NBRPA Lunch With Champions

Spencer Haywood told he made Hall of Fame, then told sorry, no you didn’t


It’s one thing not to make the cut for the Hall of Fame when you should clearly be in.

It’s another to be told you are in, then find out you are not.

Spencer Haywood was told he was in and his former agent released that information last Friday afternoon (we ran it here at PBT as did many outlets). But later that day he found out he had been misinformed and had not made the cut. Yea, I’d be pretty pissed off, too.

Haywood spoke to the Las Vegas Review Journal about it.

“I don’t know why there was confusion,” Haywood said Saturday from Atlanta, where he is attending the Final Four. “Someone from the NBA told me I was in, then I found out Friday night that I wasn’t in.

“This is so embarrassing. My stomach has been so bad I can’t eat, I can’t sleep. This isn’t a punch in the stomach. It’s below the stomach.”

The official announcement comes Monday in Atlanta, and we know Gary Payton and Bernard King are in (as are college coaches Jerry Tarkanian, Guy Lewis and Rick Pitino).

The other blow to Haywood is that he should be in — one of the most graceful big men ever to play the game he is an NBA champion, an ABA MVP and Rookie of the Year, a four-time NBA All-Star (plus one in the ABA) plus he has a gold medal. He averaged 20.5 points and 9.9 rebounds a game for his career. That is a killer resume.

He should be in anyway, but this is the Hall of Fame and this is what we always seem to get.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.