Miami needs to get Chris Bosh more shots

17 Comments

Chris Bosh is having his most efficient season ever — he is shooting 54.3 percent overall, which is right there with LeBron James (54.7 percent) and better than Dwyane Wade (50.8 percent). He’s shooting better from 16 feet and out than he has in his career, pulling opposing bigs away from the basket to create lanes for LeBron and Wade. Bosh has got a PER of 20.7, the highest he has had in Miami.

But the Heat tend to overlook their third star, especially when games get tight.

The ball is in the hands of LeBron most of the time, Wade some of the time, and they can create their own shot whenever they want. Bosh is there spacing the floor and grabbing boards, but as it has been since 2010 he can get overlooked for long stretches. Sunday in a game that went to overtime against Boston Bosh got three shots after halftime.

Everyone that the Miami Herald spoke with said that needs to change.

“He’s one of our best players, one of our best shooters. …Three shots is definitely not enough for him,” James said. “We’ve got to do a better job of just trying to find him…”

This season, Bosh is averaging 12.2 shot attempts per game. It’s the second-lowest average of his career next to his rookie season despite the fact that he’s shooting better than ever.

Erik Spoelstra said the problem is lack of ball movement.

“If it’s a zero-pass, one-pass shot, a lot of guys aren’t getting those opportunities. And we weren’t really forcing enough triggers for the ball to end up finding its way to Chris, where he can take advantage.”

Like any team, when the Heat are making the extra pass, when they are sharing things go well. Both LeBron and Wade had seven assists each against Boston, but the extra pass wasn’t there. And Bosh was left in the cold.

It’s a long season and the Heat know what to do. We’ll see through the rest of the season they can build the habits of making the extra pass they will need in the playoffs.

Quinn Cook signing two-year contract with Hawks

Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for TNT
Leave a comment

The Hawks began last season with just two point guards, one fewer than most teams – especially notable because neither starter Dennis Schroder nor backup Malcolm Delaney was experienced for his role.

Schroder and Delaney return, but Atlanta is adding another option – Quinn Cook.

Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports:

Cook is a borderline NBA player. He might not make the regular-season roster. He also might supplant Delaney for a rotation spot.

A 24-year-old who has spent most of the last two years in the D-League (also getting stints with the Mavericks and Pelicans), Cook is a good outside shooter. He’s also steady, if unspectacular, in his lead-guard duties.

This is a solid flier at a position the Hawks could use depth.

Knicks sign Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Jamel Artis

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Knicks signing Nigel Hayes leaked first.

But New York didn’t stop there.

Knicks release:

The New York Knickerbockers announced today that the team has signed forwards Jamel Artis and Nigel Hayes and guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

Like Hayes, Artis (Pittsburgh) and Rathan-Mayes (Florida State) went undrafted this year – making them eligible to be waived and assigned to the Knicks’ minor-league affiliate. That’s likely all three’s fate.

But first, each will have an opportunity to make the regular-season roster. The Knicks have just 14 players with guaranteed salaries, leaving one roster spot for someone on a standard contract. Chasson Randle (unguaranteed) is the incumbent choice, but these three could supplant him.

O.J. Mayo says abusing prescription painkillers triggered NBA ban

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Last year, O.J. Mayo was banned from the NBA for at least two years due to a drug violation. Aside from stating a plan to come back, Mayo didn’t say much publicly.

Until now.

Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated:

He acknowledged smoking marijuana and abusing a prescription pain medication that triggered his two-year ban because it is on the NBA’s “drugs of abuse” list. (He emphatically denied testing positive for hard drugs like cocaine.)

Mayo also concluded that he had been “overwhelmed” by a string of difficult life events: his father, high school basketball star Kenny Ziegler, was sentenced to more than 10 years in prison for distributing crack cocaine, his brother was placed in juvenile lock-up, a close friend went to jail, and another was killed. “I was bred to play basketball and I thought I could balance everything,” he said. “I couldn’t.”

That’s part of an interesting feature on Mayo, who’s training for his come back. Golliver’s story makes it easy to pull for Mayo.

But the guard will be 30 when he’s eligible to apply for reinstatement, and he played lousily in his last three seasons with the Bucks.

Hopefully, Mayo has and keeps his personal life in order. But returning to the NBA will be an uphill battle.

James Harden throws alley-oop to Chris Paul, pair puts on show at Houston charity event

Leave a comment

What chemistry problem?

There are legitimate questions about how Chris Paul and James Harden will share the backcourt and ball with the Rockets, but none of those were on display on Sunday. That’s when CP3 joined his new teammate in Harden’s charity game (raising money for Harden’s charity, which helps children from single-family homes get a higher education), a kind of pro-am with some names thrown in to draw a crowd.

Harden and CP3 put on a show for the fans.

This is a charity event, not every team is going to defend like this or the Phoenix Suns. It’s going to be harder when the games matter.

But the Rockets are going to be entertaining to watch this season. No doubt.