We could pretty much put Kevin Durant or LeBron James on this list anytime they play, they are the two best players walking the planet right now. It would get boring to list them every night, so we look around. But sometimes we just need to acknowledge in this space these guys are special. Oh, and you can’t stop Goran Dragic… or at least the Nets couldn’t.
Third Star: Kevin Durant(24 points, 10 rebounds)
This was a very business-like night for Durant. He took 17 shots, was knocking down threes, grabbing boards and just generally being efficient. His accomplishments this season — he’s on pace to shoot 50 percent from the floor overall, 40 percent from three and 90 percent from the free throw line. He is having one amazing season.
Second Star: Goran Dragic(31 points, 12 assists, 9 rebounds)
The Suns had a chance in this one because of Dragic, who was setting guys up and making plays for three quarters, then put up 11 points in the fourth in the quarter when he and Deron Williams were driving their teams toward the finish. Williams came out on top but Dragic showed why he’s the highest paid player on the Suns roster ($7.5 million this season and the next two at that same rate).
First Star: LeBron James (32 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists)
No Dwyane Wade, so he was going to have to take on more of the offense. After a slow few minutes he realized he was playing the Bobcats and just took over the game doing whatever he wanted, running the pick and roll with Chris Andersen or just throwing down dunks. The Bobcats were largely helpless against him. LeBron would have had a triple double except he was getting some rest for the final 8 minutes of a Heat blowout. One man can’t win a basketball game, but this was as close to that as you’re going to get for a stretch.
Rockets change from earlier reports, waive Pablo Prigioni, keep Tyler Ennis
With Patrick Beverley out injured, this leaves the Rockets thin at the traditional point guard spot. However, in practice James Harden, Eric Gordon and others will initiate Mike D’Antoni’s offense, so the bigger challenge will be defensively. Prigioni was not much help there at this point in his career.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a team snaps up Prigioni as insurance, or he certainly can make money overseas. Prigioni played last season as a backup point guard for the Clippers.
Want some dance lessons from Hassan Whiteside? We got that.
LeBron James is the best player on the planet when he dials it up, and he reminded every one of that leading his Cavaliers to the NBA title last season.
On the other side of the scale, after losing the title, the Golden State Warriors reloaded by adding Kevin Durant to a roster that already won 73 games and went to Game 7 of the NBA Finals last season. Along those same lines, the Spurs added Pau Gasol to replace Tim Duncan, and the Celtics picked up Al Horford to bolster a strong young team.
“I know teams switch and pick up new coaches or new players, and their whole goal is kind of they want to beat me,” James told cleveland.com, in a candid discussion about the upcoming year and his place in the sport at age 31, in this his 14th season. “It’s never just about me, but I always hear them saying, ‘We gotta beat LeBron.’ It’s not just me on the court, but I understand that teams get together in this conference and across the league to try to beat me.”
If anyone should be used to having a target on his back, it’s LeBron.
And he’s not wrong. You can argue he did the same thing in Miami, but he’s not wrong in this case.
The Warriors adding Durant was all about confounding how Cleveland and everyone else can defend the Warriors — particularly the small-ball “death lineup.” Oklahoma City and Cleveland had success putting their best defensive forward (Durant of OKC and LeBron for Cleveland) on Draymond Green and switching his pick-and-roll with Curry, then hoping Harrison Barnes didn’t make their big pay in a mismatch. Barnes couldn’t, it worked.
Now take out Barnes and put in Durant. Good luck defending that lineup now.
LeBron is right, the Warriors did target him. He’s the champ. He and the Cavaliers are the bar to clear. Can he and Cleveland rise up o task is the real question?
NBA TV host Kristen Ledlow says she was robbed at gunpoint
ATLANTA (AP) — NBA TV personality Kristen Ledlow says she was robbed at gunpoint at her home.
The host of “NBA Inside Stuff” said on Twitter and Instagram Sunday that she was held up the day before “by three men who knew who I was, where I lived and were waiting for me when I got home.”
She says in addition to stealing her car, purse and phone, the thieves took her “sense of security.” She says she’ll be taking a break from social media as a result of the incident because she says she “will not become a slave to fear.”