dwight rashard lewis

Rashard Lewis believes Dwight Howard will re-sign with Lakers

20 Comments

As the Lakers continue to make their way through this especially turmoil-filled season, one thing looming large at the end of it all will be the decision that Dwight Howard will need to make this summer as an unrestricted free agent.

The Lakers certainly weren’t worried about the possibility of Howard leaving when they traded for him, believing that the wealth of talent surrounding him, along with playing in one of the biggest media markets for one of the most winning franchises would be more than enough to convince him that finishing his career in Los Angeles was by far the most attractive option.

Based on how this season has gone, however, Howard may not be as excited to stay in L.A. as everyone once thought. Now playing for a head coach who doesn’t traditionally favor post play offensively, and dealing with teammates questioning the severity of his injury and his willingness to play through pain, it seems at least possible that Howard may be more and more open to exploring his options when the time comes.

Despite all of that, one of Howard’s former teammates still sees L.A. as the favorite to retain the big man’s services.

From Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida:

Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard Orlando teammate, believes Howard will re-sign with Lakers this summer as free agent.

“My gut feeling is I think he will,’’ Lewis who is now with the Heat and will face Howard on Sunday, told FOX Sports Florida. “I think he will be in L.A. … He most definitely likes the city, likes the organization. It’s one of the first-class organizations. The Lakers have a history of winning championships, and that’s what he wants to do is win championships. So we’ll see what happens at the end of the season, but my gut feeling is I think he’ll stay there.’’

Lewis played four seasons with Howard, but it’s unclear whether or not he has any insight into what’s going on with his former teammate in Los Angeles this season.

It seems as though everything is in place for Howard to indeed re-sign with the Lakers. One of the main reasons the team wanted him was to essentially hand over the club to Howard once Kobe Bryant retires (likely in a year or two), and make Howard the new face of the franchise as it transitions into a new era.

All of that is still on the table, and the plan, from an organizational standpoint, remains firmly in place. It’ll be up to Howard to decide whether or not dealing with the short-term issues becomes more trouble than it’s worth, to the point where it clouds what might be best for him long-term in deciding whether or not to re-sign with the Lakers this summer.

Dwyane Wade ‘honored’ to be Prince’s favorite player

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Season 2
Leave a comment

Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favorite basketball player.

The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis.

Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57.

Referees admit error at end of Thunder/Spurs, will add call to training in future

Leave a comment

It’s hard to describe the final play of the Thunder Game 2 win over the Spurs and the officiating during it for a family-friendly publication such as this. The phrase I want to use starts with “cluster” but that’s as far as I can go.

The officiating crew missed a host of calls during those final 13 seconds, but they have at least owned up to the most egregious one — missing Dion Waiters pushing off Manu Ginobili while the Thunder guard tried to inbound the ball. (Yes, Ginobili’s foot was on the line, but sorry Thunder homers that was not close to the most egregious miss at the end.)

After the game, the lead official Kenny Mauer admitted that error.

Now the NBA referee’s union released this statement:

Did that decide the game? No. We like to focus on things we can blame as going wrong, but the Spurs offense started 2-of-15 shooting on the night, was inconsistent, and they still had a chance at the end. This one play is not why the Spurs lost. Manu Ginobili said it well postgame.

Raptors’ Bismack Biyombo given after-the-fact Flagrant 2 for elbow to Pacers’ Turner, no suspension

TORONTO, ON - APRIL 26:  Bismack Biyombo #8 of the Toronto Raptors celebrates a dunk late in the second half of Game Five of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Indiana Pacers during the 2016 NBA Playoffs at the Air Canada Centre on April 26, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Bismack Biyombo is going to be key for Toronto in their second round series against Miami. The Raptors will need his rim protection when Goran Dragic and Dwyane Wade start to drive.

Which is why the Raptors are lucky he did not get suspended for this blow from Game 7 vs. the Pacers (watch Biyombo elbow Myles Turner in the face in the middle of the key):

https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js

At the time there was no call — as bad a miss as anything from the end of the Thunder/Spurs game — but after the fact the NBA has assessed a flagrant 2 foul on Biyombo.

However, no mention of a suspension for this incident alone. The Raptors catch a break there, as Biyombo should have been tossed from the game and/or given a suspension for that elbow. That said, one more flagrant and he does get a suspension.

NBA’s Basketball Without Borders to host first event in Australia

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 21:  A general view is seen of the city skyline over Melbourne Park during day three of the 2015 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 21, 2015 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Andrew Bogut. Dante Exum. Matthew Dellavedova. Patty Mills. Joe Ingles. Technically Kyrie Irving (he was born there but plays internationally for the USA).

Australia has brought a fair amount of talent — and scrappy players — to the NBA, and now the NBA is taking one of its outreach programs there.

Yesterday the NBA, FIBA, and Australia’s National Basketball League announced a Basketball without Borders event June 23-26 at Dandenong Basketball Stadium in Melbourne. It’s the first time the community outreach program will come to the island nation of Australia.

“We are pleased to partner with FIBA and the NBL to bring the first Basketball without Borders camp to Australia,” NBA Asia Managing Director Scott Levy said in a statement. “The league has seen a surge of Australian talent in recent years, and we look forward to supporting the next generation by giving them a platform to showcase their skills alongside their peers from throughout the region.”

These events bring in youth basketball players and work with them, both giving young players highest quality instruction and raising the profile of the sport in the nation with a little star power. Basketball Without Borders will celebrate 15 years this summer and has been all over the globe with similar events.

Now they can check Australia off the list.