Kendall Marshall

Report: Suns put Kendall Marshall on the trade block

8 Comments

The Suns brought in a new GM this offseason in Ryan McDonough, who has already begun to put his stamp on the team with a couple of critical moves.

The hiring of Jeff Hornacek as head coach seems to be a solid choice at this early stage of things, and the trade to get Eric Bledsoe from the Clippers was one that several teams around the league were trying to pull off in order to obtain the dynamic young guard’s services.

There may be more moves on the horizon in Phoenix to try to quickly correct the mistakes incurred by the previous regime, and the latest reports say that moving Kendall Marshall, whom the team selected with the 13th overall pick in last year’s draft, may be at the top of that list.

From Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com:

The Suns have put Kendall Marshall on the trade block in hopes of getting some return on the 2012 lottery pick, several league executives told NBA.com, with Marshall at No. 3 on the depth chart at point guard at moving to upgrade the position.

“He’s out there,” said a member of one personnel department, meaning Marshall is available.

“They’re trying to attach him to pretty much any deal that comes up,” another executive said here at summer league. “If you want to talk about any of their players, they include him. He’s basically the price of admission to any trade right now.”

“I wouldn’t say he’s available,” Suns general manager Ryan McDonough, hired in May, said Monday. “Everybody has a price, right? It depends on what that price is.”

It’s important to remember that any good general manager will have a constant and continuous dialogue with others in the league who are in the same position, and that just because a player’s name is mentioned in the early stages of any trade discussions, that doesn’t mean that he’s necessarily on his way out of any particular situation.

What we do know is that the newly-acquired Bledose will almost certainly be in the starting lineup for the Suns alongside Goran Dragic in the backcourt. That would relegate Marshall to backup minutes at best, so if another team has a bigger place for Marshall available in its rotation, including him in a deal might make some sense.

It’s worth noting that Hornacek likes some of what Marshall is able to do at the point guard position, and Marshall looked good in the team’s first Summer League game on Saturday, showing no signs of weakness in terms of initiating the uptempo offense that Phoenix plans to run under its new head coach this season.

But if there are assets to be had in return for a player that new management isn’t yet sold on, then the Suns, like any well-run team, will certainly explore those options.

Victor Oladipo with the two-handed throw down over Dwight Howard (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

That. Was. Nasty.

After some good ball movement from the Thunder (which started with pretty much their entire team collapsing on Russell Westbrook), Victor Oladipo drove out of the corner aggressively, Dwight Howard tried to rotate over, but he was a step too late and… damn.

By the way, if your question is “did Westbrook get his sixth straight triple double” the answer is of course he did.

Report: LeBron James, other Cavaliers will not stay at Trump hotel in New York this week

NEW YORK, NY - MAY 02:  A view of the Trump International Hotel on May 2, 2016 in New York City.  (Photo by Rob Kim/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

There are a few regular hotels where NBA teams stay in the New York area, one of them is the Trump Hotel in Soho. It fits the general bill — high-end hotel that works to cater to the specialty needs of NBA players and teams, and it’s in a great location in the city.

It’s where the Cleveland Cavaliers were booked to stay when the team visited New York this week, but LeBron James and other Cavaliers have been excused by the team and will stay at another location, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPN.

A group of Cleveland Cavaliers players have been excused from staying at the team’s planned accommodations, the Trump SoHo hotel in lower Manhattan, when the defending champions visit New York City this week to play the New York Knicks, multiple team sources told ESPN.com.

Other members of the team’s traveling party will stay at the 46-story luxury building opened in 2010 and branded through a licensing agreement with President-elect Donald Trump, as the Cavs have a contract with the establishment…

LeBron James is included in the faction of players who will not be staying at the Trump SoHo, according to multiple sources. James publicly endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton about a month before Clinton lost the election.

Richard Jefferson, J.R. Smith, and Iman Shumpert have all expressed unhappiness with the election results publicly. Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert was a Trump supporter who conducted a fundraiser for the now president-elect.

