Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce talk over a play in the fourth quarter against the New York Knicks in Game 5 of their NBA Eastern Conference basketball playoff series in New York

Now what for Celtics? Maybe Garnett stays and Pierce is traded

22 Comments

Doc Rivers is going to be coaching the Los Angeles Clippers next season.

Which is strange to imagine, but it’s a reality. So where does that leave Boston — are Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett going to be back next season? Boston is starting its rebuilding process, but how much are they going to do the first year?

In the case of Pierce, the Celtics have until June 30 to make a decision — keep him for one more season at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million. But there is a growing third option: Trade him.

More and more it appears that is the option the Celtics want to take. Adrian Wojnarowski breaks it down t Yahoo Sports.

The Celtics have to make a decision before June 30 if they want to buy out the remaining $15 million on Paul Pierce’s contract for $5 million, but Boston is finding that scenario less and less likely, sources told Yahoo! Sports. There’s been enough trade interest from contending teams who still see the 35-year-old Pierce as a plausible third offensive option, sources said.

We told you the rumor of one deal: Cleveland offered two second round picks. That’s not going to get it done, that’s a lowball offer. But it shows there is interest and for Boston the idea of getting something back for Pierce rather than pay $5 million and get nothing certainly has appeal.

But Celtics GM Danny Ainge isn’t going to send Pierce just anywhere — Pierce would likely have some input where he lands. This is a Celtics legend and he deserves some consideration in the matter. Second, the quality of offers coming back certainly plays a role, also.

Kevin Garnett is not going to Los Angeles as part of the Doc Rivers move, the league said they will veto it (maybe a deal with a third team can be worked out, but that is a long shot).

If Rivers and Pierce are gone and Boston is rebuilding then you would think Garnett would hang up his sneakers. But don’t bet on it, Wojnarowski said.

Garnett has two years, $24.4 million left on his Celtics deal, but there’s a growing belief that he’ll play one more season before retiring and joining his old coach, Flip Saunders, with a ceremonial role in Minnesota ownership, league sources told Y! Sports.

We will see, he could change his mind. Or, a trade offer could come in that Garnett and the Celtics like enough to take (KG has a no trade clause so he would have to sign off on any deal).

But it appears he wants to play one more season, even if the Celtics wouldn’t be a real threat in the East.

Dwyane Wade ‘honored’ to be Prince’s favorite player

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Season 2
Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favorite basketball player.

The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis.

Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57.

Referees admit error at end of Thunder/Spurs, will add call to training in future

Leave a comment

It’s hard to describe the final play of the Thunder Game 2 win over the Spurs and the officiating during it for a family-friendly publication such as this. The phrase I want to use starts with “cluster” but that’s as far as I can go.

The officiating crew missed a host of calls during those final 13 seconds, but they have at least owned up to the most egregious one — missing Dion Waiters pushing off Manu Ginobili while the Thunder guard tried to inbound the ball. (Yes, Ginobili’s foot was on the line, but sorry Thunder homers that was not close to the most egregious miss at the end.)

After the game, the lead official Kenny Mauer admitted that error.

Now the NBA referee’s union released this statement:

Did that decide the game? No. We like to focus on things we can blame as going wrong, but the Spurs offense started 2-of-15 shooting on the night, was inconsistent, and they still had a chance at the end. This one play is not why the Spurs lost. Manu Ginobili said it well postgame.

Raptors’ Bismack Biyombo given after-the-fact Flagrant 2 for elbow to Pacers’ Turner, no suspension

TORONTO, ON - APRIL 26:  Bismack Biyombo #8 of the Toronto Raptors celebrates a dunk late in the second half of Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Indiana Pacers during the 2016 NBA Playoffs at the Air Canada Centre on April 26, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Bismack Biyombo is going to be key for Toronto in their second round series against Miami. The Raptors will need his rim protection when Goran Dragic and Dwyane Wade start to drive.

Which is why the Raptors are lucky he did not get suspended for this blow from Game 7 vs. the Pacers (watch Biyombo elbow Myles Turner in the face in the middle of the key):

https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js

At the time there was no call — as bad a miss as anything from the end of the Thunder/Spurs game — but after the fact the NBA has assessed a flagrant 2 foul on Biyombo.

However, no mention of a suspension for this incident alone. The Raptors catch a break there, as Biyombo should have been tossed from the game and/or given a suspension for that elbow. That said, one more flagrant and he does get a suspension.

NBA’s Basketball Without Borders to host first event in Australia

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 21:  A general view is seen of the city skyline over Melbourne Park during day three of the 2015 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 21, 2015 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Andrew Bogut. Dante Exum. Matthew Dellavedova. Patty Mills. Joe Ingles. Technically Kyrie Irving (he was born there but plays internationally for the USA).

Australia has brought a fair amount of talent — and scrappy players — to the NBA, and now the NBA is taking one of its outreach programs there.

Yesterday the NBA, FIBA, and Australia’s National Basketball League announced a Basketball without Borders event June 23-26 at Dandenong Basketball Stadium in Melbourne. It’s the first time the community outreach program will come to the island nation of Australia.

“We are pleased to partner with FIBA and the NBL to bring the first Basketball without Borders camp to Australia,” NBA Asia Managing Director Scott Levy said in a statement. “The league has seen a surge of Australian talent in recent years, and we look forward to supporting the next generation by giving them a platform to showcase their skills alongside their peers from throughout the region.”

These events bring in youth basketball players and work with them, both giving young players highest quality instruction and raising the profile of the sport in the nation with a little star power. Basketball Without Borders will celebrate 15 years this summer and has been all over the globe with similar events.

Now they can check Australia off the list.