Stephen Curry suffered no setbacks with injured ankle, says he’s ‘ready to go’ for Game 5

3 Comments

The left ankle injury that Stephen Curry suffered late in Game 3 was a legitimate cause for concern for the Warriors. Despite Curry’s cold shooting in the last game and a half before it occurred, few believed that Golden State would be able to beat the Spurs without him.

Curry played in the Warriors’ overtime Game 4 victory, and played well. He finished with 22 points on 7-of-15 shooting (5-of-10 from three-point distance), to go along with six rebounds and four assists in 39 minutes of action.

The only question surrounding Curry’s health was whether or not there’d be any swelling in the ankle the next day, or whether the pain injection he took in order to play would have any lasting effects. Speaking to reporters at shootaround in advance of Game 5 on Tuesday, all signs from Curry seemed to be positive.

From Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News:

-CURRY: I feel good. Ready to go tonight. It feels a whole lot better than it did before Game 4, so that’s all I could ask for.

-Q: You said you just wanted it to feel like it did after Game 4. So it’s better than that?

-CURRY: I woke up yesterday, it wasn’t worse than it was before the game, which is a huge success. And then was able to capitalize on that with treatment the last day or so.

So mission accomplished, to be able to play Game 4 and not have any setbacks or kind of delay the healing process for tonight.

Curry went on to say that he wouldn’t play with a brace on the left ankle, and that he doesn’t expect it to require surgery in the offseason. He also said he didn’t plan on taking an injection for Game 5, despite having had to do so three times previously already in the postseason.

One more item of note, in case there was any doubt about just how great of a shooter Curry is: he wasn’t able to get any shots up between games 3 and 4 due to his ankle receiving constant treatment, and didn’t touch a basketball until layup lines minutes before tip-off. The result? Curry knocked down his first two shot attempts in the game’s first three minutes, both from well beyond the three-point arc.

Report: Warriors re-signing JaVale McGee to one-year contract

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Warriors helped rehabilitate JaVale McGee‘s career to the point he wanted more – more money, a starting spot.

But old reputations die hard, and it’s a tough market for free-agent centers.

So, McGee is returning to Golden State.

ESPN:

The Golden State Warriors are re-signing center JaVale McGee to a one-year contract, source told ESPN’s Chris Haynes.

McGee could receive between the minimum ($2,116,955) and Non-Bird Exception ($2,540,346). He’ll cost Golden State between $5,968,023 and $10,511,120.* Here’s guessing he gets the minimum.

*Factoring in the NBA’s reimbursement for one-year minimum contracts and the luxury tax, also assuming the Warriors keep the same roster when the tax is assessed at the end of the regular season

Golden State played to McGee’s strengths by simplifying the game for him. He chased lobs, blocks and rebounds and was asked to do little else. He still made the occasional gaffe, and questions about his basketball intelligence remain, but McGee progressed in his never-ending battle to stifle the laughter.

Not every team could protect McGee like that, so he’s more valuable to the Warriors than others. He’ll take another crack at free agency next summer, but at 30, he might not find eager suitors then, either.

In Golden State, he’ll again join a center rotation that includes Zaza Pachulia and David West and maybe Damian Jones and Jordan Bell. With stars at every other position, the Warriors have taken an equalitarian approach at center.

McGee gives the Warriors 15 players clearly on standard contracts, the regular-season limit. Chris Boucher is on a two-way contract, and Antonius Cleveland might be, too. Even if he’s on a standard contract, Cleveland is unlikely to stick past the preseason. It seems we know the roster Golden State will take into the regular season.

Then again, McGee surprisingly made the regular-season roster on an unguaranteed deal last year. Maybe he’ll have to fend off challengers this year.

Warriors lock up Cleveland

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
2 Comments

The Warriors smoked the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals.

Now, the Warriors are taking control of Cleveland.

Antonius Cleveland.

NBC Sports Bay Area:

Golden State agreed to terms on a training camp invite with Antonius Cleveland, NBC Sports Bay Area has learned.

Cleveland went undrafted out of Southeast Missouri State, where the 6-foot-6 guard was either a late bloomer or just a 23-year-old who outgrew his competition. He’s likely ticked for the Warriors’ minor-league affiliate, either as an affiliate player waived in the preseason or maybe even on a two-way contract.

Did the Warriors sign Cleveland for the jokes? Probably not. He’s a viable developmental prospect.

But they also signed JaVale McGee in Nick Young the last couple years. I can’t completely rule it out.

Report: Lakers signing Thomas Bryant to two-year contract with team option

Ethan Miller/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Lakers have negotiated just a few contracts this summer – Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Tyler Ennis and now Thomas Bryant.

The deals all have something in common: no guarantees beyond 2018, when the Lakers are expected to pursue free agents like Paul George and LeBron James.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

The Lakers still had the room exception, so they could’ve offered more than the minimum. They might have had to get Bryant to bypass the required tender, a one-year contract – surely guaranteed at the minimum – teams must extend to maintain draft rights to a second-round pick.

Bryant entered the draft a year too late. After looking like first rounder last year, he returned to Indiana and saw his stock slip. He’d have reason to bargain for more compensation.

Brook Lopez is clearly the Lakers’ top center, but there are minutes available behind him. Bryant will join Ivica Zubac in the effort to prove they play hard enough and have enough skill to overcome their lack of athleticism.

Tim Hardaway Jr.’s reported reaction to Knicks’ $71 million offer: ‘Man, that’s crazy’

2 Comments

Knicks acting (now long-term) front-office leader Steve Mills signing Tim Hardaway Jr. to a four-year, $71 million offer sheet shocked some within the Knicks.

It also apparently shocked someone who wasn’t (yet) with New York – Hardaway himself.

Pablo Torre on ESPN:

I was talking to somebody who would know about the Tim Hardaway Jr. scenario. Tim Hardaway Jr.’s first words after signing that contract: “Man, that’s crazy.”

In the likely event Hardaway doesn’t live up to this massive contract, he’ll get blamed – and the scorn will be hotter in New York.* That’s not fair, as Hardaway was just taking the money offered to him. He wasn’t getting anywhere near that much anywhere else. But it is reality.

*It’s a lesson Kyrie Irving, who could land anywhere, could stand to remember as he reportedly hopes for the Knicks to trade for him.

As hilarious as Hardaway’s response was, it doesn’t top Tyler Johnson for my favorite reaction to a loaded offer sheet.