File photo of Los Angeles Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss and US actor Jack Nicholson watching the WBC middleweight championship fight at the Staples Center in Los Angeles

Lakers owner Jerry Buss passes away at age 80


Lakers owner Jerry Buss has passed away at age 80 after a battle with cancer, NBC News has confirmed. It is a story first broken by Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.

Lakers spokesman Bob Steiner confirmed Jerry Buss was 80. His date of birth was Jan. 27, 1933.

It was just a few days ago that news broke of the severity of Buss’ condition.

Buss had been hospitalized for some time with an undisclosed form of cancer, but the news was kept private until recently, when players were reported to be visiting him because it was expected that he was in his final days.

Buss is widely recognized as the most successful franchise owner in NBA history, having purchased the Lakers (along with the Forum and the Kings of the NHL) for $67.5 million back in 1979. Buss later sold the Kings in 1988.

Forbes magazine recently valued the Lakers at more than $1 billion.

The Lakers won 10 NBA championships under Buss’ ownership, and his family remains in control of both the basketball and the business side of the team to this day.

Jim Buss is executive vice president of player personnel, and Jeannie Buss is the team’s executive vice president of business operations. The team will remain majority owned by the Buss family through a complex trust where each of Buss’ six children have a stake.

Carmelo Anthony says he can play at high level 4-5 more years

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp

Carmelo Anthony can flat-out score the rock — that has never been the question. Even hurting last season for many of the 40 games he played, he averaged 24.2 points a game, had a true shooting percentage of 53.1 percent (right near the league average) while having the entire weight of the Knicks offense on his shoulders (32.2 usage rate, fifth highest in the NBA). When people (or players) talk about him being overrated, the discussion turns to defense or if he makes his teammates better. But there should be no doubt Anthony is an elite scorer.

He thinks he will be for a while longer — like another five years. Via Ian Begley of ESPN:

In fact, the 31-year-old Knicks star is confident that he can play at a high level for the next “four or five years.”

“Without a doubt. Without a doubt,” Anthony said after the Knicks’ final training camp practice on Saturday.

The Knicks better hope that’s true, they already made that bet with that massive five-year contract they gave him last summer.

Anthony’s age combined with him coming off knee surgery have a lot of people — myself included — expecting him to take a step back. Not a big one, but he is coming up at the point in his career where some open shots he used to get are now contested because he’s half-a-step slower, and some of those looks don’t fall as often. His jumper isn’t suddenly going to look like Rajon Rondo‘s, ‘Melo is going to get his points, but he may not be as efficient.

Fortunately, the Knicks have an improved supporting cast around him this season. That should take some offensive load off his shoulders, and maybe the Knicks offense will see better ball movement and start to resemble the triangle. If it’s just more isolation Anthony, it’s not going to be pretty.

Kings pick up option on G Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore, Rodney Hood
1 Comment

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) The Sacramento have picked up the 2016-17 option on guard Ben McLemore‘s contract.

General manager Vlade Divac announced the move Saturday.

McLemore was Sacramento’s first-round pick in 2013. He averaged 12.1 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists last season.