Mike Woodson, Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo has fluid on knee, will not play Wednesday vs. Pistons

9 Comments

UPDATE 6:32 pm: And what we expected has become official, the Knicks have announced Carmelo Anthony will not play Wednesday night against Detroit, tweets Marc Berman of the New York Post (as well as other media).

Will Anthony play against Oklahoma City on Thursday? It’s possible, coach Mike Woodson said. Personally I wouldn’t bet on it, but it’s possible.

Woodson also confirmed that Kurt Thomas will get the start. So the starting five is Thomas, Tyson Chandler, James White, Raymond Felton and Iman Shumpert. Good luck getting a lot of offense out of that group.

12:21 pm: Nothing is official — because they are the Knicks and all injury reports must be shrouded in mystery for reasons unknown — but I wouldn’t bet on Carmelo Anthony suiting up Wednesday night when the Knicks take on the Pistons.

Thursday night the Knicks host Oklahoma City on national television.

Anthony tweaked his knee Monday night, did not play the second half then said after the game his knee had been bothering him for a while and this was just an aggravation of it. He had an MRI to check things out and our friend Howard Beck of the New York Times tweets coach Mike Woodson’s comments on it.

Woodson also said he likely would start Kurt Thomas if (ok, when) Anthony sits. That would leave Amare Stoudemire, coming off his best game of the season, still coming off the bench. And the Knicks starting lineup would need Raymond Felton to create all the offense. Interesting choice.

Then why not start… oh, forget it.

Woodson also tried to throw himself on the sword for Anthony’s nagging knee issues saying he didn’t sit him when Carmelo asked. That from an interview with ESPN Radio in New York (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“I should have. But stubborn coach, I just didn’t. We’re down 22, I’m going to leave one of my best players in the game. Maybe I should have taken him out before he actually stumbled and took the fall. Again, I’m thinking the game. I’m thinking he’ll play through it, he’ll figure it out. But hey, he was hurting. He walked out after he took the spill and he didn’t come back. That’s not Melo-like. Obviously his knee was bothering him.”

Does anybody believe that if Anthony asked out Woodson would turn down his request? Carmelo could request Woodson run up the block during the game and grab him a slice of pizza and Woodson would do it. No way he doesn’t sit him.

But it’s the Knicks. What did you expect, honesty?

Richard Jefferson wears crazy Snapchat glasses for POV look at dunking (VIDEO)

richard jefferson
Getty
Leave a comment

Cleveland Cavaliers veteran Richard Jefferson has a legendary Snapchat account, and I think it just got even better.

During a video posted to Jefferson’s account on Saturday, viewers were able to see a point-of-view account of what it’s like to be an NBA player practicing 3-pointers and dunking down lob passes.

Thanks to a pair of Snapchat Spectacles — a video camera in a set of glasses and paired with the social application — Jefferson gave us a taste of what it’s like to be an NBA player, if only for a moment.

I think it’s pretty cool to see from his perspective. Thanks to the evolution of wearable technology and 3D viewing equipment this is probably just a very small preview of what our viewing experience for the NBA is going to be like in 10-15 years.

LeBron James Jr. easily drops halfcourt shot on dad’s Instagram (VIDEO)

lebron james jr bronny
Instagram
Leave a comment

Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James likes to throw in a couple of halfcourt shots before games, just as a little warmup. It looks like his son, LeBron James Jr. is following in his footsteps.

On Friday, James posted a video to his Instagram of Jr. — known as “Bronny” — casually tossing in a halfcourt shot at Quicken Loans Arena.

Via Instagram:

Bronny showing the range post game!! Something lite. #JamesGang🔥 #StriveForGreatness🚀

A video posted by LeBron James (@kingjames) on

That’s one talented 12-year-old kid.

Liquor company Jägermeister says Bucks’ new logo is too similar to their own

buckjagerlogo
4 Comments

MILWAUKEE (AP) A German company that makes a popular liqueur is not raising a shot glass to the Milwaukee Bucks’ redesigned logo.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Jägermeister has filed formal opposition with an appeal board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office about the registration of the logo.

The company contends it “has established exclusive rights in the DEER HEAD Marks through use in commerce in the United States” going back to 1968. It cites numerous reasons to oppose registration for the NBA team, including the possibility that people might confuse the two companies or believe they are connected or affiliated.

Both logos feature forward-looking deer with large antlers inside a circle or partial circle in about the same proportions.

Neither the Bucks nor Jägermeister returned messages seeking comment.

Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, http://www.jsonline.com

Carmelo on NBA CBA opt-out deadline: “I’m skeptical of something getting done”

Celebrity Sightings In New York City - May 07, 2015
GC
4 Comments

After months of reports that the NBA and the NBAPA would be able to reach an agreement on a new CBA, it appears the two sides have hit a snag.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN is reporting that the league and the player’s union are unlikely to agree to terms before Thursday’s deadline for the players to opt-out of the current CBA.

Via ESPN:

“I’m skeptical of something getting done,” Anthony, who is the vice president of the NBPA told ESPN after the New York Knicks practiced Saturday in Los Angeles. “Do I think something could happen by the 15th? Yeah I think something could happen. But I think this kind of put a dent in conversations.

“We had something so close. We were supposed to have a deal done weeks ago, and for this to happen at the 25th hour is tough.”

This is not good news for the talks, which have reportedly gone smoothly thus far and for good reason: money.

There’s more of it to be had all around for both sides, and as Basketball Related Income (or BRI) rises, so has the NBA salary cap.

Despite this unfortunate news, it’s not all doom and gloom for NBA fans hoping to avoid a lockout. While Dec. 15 is the opt-out date for the players and they will almost certainly take it, the current CBA doesn’t expire until June of 2017.

That means there won’t be any kind of work stoppage for the 2016-17 NBA season, but both sides would have a hard date of June 30 before ostensibly triggering one.

The good news is, hopefully, that since the two sides have already been working hard on a deal that they would be close on the terms they need to settle over the following six months.

A big question is apparently whether they can still make Thursday’s deadline, as Anthony has reportedly said it would take significant discussion time and constant work to finish the deal as it stands.

No word yet on what the issue is between the league and the players, as Anthony declined to elaborate.