The Charlotte Bobcats were not going to win a lot of games this season if Red Auerbach and John Wooden rose from the dead to co-coach the team. There just wasn’t enough talent.
But Mike Dunlap in his one year could not seem to reach what players he did have to the satisfaction of ownership and the team has fired him after one season, it announced Tuesday.
“Rich Cho and I conducted our season-ending review and met with coach Dunlap to reflect on this season. As an organization, it was decided that we needed to make a change with the head coach position,” president of basketball operations Rod Higgins said in a released statement. “We want to thank Mike for his contribution and wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Dunlap was an off-the-radar hire, he had been an assistant at St. John’s University the season before. It was hoped he would connect with the young players, but that didn’t pan out.
The Bobcats went 21-61 last season, the second worst record in the NBA. Remember they got off to a fast 7-5 start, but after that fell apart. While it was a mess, at least that was an improvement over 2012, when they won seven of 66 games, the lowest winning percentage in NBA history (.106).
As for replacements, again look for the Bobcats to go with a young coach. You may think working for Michael Jordan is a draw, but for a coach with options the things that are draws are franchises willing to pay top dollar (the Bobcats are small market and not big spenders) and those with a lot of young talent (strike two for Charlotte). Stan Van Gundy isn’t walking through that door. What they do have are some nice young players (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist for one), more than $20 million in cap space and another top 5 draft pick this year. Charlotte is a multi-year rebuilding project and the Bobcats are better off with a young coach who seems to connect with his players even while they struggle. Jacque Vaughn did that in Orlando, for example — they only won 20 games but that team played hard for Vaughn.
Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.
He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:
In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”
“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.
The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.
Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.
Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.
General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.
McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.