These players are not the only ones making this move, and several teams have worked to shift away from Trump properties nationwide.

Of course, this is going to lead some people to freak out in the comment section — people who barely watched the NBA for the last decade will proclaim their boycott of the Cavaliers and league — but honestly, what LeBron is doing is what we should all do, support businesses and causes that align with our beliefs. Avoid those that don’t. If you don’t like the way they run their business and donate money, don’t eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. If you have issue’s with Donald Trump, don’t stay at his hotels and don’t golf at his courses. Speak with your dollars, it’s often the most efficient way to get a message across (hence the unending parade of “boycotts” of businesses across the nation).

So long as LeBron cleared this with the team and makes it to shootaround on time, this is no big deal. But, go ahead in the comments and tell us about how you’re disrespected.

Lakers’ Jose Calderon out 2-4 weeks with hamstring strain

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 18:  Jose Calderon #5 of the Los Angeles Lakers reacts to a called foul during the second half of a game against the San Antonio Spurs at Staples Center on November 18, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) — Los Angeles Lakers guard Jose Calderon will be sidelined for at least two weeks with a strained right hamstring.

The Lakers announced their latest injury problem Monday before hosting Utah in their 11th game in 18 days.

The Lakers also recalled rookie center Ivica Zubac from their D-League affiliate.

Calderon is averaging 4.7 points and 2.6 assists in his first season with the Lakers. The veteran Spanish point guard became a starter last month when D'Angelo Russell was sidelined with a sore left knee.

Calderon, Russell and Nick Young are all out for the Lakers (10-12). They have been among the NBA’s pleasant surprises, but injuries and a brutal schedule are conspiring against them.

Larry Nance Jr. sat out Saturday in Memphis, while Julius Randle missed games last month.

Reports: Boston interested in trade for Andrew Bogut, Mavericks not there. Yet.

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 08:  Andrew Bogut #6 of the Dallas Mavericks reacts to scoring during the second half of a game against the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center on November 8, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
1 Comment

There has been speculation around the league that now that the Dallas Mavericks are struggling, there will be a sell-off. Harrison Barnes is a future lynchpin, Dirk Nowitzki isn’t going anywhere, but there are a lot of players that are more win-now than the place the Mavericks seem to be, so those guys could get moved for future assets.

At the top of the list: Andrew Bogut.

In a shock to nobody, there is a report that Boston would be interested, via A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.

As the February trade deadline draws near, the Boston Celtics are expected to take a close look at adding a defensive-minded, rebounding big man with Dallas’ Andrew Bogut likely to emerge as a target.

The former No. 1 overall pick is the final year of a three-year, $36 million contract he signed with the Golden State Warriors in 2014. He is due to make $11.027 million in this, the last season of the contract.

Dallas (4-15) has the worst record in the NBA and are likely to continue building for a post-Dirk Nowitzki with a high lottery pick in June’s NBA draft. Adding another first-round pick from Boston would benefit a squad that has to increase its quality depth going forward. Having another first-round pick can only enhance their roster.

While you can see the logic from the outside, inside the Dallas’ offices they are not in that place, reports Tim MacMahon of ESPN.

Sources tell ESPN that Mavs have no immediate intention to shop C Andrew Bogut, as their focus, for now, is trying to salvage their season. However, Mavs management recognizes that Bogut has significant value in the trade market as a proven championship-caliber complementary piece in a contract year and could become motivated to move him if and when it becomes clear that the Mavs have no hope of making the playoffs this season. Several league sources said the Mavs should be able to get a first-round pick from a contender for Bogut.

Let’s be honest: Dallas isn’t making the playoffs. They can make their worst-in-the-West record look a little better — six of their next eight games are at home, at some point they will get Dirk Nowitzki back — but they are not climbing over six teams and making up the 11 games they are below .500 just to get in the mix for the potential eight seed.

Which means expect them to be looking for deals as the deadline nears, and Andrew Bogut may well get moved. But we’re going to get past Christmas before that talk starts to gain real traction.