Another report Chris Paul very likely to re-sign with Clippers

18 Comments

Chris Paul is simply put the best player available as a free agent this summer.

And while teams will call, the buzz around the league is none of them think they have a shot at him. Everyone is pretty convinced he will re-sign with the Los Angeles Clippers.

That includes the Clippers. Marc Stein wrote at ESPN.com that the Clippers are very confident that CP3 will not leave this summer.

As one source close to the situation put it this week when asked to grade the Clips’ chances of retaining CP3, keeping in mind his well-chronicled love of the Hollywood scene and the fact that this team was good enough to reel off 17 wins in a row earlier this season: “I’m saying 99.5 percent.”

There are a lot of reasons for optimism. One, Paul likes the Los Angeles lifestyle, and he puts his son and family first and they all seem settled. Next, the Clippers can offer him more money in a max deal than anyone else with larger raises. (The Clippers cannot offer a fifth guaranteed year because they gave their one five-year deal to Blake Griffin.) Also, the organization seems to listen to him in terms of player moves he’d like to see.

Most importantly, where else is Paul going to go where he would be closer to winning a title? We can debate if DeAndre Jordan can really provide the punch they need inside in the postseason, just like we can discuss how they could use another shooter. And there is always the Vinny Del Negro caveat when discussing the Clippers postseason. But the fact is the Clippers are close, very close. If they can play in the postseason like they did at their peak this season they are a legitimate challenger to the Thunder. The Clippers are in the red zone for a title, not starting the drive from their own 20 like they were for so long.

Things always can change. A playoff meltdown could alter the landscape. This team is still owned by Donald Sterling and he did not become a saint overnight. We could come up with a list of things that could go wrong, but the fact is they most likely will not. Chris Paul will be back with the Clippers next season.

Which is why when team around the league look at major free agents they can poach this summer, they are eyeing that other team in Staples Center, not the Clippers.

Report: Clippers hiring ex-Cavaliers executive Trent Redden

AP Photo/Mark Duncan
Leave a comment

The power dynamics within the Clippers are shifting, and the ground apparently hasn’t settled yet.

Doc Rivers has been stripped of his presidency. Jerry West became a consultant. Lawrence Frank now holds the most prestigious title in the front office, and newly hired Michael Winger will report to him. Also falling under Frank in the organizational chart? Trent Redden.

Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN:

Longtime Cleveland Cavaliers executive Trent Redden will join the LA Clippers’ front-office staff as assistant general manager, league sources said on Monday.

Redden was ousted in Cleveland with David Griffin. He’ll help the Clippers simply by providing another capable executive. They’ve long needed to add front-office employees (and pay for them).

But Redden also exacerbates the issue of Frank’s underlings having far more front-office experience than him. As the Clippers try to establish their new setup, we’ll see whether that creates complications.

Warriors’ Steve Kerr: I expect to coach all season and for many years ahead

AP Photo/Jeff Chiu
3 Comments

Warriors coach Steve Kerr has missed significant time the last two seasons due to complications from back surgery.

Could those issues derail his career?

Kerr, via Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle:

“I fully expect to coach all year,” Kerr says in a no-nonsense tone. “That’s my expectation. And for many years to come.”

On the most basic level, it’d be good if Kerr feels well enough to coach. The headaches sound miserable, regardless of his job.

But it’d also be ideal if the NBA didn’t lose one of its best coaches just as he’s getting started. The 51-year-old Kerr might wind up the greatest coach of all time. Obviously that’s a long way off, but he has that potential – health permitting.

Quinn Cook signing two-year contract with Hawks

Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for TNT
1 Comment

The Hawks began last season with just two point guards, one fewer than most teams – especially notable because neither starter Dennis Schroder nor backup Malcolm Delaney was experienced for his role.

Schroder and Delaney return, but Atlanta is adding another option – Quinn Cook.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

Cook is a borderline NBA player. He might not make the regular-season roster. He also might supplant Delaney for a rotation spot.

A 24-year-old who has spent most of the last two years in the D-League (also getting stints with the Mavericks and Pelicans), Cook is a good outside shooter. He’s also steady, if unspectacular, in his lead-guard duties.

This is a solid flier at a position the Hawks could use depth.

Knicks sign Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Jamel Artis

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Knicks signing Nigel Hayes leaked first.

But New York didn’t stop there.

Knicks release:

The New York Knickerbockers announced today that the team has signed forwards Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes and guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

Like Hayes, Artis (Pittsburgh) and Rathan-Mayes (Florida State) went undrafted this year – making them eligible to be waived and assigned to the Knicks’ minor-league affiliate. That’s likely all three’s fate.

But first, each will have an opportunity to make the regular-season roster. The Knicks have just 14 players with guaranteed salaries, leaving one roster spot for someone on a standard contract. Chasson Randle (unguaranteed) is the incumbent choice, but these three could supplant him.