Dwight Howard wraps up final free agent meeting with Lakers, now we wait

45 Comments

The Lakers got the last word they requested with Dwight Howard, holding the final meeting with the offseason’s most coveted free agent on Tuesday.

The presentation from the Lakers lasted less than two hours, and was reported to include Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Mike D’Antoni, along with team general manager Mitch Kupchak, members of the Buss family which owns the team, and representatives from Time Warner Cable, as well.

Nash and D’Antoni spoke briefly with reporters before leaving the scene, and while both sounded hopeful, they also know that the decision lies completely in Dwight’s hands.

“I’d like to say I was persuasive, but it’s a tough decision for Dwight,” Nash said, via Mark Medina of the L.A. Daily News. “We talked about last year and how it could be built on.”

Howard predictably didn’t want to get into the specifics or be badgered into answering questions about when his decision will be reached.

“I had a lot of great meetings,” he said, via Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com.

Howard met with five teams in total — the Rockets opened the festivities Sunday night, and were followed by the Warriors, Hawks and Mavericks before wrapping things up with the Lakers.

The Warriors would need to complete a sign-and-trade to acquire Howard under the salary cap rules, and the Lakers have previously said that’s not an option they’ll offer to Howard as part of this process.

Howard is expected to make his decision as soon as the moratorium for signing free agent contracts is lifted on July 10, but can verbally agree to either stay with the Lakers or play somewhere else anytime before then — which is what’s been happening with the high volume of trades and free agent signings we’ve seen in recent days.

As far as handicapping the odds of where Howard will ultimately choose to sign, anyone who followed his saga with the Magic a season ago knows better than to try to predict what Howard will decide. As D’Antoni said following the Lakers’ last formal chance to persuade Dwight to stay, all anyone can do is hope for the best.

“You do what you got to do,” D’Antoni said. “Dwight will make his decision. Hopefully it’s the Lakers.”

Kupchak released a statement following the meeting, via Lakers.com:

“Jim Buss, Mike D’Antoni, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Tim Harris and I, along with representatives from our partners at Time Warner Cable SportsNet and AEG, met this afternoon for approximately two hours with Dwight Howard and his representatives Dan Fegan and Happy Walters. At the meeting, we told him how important he is to the Lakers team, franchise, fans and community, and why we feel this is the best place for him to continue his career. We are hopeful that Dwight decides to remain a Laker.”

Report: Warriors re-signing JaVale McGee to one-year contract

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Warriors helped rehabilitate JaVale McGee‘s career to the point he wanted more – more money, a starting spot.

But old reputations die hard, and it’s a tough market for free-agent centers.

So, McGee is returning to Golden State.

ESPN:

The Golden State Warriors are re-signing center JaVale McGee to a one-year contract, source told ESPN’s Chris Haynes.

McGee could receive between the minimum ($2,116,955) and Non-Bird Exception ($2,540,346). He’ll cost Golden State between $5,968,023 and $10,511,120.* Here’s guessing he gets the minimum.

*Factoring in the NBA’s reimbursement for one-year minimum contracts and the luxury tax, also assuming the Warriors keep the same roster when the tax is assessed at the end of the regular season

Golden State played to McGee’s strengths by simplifying the game for him. He chased lobs, blocks and rebounds and was asked to do little else. He still made the occasional gaffe, and questions about his basketball intelligence remain, but McGee progressed in his never-ending battle to stifle the laughter.

Not every team could protect McGee like that, so he’s more valuable to the Warriors than others. He’ll take another crack at free agency next summer, but at 30, he might not find eager suitors then, either.

In Golden State, he’ll again join a center rotation that includes Zaza Pachulia and David West and maybe Damian Jones and Jordan Bell. With stars at every other position, the Warriors have taken an equalitarian approach at center.

McGee gives the Warriors 15 players clearly on standard contracts, the regular-season limit. Chris Boucher is on a two-way contract, and Antonius Cleveland might be, too. Even if he’s on a standard contract, Cleveland is unlikely to stick past the preseason. It seems we know the roster Golden State will take into the regular season.

Then again, McGee surprisingly made the regular-season roster on an unguaranteed deal last year. Maybe he’ll have to fend off challengers this year.

Warriors lock up Cleveland

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Warriors smoked the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals.

Now, the Warriors are taking control of Cleveland.

Antonius Cleveland.

NBC Sports Bay Area:

Golden State agreed to terms on a training camp invite with Antonius Cleveland, NBC Sports Bay Area has learned.

Cleveland went undrafted out of Southeast Missouri State, where the 6-foot-6 guard was either a late bloomer or just a 23-year-old who outgrew his competition. He’s likely ticked for the Warriors’ minor-league affiliate, either as an affiliate player waived in the preseason or maybe even on a two-way contract.

Did the Warriors sign Cleveland for the jokes? Probably not. He’s a viable developmental prospect.

But they also signed JaVale McGee in Nick Young the last couple years. I can’t completely rule it out.

Report: Lakers signing Thomas Bryant to two-year contract with team option

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Lakers have negotiated just a few contracts this summer – Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Tyler Ennis and now Thomas Bryant.

The deals all have something in common: no guarantees beyond 2018, when the Lakers are expected to pursue free agents like Paul George and LeBron James.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

The Lakers still had the room exception, so they could’ve offered more than the minimum. They might have had to get Bryant to bypass the required tender, a one-year contract – surely guaranteed at the minimum – teams must extend to maintain draft rights to a second-round pick.

Bryant entered the draft a year too late. After looking like first rounder last year, he returned to Indiana and saw his stock slip. He’d have reason to bargain for more compensation.

Brook Lopez is clearly the Lakers’ top center, but there are minutes available behind him. Bryant will join Ivica Zubac in the effort to prove they play hard enough and have enough skill to overcome their lack of athleticism.

Tim Hardaway Jr.’s reported reaction to Knicks’ $71 million offer: ‘Man, that’s crazy’

2 Comments

Knicks acting (now long-term) front-office leader Steve Mills signing Tim Hardaway Jr. to a four-year, $71 million offer sheet shocked some within the Knicks.

It also apparently shocked someone who wasn’t (yet) with New York – Hardaway himself.

Pablo Torre on ESPN:

I was talking to somebody who would know about the Tim Hardaway Jr. scenario. Tim Hardaway Jr.’s first words after signing that contract: “Man, that’s crazy.”

In the likely event Hardaway doesn’t live up to this massive contract, he’ll get blamed – and the scorn will be hotter in New York.* That’s not fair, as Hardaway was just taking the money offered to him. He wasn’t getting anywhere near that much anywhere else. But it is reality.

*It’s a lesson Kyrie Irving, who could land anywhere, could stand to remember as he reportedly hopes for the Knicks to trade for him.

As hilarious as Hardaway’s response was, it doesn’t top Tyler Johnson for my favorite reaction to a loaded offer sheet.