSG in 2011 while claiming they essentially forced him to retire in order to collect insurance money on his contract, but ESPN’s Jared Zwerling says the 37-year-old decided to drop the lawsuit because it wasn’t going anywhere.

The lawsuit contended moreso that the Knicks acquired Mobley from the Los Angeles Clippers specifically because they knew about his heart condition — hypertrophic cardiomyopathy — and had doctors that would keep him from playing in the NBA, thereby allowing the Knicks to collect insurance money on the remainder of his NBA contract.

“[Cuttino] wants to play again in the NBA. He dropped the case because no team would sign him,” the source said Friday. “He believes he was misdiagnosed by the Knicks and had sued them 2½ years ago. But because [the lawsuit] wasn’t going anywhere, and it was taking too long, he decided to drop it to possibly get in with another team.”

Mobley hasn’t suited up since the Knicks ordeal, competing in his last NBA game on Nov. 19, 2008, but there have been rumors about a possible comeback for the past couple of years. Those rumors are expected to heat up now, too, because Mobley believes the outstanding lawsuit was keeping him from being signed by another NBA team — and not the fact, apparently, that he’s been out of the league for nearly five years and has a heart disease that is known to cause sudden cardiac death in young athletes.

It’d be nice to see Mobley make a comeback as he was a very entertaining player during his career with the Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings and Clippers, but hopefully safety is considered before taking the next step on the comeback trail.

PBT Extra bold prediction previews: Knicks will be better. Slightly.

Leave a comment

I like the Knicks’ offseason moves. Well, not blowing the meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge before it ever started — you say the right things and take him to a nice dinner because that is the kind of elite player you need to try to land. Take the meeting.

However, bringing in Robin Lopez and Arron Afflalo were smart pickups, and I like the Kristaps Porzingis draft pick more than many (although we need a couple of years to see how good he will really be). Combine that with a healthy Carmelo Anthony and…

The Knicks suck less. They aren’t good, but they aren’t embarrassing. And that is step one, as I discuss with Jenna Corrado in this latest PBT Extra.

Matt Barnes says he went to house because his son looked distressed

Derek Fisher, Matt Barnes, Russell Westbrook
1 Comment

So far, the only substantive accounts of the Matt Barnes-Derek Fisher altercation have come from anonymous sources.

The Knicks coach has deflected questions.

But Barnes is giving his account, at least of the lead-up.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:

It’s completely understandable that Barnes would act to ensure his children’s welfare.

And let’s say everything he said is true. It still leaves important questions unanswered.

Did Barnes – as he reportedly texted a friend he did – beat up Fisher and spit on his estranged wife, Gloria Govan? If so, why did Barnes deem that necessary to protect kids?