Philadelphia 76ers introduce Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson

Andrew Bynum won’t work out for teams as a free agent


Andrew Bynum didn’t play a single game for the Sixers last year, due to knee injuries that kept him from basketball for the entire season.

Bynum is now an unrestricted free agent, but the likelihood of Philadelphia coming through with the dollars it will take to sign him is minimal, at best. The team’s new GM Sam Hinkie said as much during his introductory press conference.

“I think of Andrew like the thousands of other young men walking around the world that are unrestricted free agents that have potential to play NBA basketball,” Hinkie said. “He is one of those. I’m duty bound to consider them and look at them. All of them.”

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

As Bynum prepares to sell another team on his services, questions about his health and history of injuries are bound to come up. But while Bynum and his agent are happy to divulge any medical information surrounding the big man, the All-Star center won’t be showing off what he can currently do physically for any of the interested teams.

From Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports:

Bynum’s agent, David Lee, said his Bynum will begin training in July in Atlanta in preparation for next season after completing his rehabilitation from knee surgery. The knee injury caused Bynum to miss the entire 2012-13 season with the Sixers. Lee said there are a “half dozen teams” interested in Bynum and they will be given MRI and other needed medical reports. Bynum, however, will not work out for teams.

This position is understandable, at least to a certain extent.

Bynum has proven himself at the NBA level, and if doctors have cleared him to play and MRI results show no lingering issues, then teams should be willing to make offers based on the available information.

Something tells me, however, that this is just a way for Bynum’s camp to make it known publicly that he won’t be going on a pre-draft-like tour of teams to try to convince them of his long-term ability to contribute to an NBA franchise.

If a particular team comes calling with a max contract offer that Bynum is interested in accepting, it’s more than likely that a private workout would be granted under the right circumstances.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.