Greg Oden impressed the five teams that attended his private workout in Indianapolis last week, and more than one is said to be interested in taking a shot on the former number one overall draft pick whose career has been derailed to this point by a series of debilitating injuries.
Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, and Atlanta all got a look at Oden, and while representatives from Dallas didn’t attend the workout, there is said to be a level of interest there, as well.
Wherever Oden chooses to sign, the decision isn’t likely to come until this weekend, at the earliest.
From Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald (via HoopsHype):
Center Greg Oden probably won’t decide among the Heat and five other teams until this weekend, agent Mike Conley Sr. said Tuesday, adding that formal offers haven’t been made yet. He said the Heat has seen “all it needs to see” from a medical standpoint and that Oden won’t necessarily take the highest offer. But asked if a Heat offer at the $1 million minimum would be good enough, Conley said he was not sure.
It’s interesting that Oden has yet to receive any offers, but it’s all part of the negotiating process. Much like restricted free agency, no team wants to be the one to set the market for a given player, only to see that player get a better deal to play elsewhere.
A one-year deal for the minimum isn’t likely going to be enough to get a deal done with Oden, unless only one team steps up with a bona fide contract. And while he may be looking for a low-key environment to make his comeback, he’s still more likely than not to end up in the situation that offers him the most guaranteed dollars.
Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.
He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:
In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”
“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.
The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.
Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.
Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.
General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.
McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.