Image (1) Jvangundy-thumb-250x181-12768.jpg for post 2289

Clippers reportedly targeting ‘big names first’ in head coaching search


There’s a good reason that the Clippers coaching search is delivering an almost daily stream of updates. If Chris Paul re-signs in free agency as expected, it’s by far the team closest to championship contention of any that are currently in need of a new head coach.

Former Suns coach Alvin Gentry is the latest candidate believed to be on L.A.’s list, joining the likes of Nate McMillan and Byron Scott as experienced leaders that the Clippers will target once the interview process formally begins.

Before the team gets to meeting with the reasonably available, however, it’s expected that it will explore options that are more of a longshot first.

From Ken Berger of

Prior to fully opening their search, however, the Clippers are said to be “going for big names first,” according to a person with knowledge of their plan. Those include Jeff and Stan Van Gundy, Pacers assistant Brian Shaw and Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins, the person said.

It’s unclear how Brian Shaw made it to the “big names” list, considering he doesn’t have any prior head coaching experience, although he has been on the staff of some elite teams. (And maybe it’s just me, but yelling ‘ball don’t lie’ at a referee doesn’t exactly make you look like a poised leader ready for the responsibilities of the job.)

Shaw and the Pacers have also made it known that he won’t be pursuing any coaching opportunities while Indiana is still playing in the postseason.

Stan Van Gundy has said that he doesn’t plan to return to coaching anywhere next season, and Jeff Van Gundy hasn’t commented on any coaching opportunities since his name surfaced in relation to the Brooklyn Nets job earlier in the year. Hollins will be coveted by many teams, but just because he’s not currently under contract in Memphis for next season doesn’t mean that he’s in a hurry to try his luck somewhere else.

It’s a nice list to assemble, and you can’t blame the Clippers for exhausting all options. But it’s more than likely the team will be looking at experienced guys like Scott, Gentry, and McMillan, all of whom appear to be eager to get back to coaching next season.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.