Lakers' Howard and Nash walk up the floor during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Pacers in Indianapolis

Steve Nash says he wants Dwight Howard back with the Lakers

35 Comments

The biggest question facing the Lakers this summer isn’t the health of Kobe Bryant, and if he’ll be able to make it back in time for the start of next season.

Undoubtedly, it’s whether or not Dwight Howard will decide to return to Los Angeles.

Bryant is the Lakers’ most important player, obviously. But next season will be his 18th in the league, so he’s likely to only be around for another couple of years at most. Howard, meanwhile, is in the prime of his career, and has the option to sign a max contract that will keep him in purple and gold for the next five seasons.

The Lakers want to build around Howard moving forward into its post-Bryant era, and they need an All-Star level player just like him who would embrace being the future face of the franchise. Most see the combination of the team and its big market city as a perfect situation for Howard to settle into for the long haul, and that includes Steve Nash.

From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

“I’m very hopeful that Dwight will be back,” Nash said Monday. “I think this is the place for him. He’s in the prime of his career. He’s got his best years ahead of him. He can play for one of the greatest franchises in sports and an amazing city. This has got to be the place for him and I’m hopeful that he sees it that way.”

Howard, 27, becomes a free agent in July, able to sign a five-year, $118-million deal with the Lakers or a four-year, $88-million deal with someone else.

While the $30 million difference in guaranteed money may seem like an incentive to stay (and it is), it won’t be the main factor in Howard’s decision.

Playing for the Lakers is anything but easy, given the championship level of expectations that are rightfully heaped upon the players’ shoulders season after season. The team does everything it can to assemble a roster capable of winning a championship every single year, and as we saw this season, when things aren’t going as planned, it can be especially draining for the team’s superstars.

Howard said this year was “like a nightmare,” remember, so whether or not he wants to deal with the possibility of failed expectations in Los Angeles — where every season is literally championship or bust — will weigh heavily in his decision.

As for Nash, of course he wants Howard back. He came to Los Angeles to try to be a part of a championship contender, and having a dominant rim-protecting presence inside would certainly be a key component in the Lakers once again achieving that level of success.

Dwyane Wade ‘honored’ to be Prince’s favorite player

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Season 2
Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favorite basketball player.

The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis.

Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57.

Referees admit error at end of Thunder/Spurs, will add call to training in future

Leave a comment

It’s hard to describe the final play of the Thunder Game 2 win over the Spurs and the officiating during it for a family-friendly publication such as this. The phrase I want to use starts with “cluster” but that’s as far as I can go.

The officiating crew missed a host of calls during those final 13 seconds, but they have at least owned up to the most egregious one — missing Dion Waiters pushing off Manu Ginobili while the Thunder guard tried to inbound the ball. (Yes, Ginobili’s foot was on the line, but sorry Thunder homers that was not close to the most egregious miss at the end.)

After the game, the lead official Kenny Mauer admitted that error.

Now the NBA referee’s union released this statement:

Did that decide the game? No. We like to focus on things we can blame as going wrong, but the Spurs offense started 2-of-15 shooting on the night, was inconsistent, and they still had a chance at the end. This one play is not why the Spurs lost. Manu Ginobili said it well postgame.

Raptors’ Bismack Biyombo given after-the-fact Flagrant 2 for elbow to Pacers’ Turner, no suspension

TORONTO, ON - APRIL 26:  Bismack Biyombo #8 of the Toronto Raptors celebrates a dunk late in the second half of Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Indiana Pacers during the 2016 NBA Playoffs at the Air Canada Centre on April 26, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Bismack Biyombo is going to be key for Toronto in their second round series against Miami. The Raptors will need his rim protection when Goran Dragic and Dwyane Wade start to drive.

Which is why the Raptors are lucky he did not get suspended for this blow from Game 7 vs. the Pacers (watch Biyombo elbow Myles Turner in the face in the middle of the key):

https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js

At the time there was no call — as bad a miss as anything from the end of the Thunder/Spurs game — but after the fact the NBA has assessed a flagrant 2 foul on Biyombo.

However, no mention of a suspension for this incident alone. The Raptors catch a break there, as Biyombo should have been tossed from the game and/or given a suspension for that elbow. That said, one more flagrant and he does get a suspension.

NBA’s Basketball Without Borders to host first event in Australia

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 21:  A general view is seen of the city skyline over Melbourne Park during day three of the 2015 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 21, 2015 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Andrew Bogut. Dante Exum. Matthew Dellavedova. Patty Mills. Joe Ingles. Technically Kyrie Irving (he was born there but plays internationally for the USA).

Australia has brought a fair amount of talent — and scrappy players — to the NBA, and now the NBA is taking one of its outreach programs there.

Yesterday the NBA, FIBA, and Australia’s National Basketball League announced a Basketball without Borders event June 23-26 at Dandenong Basketball Stadium in Melbourne. It’s the first time the community outreach program will come to the island nation of Australia.

“We are pleased to partner with FIBA and the NBL to bring the first Basketball without Borders camp to Australia,” NBA Asia Managing Director Scott Levy said in a statement. “The league has seen a surge of Australian talent in recent years, and we look forward to supporting the next generation by giving them a platform to showcase their skills alongside their peers from throughout the region.”

These events bring in youth basketball players and work with them, both giving young players highest quality instruction and raising the profile of the sport in the nation with a little star power. Basketball Without Borders will celebrate 15 years this summer and has been all over the globe with similar events.

Now they can check Australia off the list.