The Mavericks were one of five teams Dwight Howard met with during his free agent tour, but for whatever reason, they were eliminated from contention fairly early in the process.
Now that Howard is with Houston, and Dallas has been forced to fill in its roster with many smaller pieces that may or may not help the team return to the playoffs, it shouldn’t come as any surprise that the spin from the team’s owner Mark Cuban is going to be a positive one.
“I think we’ve put ourselves in a spot where we’re in a better spot than we were at if we got just the one max-out deal,” Cuban told ESPNDallas.com during the Mavs’ summer league game Wednesday night. “I think it’d be better shorter and longer term. I don’t want to make that sound the wrong way. I think we’ll be better this year because we added five good players or more.”
Cuban might be right about his team being better off in the shorter term without Howard and with the players the Mavericks were able to sign instead. But that logic only makes sense for one season.
Even with Howard in the fold and a healthy Dirk Nowitzki next year, no one would have Dallas near the top of their list of favorites to compete for the title. The sales pitch to Howard, and why it might’ve made sense to strongly consider Dallas as a destination, had to do with the future, beginning with the 2014 season.
Nowitzki’s current contract would be up by then, and he’s already gone on record saying he’ll take a substantial pay cut in his next deal in order to maximize his team’s chances of signing the talent necessary to return the Mavs to a championship-caliber squad. With Nowitzki and Howard in place, Dallas would immediately have become an attractive destination for the biggest names in free agency to consider.
Once Howard was out of the picture, Dallas signed Jose Calderon and Monta Ellis, and added Samuel Dalembert, as well. Those pieces might help the team more immediately than Howard would have given what the rest of the roster might have looked like, but it’s impossible to buy what Cuban is selling regarding his team being better off overall without Howard in place.
Spurs to give Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili Friday night off in Denver
That is the first night of a back-to-back, with former Spurs’ assistant coach Mike Budenholzer and his Atlanta Hawks coming to San Antonio on Saturday. Popovich is saving his two veterans for that game.
Duncan and Ginobili have looked like they found the fountain of youth this season. Duncan is taking on less of the offense but has been very efficient in those moments. Ginobili has the impact he did a few years back in his bench role.
What Gregg Popovich cares about is them playing like that come the postseason. So they will rest on Friday.
Rejecting the tender is a favor to the drafting team, which gets to keep the player’s exclusive rights for a year. If Thornton tries to join the NBA now, he’s stuck negotiating with only the Celtics.
By accepting the tender, the player typically gets one of two outcomes. He either plays on that contract and draws an NBA salary or he gets waived. But even getting waived is better than rejecting the tender, because at least the player becomes a free agent and can negotiate with any team.
Players who reject the tender go to another league and play for less money. In Thornton’s case, that mean Australia.
How’s that going?
(Almost) never reject the required tender as a second-round pick.
Byron Scott says they just have to get Kobe Bryant better looks
Kobe Bryant is averaging 15.2 points a game at age 37. It’s just taking him 16.4 shots per game to get there. After his 1-of-14 shooting performance against the Warriors the other night — with too much isolation and too many plays run just for him — there has been a lot of talk about his shot. With reason, this is his shot chart so far this season.
So what do the Lakers’ do? Get Kobe to shoot less and get the ball in the hands of the young stars they supposed to be developing more? Nah.
“I know his mentality is that he can still play in this league,” Scott said. “And we feel the same way….
“Obviously he’s struggling right now with his shot, and I think everybody can see that,” Scott said. “So it’s trying to get him in better position to be able to have an opportunity to knock those shots down on a consistent basis. That’s No. 1.
“I don’t know if it’s his legs. I don’t think so. Again, our conversations are pretty blunt. … He tells me when he is tired and he tells me when he’s not tired. And the last few days, he said he feels great. So, I don’t think it’s a matter of him being tired or his legs being tired. I think it’s a matter of his timing being a little off.”
Yes, how could it be his legs? It’s not like he’s a 37-year-old with more than 55,000 NBA minutes played, and coming off an Achilles rupture and major knee surgery.
Honestly, I hope the Lakers and Kobe find a balance soon, because they have become just hard to watch. And I don’t want Kobe to go out this way.